The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tips, tips, tips.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2005-08-14 16:53, Dennis Loomis wrote:
Gazzo is seldom criticised in forums like this, and yet, out on the streets, he, and Danny Hustle, and Cellini really very strongly go after the cash. Why is it right in one venue and not in others?

Here's why. First of all, street performers are just that. People don't think of them as beggars. after all, they are begging ( Gazzo demands ) for money. we may love and admire them and respect their skills, but that's inside info.

At a fair, or on the street, there isn't a captive audience. They can walk away.

In a Restaurant, people are sitting at their tables, with no place to walk away. To make them feel uncomfortable so they feel obligated to tip is wrong.

If they tip of their own free will, then fine.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
sheydon
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of sheydon
If you watch a street perfomer you know they will pass the hat at the end, so you can choose not to watch. In a restaraunt when a magician approaches your table, if he introduces himself correctly then you won't have the chance not to watch. So asking for a tip in this situation is much worse than passing the hat. People will also assume that the restauraunt is paying you, they know that nobody is paying the street performer.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein
Enigmo
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Enigmo
Sheydon writes "if he introduces himself correctly, then you won't have the chance not to watch".

Do you tape their eyelids open?

Why do you think it's incorrect to give paying customers a choice to watch or not to watch?
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
Always approach a table and ask.
I've learned it from last sunday.
Up until now I've always approached a table cold. until there this one flat out uncivilized and insane woman tried to swing at me because she doesn't want to see magic and I was pulling coin from her hair...
You just never know what kind of insane people you will be running into these days.

+ I found that if you ask politely, 98% of the time they will say "SURE" and more willing to tip because they ASK YOU to perform for them, not the other way around.

just my 2 cents
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
If a child comes to my next table, or anywhere across the restaurant, I always take it, thanking them. It is just easier that way. I don't promote tips, and often discourage them--- gently--once. I then make the suggestion stated in my last post in this thread; tell the owner/manager you like me, you really, really like me. Smile If they ask me about a tip, I tell them the same thing. Sometimes they will still give a tip. Refusing a second offer is rude, IMHO. I also start my introduction noting that I am there, "courtesy of the owners / management".

The tips I recall the most are not the largest, though they are nice, but the child who pulls a quarter from their own pocket. While I feel self-conscious taking it, I know it comes from the heart, and I don't want to offend a child. That quarter is worth more to most kids than a twenty from daddy's pocket. I have also gotten 'tips' from kids which are a drawing of 'Jesterman'. I still have them all; ok, I am a BIG softy.

If I get an unusually large tip (say $20), I always make sure that the server was tipped at least a reasonable amount (they always have been). I want them to KNOW that I am not 'taking' their tips. One of the times I recall getting a twenty; it was a bidding war. He pulled out a couple of ones, she pulled out a higher bill, then he pulled out the twenty. Funny.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
1. Have a good show
2. Have a good personality
3. Make it all about them.
4. Smile and do a good job
5. Don't expect a tip

Patrick
Rolyan
View Profile
Special user
I'm fencing in my land; so far there are
590 Posts

Profile of Rolyan
Work in the UK, then realise how lucky you are!!!
themagicguy
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
280 Posts

Profile of themagicguy
Quote:
On 2005-08-12 00:33, Frank Starsini wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 18:37, Nash wrote:
Wow thanks for the replies guys.
here's the weird part: Basically I'm doing everything you guys suggested, like, not expecting tips, not soliciting for tips..

the first night I was very up=tight and nervous, yet I had the most tips..
now I'm actually more friendly (caz I'm loose), entertaining, and makes better connections with the audiences.... yet that translate to less tips.

am I desparate for tips? Nope. But it just puzzles me how I have became better yet they tip me less.
Do I want tips? You bet ya I do. I do have bills to pay afterall and 20-30 extra dollars to my pocket is always welcomed.
I don't think there's anything wrong with it neither.

Like I said, I'm just puzzled...

if people could tell you were uptight and nervous, perhaps they were giving you
pitty tips back then?

That explains why I must have got more tips when I first started! I was terrible at interacting with people! Weird.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2543 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 04:01, Alym Amlani wrote:
Not to fan the flame, but how do you answer the question "Do you take tips"
For me, when performing, I'll gladly take a tip; but its rather awkward when they ASK you if you take tips; are there lines people have used? Do you folks have any suggestions?

Thanks!

a.

When asked if I accept tips I say "It is appreciated but not expected." A simple answer that tells them a lot.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Tips, tips, tips.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL