The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fire Retention (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Can anyone direct me towards resources for this magical skill!

For those who know it by another name, fire retention is the ability to place a small fire club into one's mouth a retain a piece of flame that burns from the mouth for a few seconds after the torch has been removed.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
Sorry to get hung up on semantics; just don't want any novices misunderstanding--a retention is not a magic trick, it is real.

When done well, tho, it is magical.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Not sure why you are asking this, there are tons of posts and advice on fire eating already.

s
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Stephon - You are indeed correct and I apologies for my ambiguous use of words. I was refering to the the more mystical definition of 'magic'. As you said, done well, it is magical.

The Sponge - I'm yet to find a post that mentions oral fire rentention as opposed to traditional fire 'eating'. In traditional fire eating, the flame is simply put out in the mouth. In oral retention, the flame continues to burn as if one's tounge is on fire. Perhaps you know it by another another name?
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
It is something that you really should learn from someone in person. A lot of it, for me, depends on the type of wick that is used. I get very long retentions from my torches but I use a different wick then most. If you would like more info just PM me.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Thank you very much! I will do just that.

If anyone knows any Australia fire retainers it would be wonderful if you could put me in touch with them.
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
I would love to learn this, I call it vapour work, as you keep the vapours in your mouth. Use a fuel with a lower flash point than parrifine, but not petrol/gas. Thanks for the tip, daz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Fire Retention (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL