The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Wrist Chopper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

catbertek
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of catbertek
Hello all!
I have a question for more experienced stage magicians.
I do closeup magic now and am considering expanding a bit into some stage.

There is a cool wrist chopper at my local magic shop that I am looking at
but I have no idea if this is a good price. I have some smaller parlor
style stuff (e.g. circle ^2) but this would be my first "big prop"
investment.

It is a Delbin 2-hole wrist chopper made in 1975, looks in great shape.
number 111 of 200. asking is $2500. is that too little or too much or
just about right?

There is also a firecage for sale for about half that but I think it would
be quite a bit harder for me to transport.

Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Catbertek
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Since the Delbin isn't being made anymore, the price may be right. On the other hand, you might want to consider this two-hole wrist chopper: http://www.dazzlingmagic.com/new_items.htm

This is a new design and my understanding is that it doesn't work like the Delbin so it's not a knock-off. It's well made. I bought one from Laflin Magic. (They don't have it on their website but the do sell it.)

It's a lot less expensive and is basically the same effect.
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
I have seen four or five of the Delben Two Hole Wrist Choppers sell in the past few years. All have been in the $800-1,200 range. Most people who have seen the various versions of this prop agree that the Owen model is by far the best, and even a new Owen is less than the $2,500 for the Delben. I think you can even have a custom ATA case for the Owen and still be less than 2,500. I would highly recommend that route as it is a beautiful prop.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Even if you are a collector of Ben Stone's stuff the price is on the high side. They come up on eBay from time to time and sell for about $1,200.00 USD. I have seen them go for as low as $250.00 (that was a rare sale!).

If you are buying a prop to use regularly and to perform with in your act (you do have an act don't you?)then go with something like Mikey is recommending above.

Honestly, unless you are working very regularly (daily or at least several times a week) I wouldn't buy the Owen model. It is the best and it is made for the working professional.

What are your performance goals? What is your performing character? How does any particular routine and prop fit your character? These are questions you need to answer before you spend thousands on props.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Cat:

I agree with the others - $2500.00 for is much too high, even if the Delben model is in pristine mint condition. I'm surprised that others have seen the Delben model go as high as $1000.00, as I've seen three of them on ebay - the highest priced was $700.00.

I've got my eyes on the Fairchild Model that MagicMikey mentioned. In fact, I called Joe Eddie Fairchild a couple of days ago, and he answered all my questions about this new chopper. It definitely sounds like a big step ahead of the Delben model. I'm saving up for the Fairchild model now.

Ron
magicmanx
View Profile
New user
Working in Benidorm Spain
47 Posts

Profile of magicmanx
If you are just "considering" stage magic... it seems a very expensive prop to buy. Why not buy some lower priced stage magic...work out a routine and see if stage magic is for you... because close up and stage magic is like chalk and cheese...it might not be for you ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Stage Illusions » » Wrist Chopper (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL