The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Let's be honest most layman know the rings??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good thinking Bob!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
BOBBY GENE
View Profile
New user
BOB POYNTER
5 Posts

Profile of BOBBY GENE
Ladies and Gentlemen, please listen to my story about the Rings.
My wife of 45 years is the much-maligned, jaded magicians wife, but she is a dedicated, practical, talented registered nurse who fixes the toilette and beats me at Jepardy every tiem.
However, a few years ago we watched a talented magician perform the rings. When he finished, my wife told me she thought I should do that trick. I told her I did. But, she said, you don't do it the same way he does, do you? Isn't his equipment different from yours? She was well aware of the standard equipment,but I agreed and left it at that.
Go figure.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2518 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Remember how fooled you were when watching Richard Ross? It's all about presentation.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Why do we still do a Double Lift? Is it any less obvious than the way linking rings work?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- After forty-nine years in professional entertainment, I still enjoy a good linking ring routine much better than a good card trick any day. (And I'm a easy audience!) The image of skill is simply superior. I know I can only see one side of a card at a time. But I watch card tricks too.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
The rings continue to amaze even those who think they know the secret.

BJ
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
The old timers used to hand out all of the rings, at the same time. Doing that throws off the people who "know" how it's done. The how to can be found in the Odin Rings book, Benson Book, and Cellini Royal Touch book. It's the method I use to the most success. There is also a method in Tarbell I believe, but that only works with small 8" rings, although Odin Rings offers an alternative handling for large rings.
Wasn't in Lavante who said if the rings aren't handed out it doesn't mean anything?

If you want conviction, hand them out.

Paul
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I agree with Bob Sanders. Even though people might know how they work, they still enjoy a good show and presentation with them.

As in music, think about how many times you've heard Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin, Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd or Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 by....uhhh...I forget his name. You still listen, tap your foot and sing along. Same with magic. It's entertainment and people love the magic.

Mark.
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
Quote:
On 2007-10-16 11:21, Bob Sanders wrote:

They buy performances, not the gimmick!

Why would linking rings be any different?

I feel the same way Bob. I look at magic more like music. I am a trumpet player, singer, actor and magician. Well performed magic shows and even individual tricks are compositions. Many magicians could play the same composition as many trumpet players can play flight of the bumble bee. The reactions will range from "hey is that a trumpet?" to "wow that really sounds like a bumble bee" to just "that was awesome". We get the same in magic. If we just bang the rings together and apart a few times, people say "I wonder how he does that" but when the routine is composed well, they say "that was awesome". The performance helps the audience to transcend the analytical mind and move to a sense of wonder.
The real magic is family!
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
You know that commercial bottled water is just tap water too!

Light beer is regular beer plus 50% more tap water!

We are serving an audience. We work for them!

A professional entertainer works for the audience. A hobbyist works for himself.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I LOVE discussion about the rings as they are my FAVORITE effect! In no other effect do you have an object that can appear to link and unlink, pass through each other, form chains and other complex patterns and configurations. It's such a beautiful effect! Oh...and the sound. The wonderful chime they make as they link together. Mmmmm...quite hypnotic!

The only BAD thing about the rings is that some magi have a presentation that makes someone out to be the "guy that magic never works for." I don't like that. Once I saw a routine where the magi invited 2 kids on stage. One kid was the hero and the other was the stooge where nothing ever worked for them. When they walked off stage, one kid felt great and the other kid was almost in tears. I heard him tell his father "I don't understand why the magic never worked for me!" Boy was I MAD!!!!

How to fix this delima?

I do 4 different Ring Routines. In my regular cabaret show I do a 6 Ring Routine as an opener to music. It's a powerful opener and I always get tons of applause.

When I do a Corporate Gig where I'm asked to do something with the CEO or President of the company, then I do Whit Hayden's 4 Ring Routine. I usually do my own presentation with anything I do...however Whit is the MASTER and I do his routine exactly has he does. I've had people pee themselves (seriously) during this routine b/c they're laughing so hard during the effect. Also, even tho the "Magic isn't working for the CEO", to my vantage point, they're a great assistant as "they're even faster than I am!" with the rings. I'm giving them TONS of applause and they walk away feeling great! Tho I don't perform children's shows (maybe 2 or 3 a year), I will usually do Whit's Routine for kids as it plays great for them to and again...the child is the hero at the end. GREAT STUFF WHIT!!!!!! I am your #1 FAN!

During my Cabaret Show, if I decide to open with my manipulation act, then I will do Vernon's Ring Symphony later on in my show. I like this routine a lot becuase The Professor structures it where the spectator holds and examines EVERY SINGLE RING (in there mind). The best part of the routine is where vernon has all the rings linked onto the key and then says "now if all of these are linked onto the one here, then this must be the one that has the hole in it." He then hands them the key ring to examine (only it's not the key). In there mind they have examined each ring. Another great spot in The Professors routine is the roll down move. A great routine thru and thru.

When I stroll, I use the Ninja Rings. My Ninja Routine is made up of Shoot's and Whit's with some of my own stuff thrown in to balance it out.

Now for the part about nobody being fooled. It's one of my most requested. When people come up to me after the show, they always comment on how much they enjoyed the Rings and always ask me how I do it. I think that I fool 100% of my audience.

I use the Proline 15" Rings. Proline's full set is a 9 ring set. The standard 8 + a locking key. I also have a very cheap set of stainless 14" rings that I have altered so they are just 8 seperate seemless rings. I always have them out in my case after the show (my regular set I have put away) so if someone wants to fully examine them, they may. Odd thing tho...nobody ever does. It's like they don't care.

The rings are great and will ALWAYS be in my show. Even David Copperfield did the rings in one of his earlier specials. The effect will last the test of time and then some!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
prolineprops
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of prolineprops
Quote:
On 2007-10-30 11:24, lylemagic wrote:
I LOVE discussion about the rings as they are my FAVORITE effect! In no other effect do you have an object that can appear to link and unlink, pass through each other, form chains and other complex patterns and configurations. It's such a beautiful effect! Oh...and the sound. The wonderful chime they make as they link together. Mmmmm...quite hypnotic!

The only BAD thing about the rings is that some magi have a presentation that makes someone out to be the "guy that magic never works for." I don't like that. Once I saw a routine where the magi invited 2 kids on stage. One kid was the hero and the other was the stooge where nothing ever worked for them. When they walked off stage, one kid felt great and the other kid was almost in tears. I heard him tell his father "I don't understand why the magic never worked for me!" Boy was I MAD!!!!

How to fix this delima?

I do 4 different Ring Routines. In my regular cabaret show I do a 6 Ring Routine as an opener to music. It's a powerful opener and I always get tons of applause.

When I do a Corporate Gig where I'm asked to do something with the CEO or President of the company, then I do Whit Hayden's 4 Ring Routine. I usually do my own presentation with anything I do...however Whit is the MASTER and I do his routine exactly has he does. I've had people pee themselves (seriously) during this routine b/c they're laughing so hard during the effect. Also, even tho the "Magic isn't working for the CEO", to my vantage point, they're a great assistant as "they're even faster than I am!" with the rings. I'm giving them TONS of applause and they walk away feeling great! Tho I don't perform children's shows (maybe 2 or 3 a year), I will usually do Whit's Routine for kids as it plays great for them to and again...the child is the hero at the end. GREAT STUFF WHIT!!!!!! I am your #1 FAN!

During my Cabaret Show, if I decide to open with my manipulation act, then I will do Vernon's Ring Symphony later on in my show. I like this routine a lot becuase The Professor structures it where the spectator holds and examines EVERY SINGLE RING (in there mind). The best part of the routine is where vernon has all the rings linked onto the key and then says "now if all of these are linked onto the one here, then this must be the one that has the hole in it." He then hands them the key ring to examine (only it's not the key). In there mind they have examined each ring. Another great spot in The Professors routine is the roll down move. A great routine thru and thru.

When I stroll, I use the Ninja Rings. My Ninja Routine is made up of Shoot's and Whit's with some of my own stuff thrown in to balance it out.

Now for the part about nobody being fooled. It's one of my most requested. When people come up to me after the show, they always comment on how much they enjoyed the Rings and always ask me how I do it. I think that I fool 100% of my audience.

I use the Proline 15" Rings. Proline's full set is a 9 ring set. The standard 8 + a locking key. I also have a very cheap set of stainless 14" rings that I have altered so they are just 8 seperate seemless rings. I always have them out in my case after the show (my regular set I have put away) so if someone wants to fully examine them, they may. Odd thing tho...nobody ever does. It's like they don't care.

The rings are great and will ALWAYS be in my show. Even David Copperfield did the rings in one of his earlier specials. The effect will last the test of time and then some!

Just a quick clarification. The 15" FLT PRorings are now offered in a locking set of 8.

Cliff Wiggs
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
The routine will score with an audience every time. I did the rings the week the masked magician exposed them and people knocked over by the routine and totally amazed.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
652 Posts

Profile of Conus
I have found through audience feedback that people really enjoy seeing a good ring routine.

It's a classic.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have comments posted on my site about the rings:
"The Rings
Fearless attitudes are needed to perform magic. It’s not just the patter or the gestures that are needed to perform, there is the edge of the abyss that must be faced as you embark on an attempt to bring an audience with you on a magical journey. This can quickly turn into an unintelligible display of foolishness and amateur movement.

When one performs magic, one must become a character. Magic is acting and assuming a role of the magician. One must find a suitable vehicle to convey your magical prowess. Waiving a wand and wearing the appropriate outfit does not make you a magician nor actor. The outfit is just a costume but it gets you in the right frame of mind. The right effect must be discovered.

There is the easy way out, a self working effect that anyone can do if they have the wherewithal, or try an effect that has an element of danger. The danger is that the edgy effect may not work.

The rings is the ultimate classic magic effect that has the edgy and problematic performance level to invoke fear in the performer and can wind up a thing of beauty or an obvious puzzle.

The rings should never be a puzzle to be guessed, they should always be a performance to be watched. There is a chess-like attack in the performance. Each move builds to the next and misdirects and confuses until the spectator gives up the puzzle. Questions are answered before asked. Doubts are satisfied with each subtle move. In the end, subsequent answers can be only justified with only one possible answer. Something magical has occurred."

I have my routine on this link
http://magicians.podbean.com/the-rings/
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
>> When one performs magic, one must become a character. Magic is acting and assuming a role of the magician. <<

Hmmmm....I disagree. You are ALWAYS a magician regardless if you're performing or not. Being a Magician isn't something that we do...it's a way of life. The switch is never turned off. It's this way of thinking that bring confidence to ones performance.

I'm a Type A personallity as I'm sure most of us are. I'm always ON! It's a part of me. It's how I act, it's how I think, it's who I am. So you can call me a natural "character" I guess...but it never turns off....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I do agree with you Christopher, and I personally am always on, but this text was a suggestion to my students as to how to approach being a magician.
There were a few years when I did not want to be a magician anymore. So I acted like I wasn't. It always rose to the surface and called me back.
Not everyone is a magician or knows how to become one in the sense that you and I are discussing.
The mindset has to be acquired some how. This is a discussion I actually had with Jeff McBride when he was a boy (he and I started the Cardini S.A.M. in Middletown, NY). Jeff was one of the few who was always a magician perhaps born one. I had never seen him not in the personna.
What I also meant was that there was a character or defined personna. Being a magician is knowing the art and practicing the art. The performance end is the personna that one takes on and defines as his character. The wizard, or mentalist, the comedian, illusionist, or the classic performer. That is the acting I refer to.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5753 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2007-10-30 23:36, jaynet wrote:
The routine will score with an audience every time. I
did the rings the week the masked magician exposed them and
people knocked over bythe routine and totally amazed.

I remember doing a birthday party show, right after a masked moron special. A kid in the front row said, "I know how that's done - I saw it on TV!" I linked two rings and immediately handed them to him. He had a look on his face like he was going for the kill, as I thought, "Knock yourself out!" The look of shock on his face was priceless, as he realized that he had a lot to learn. I thought, "That won't be the last time that an adult on TV lies to you, kid."

With a good routine, it won't matter if the rings are in magic sets or not. Besides, a pro's rings are of much better quality than anything in a magic set, making more moves possible.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20514 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
We worry about people knowing how Linking Rings works because it is an old trick.

How many fell for the old Shrinking Glove Trick in a California court room? (Ask OJ!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
P.T. Murphy
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of P.T. Murphy
I love this topic. A very good friend of mine by the name of Benjamin Barnes does a WONDERFUL Linking Ring routine. He performs it to music (a Ramsey Lewis piece I believe) and it KILLS. He is graceful, he is likable, he has a very powerful physical appearance, and the audience LOVES this effect when he performs it.

His personality is what the audience is enjoying. His performance of this effect is a perfect example of the performer being the important factor NOT the trick.

I recently got into an argument with an ignorant and less informed performer who argued that people who insist on performing the Linking Rings were ruining magic by performing, in his opinion such a hackneyed piece of magic!!!

Let's face it, most people think they KNOW now much of our magic is performed. And they may be RIGHT! Does that mean that they don't enjoy seeing it performed well?

I know that Harry Potter is just a series of books!

But I love them anyway...because I allow my imagination to run wild...I allow myself to ask the question "WHAT IF"? And I am not afraid to explore the possibilities of the impossible! I think MOST people who pay to see a magic show want to experience MAGIC! Isn't that what it's is about?

***ed the nay sayers. Link away!
P.T. Murphy
www.ptmurphy.com
SenseiStrange
View Profile
Veteran user
The Dead God's Dreams
345 Posts

Profile of SenseiStrange
The linking rings, zombie ball and dancing cane are the most stunning and abused pieces of magic out there.

The linking rings have gone beyond being a trick for me. They are like the Japanese Kata, a moving meditation where I can achieve my Zen. The Rings are Tai Chi. The rings are the sacred hopi hoop dance for this simple magi.

I pray when I do my rings. My rings sing to me and I dance to their hum. I have stood in countless pagan circles, drums beating and fires roaring while raising my rings to the heavens and giving thanks. Through the rings my deepest spells are cast. Magic to make magic.

The rings are a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete form. The rings are a morphing blend of sacred geometry, flesh and steel.

I love the rings and carry them on me like a samurai carries his swords. The samurai believed that the sword was their soul, or at least their soul channeled through the blade. I believe I do the same with my rings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2coc6p5K0g
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Let's be honest most layman know the rings??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL