The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable wireless & rechargeable PA system (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I just got this from of all places Johnson-Smith, the place we used to see on the backs of comic books. Seems like a great unit for blue & gold, outdoor picnics and smaller venues where a PA is desireable but unavailable. Check it out I'd like your opinion. http://hisonic.net Click on PA systems, mine's the SH120B model.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Captain Jack
View Profile
New user
Sacramento
53 Posts

Profile of Captain Jack
Looks good. Sure wish I could have found one that size when I was looking. Wound up with a Passport 250 for the larger venues and a MP3 player/speaker system that I can hook up a wireless microphone to. Works great for music, but wish it was a wee bit more powerful for small outdoor venues.

Do you like this one? How well does it work?
Every man be a fool for 10 minutes each day. The trick is not in exceedin' the time limit!

Properly warned ye be, says I!
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1176 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
One of the most common problems with these smaller systems has been the level of gain before feedback. How does this one do with that?
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I'm not a tech guy but how many people can you reach with 15 watts?
cosermann
View Profile
Regular user
Indiana
144 Posts

Profile of cosermann
Are the rechargeable batteries easily replaceable?
Regards,
Eric
Dutch illusionist
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
96 Posts

Profile of Dutch illusionist
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 23:47, Frank Tougas wrote:
I just got this from of all places Johnson-Smith, the place we used to see on the backs of comic books. Seems like a great unit for blue & gold, outdoor picnics and smaller venues where a PA is desireable but unavailable. Check it out I'd like your opinion. http://hisonic.net Click on PA systems, mine's the SH120B model.

Frank Tougas

Do you like this system? And how much did you pay?

Magical greetings,

Dutch illusionist
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I came across this PA 'all in one system' and I am considering purchasing it.The price is right and it seems to have features found on more expensive units.I also like the idea of 30 watts.Most small systems are;10,15 or 20 watts.Does anybody have any comments or advice?

It can be found at: http://www.dtskaraoke.com/idpspowipasy.html

Rich
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Rich,
I don't think this is legal for use in the USA or Canada. It's listed as, "Frequency: VHF 180-270MHz". While I don't often refer much to VHF specifics any more, the last I knew, VHF was legally limited (by the FCC and by Industry Canada) to 8 specific frequencies in the 169-172 MHz range, and also to the 174-216 MHz range. This product goes up to 270 MHz, and I don't think the range from 216-270 is legal.

IMHO, legal issues are worth considering, and if I'm right about the frequency range (I'm 99% sure), then you may also want to consider how wise it is to enter into business with a company that, either;
a) has no regard for the law, or,
b) has chosen to sell products without bothering to check on what is legal.
Their address is in Los Angeles, so they are bound by these laws.

Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Dan:Thanks for the heads up.I am quite tech challenged.I have seen several other systems over 216 mhz.
Is it possible to set the frequency so that one does not enter into a restricted zone;in others words 180 - 216 mhz?,and stay away from higher frequencies?I certainly do not want to do anything unlawful.Thanks again.

Rich
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Rich,
The system you're looking at comes pre-set to a specific frequency, and it would not be possible for you or anyone else to change that frequency. This is typical of a VHF system. I imagine you could tell them that you want one below 216, but I can't imagine that any of these would carry FCC approval. You'd still, however, be dealing with a company that's operating illegally by importing and selling equipment that is in violation of FCC regulations.
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Hi Dan:I contacted the company selling this product:Their reply is below.

According to our buyer VHF 270mhz to 276mhz units are LEGAL for sale in the U.S. and Canada (hundreds of these units have been sold in Canada).
The PS-01 unit we sell is perfectly legal for sale in the U.S. If it were not U.S. Customs would not allow the importation of the product.

DTS KARAOKE

Dan I trust your knowledge until I hear something different.I did read somewhere in my research that interference in the higher frequency range(above 216MHz) is much less likley to be a problem than in the lower ranges.Like I said this is all new to me.Best

Rich
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
270 to 276 is not legal in Canada. It's a reserved military frequency.

Customs doesn't stop radio equipment at the border based on actual transmission frequencies, they depend on the paperwork that accompnies the device. If the paperwork is wrong, or incomplete, then the item might very well come across the border without issue. It's what happens when you start using it that will get it taken away from you.
Here's a breakdown for your reference:

216 to 220 fixed/land mobile/marine mobile
220 to 225 amateur
225 up Military Aeronautical *reserved for Canadian Govt use only*

Bottom line, if the manufacturer has shipped it to Canada, they've done so without appropriate clearance. Industry Canada absolutely monitors the restricted frequencies 24/7.

A very complete Canadian VHF chart is viewable here:
http://www.monitoringtimes.com/html/mtcanscan.html
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Hi, Rich!
They're saying 270-276 is legal. I haven't seen any documentation to that effect, but even if that is correct, that's not what they're selling. They're selling up to 270, not 270-276. My intent is not to argue with them, Rich, but even by their own statement, they're not within what they're supplier told them was okay.
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I really do not think DTS Karaoke knows WHAT the are selling,thus the misnamed frequency range in their e-mail.It should have stated 180-270MHz as the product description states.
However,I have seen may other brands for sale that go over VHF 216 MHz,and many are quite popular.
Dan if it say's 180-270 MHz,there is no way it can operate from 180-216 and not cause problems?Or is it a random frequency selected by the set so you never know where you are at.
How likely is it that secondary user
,who only uses it occasionally will cause problems to arise(not saying this is right)? It just seems that they would persue bigger fish,who daily flaunt the rules.At this time I am just trying to figure this whole thing out,so I make a prudent decision.Best.

Rich
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

As I said earlier, I may be wrong. Every resource I can find, though, supports what silverking has outlined above, and the USA is virtually idenical. I just checked the Web sites for Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Nady, Professional Wireless Systems, and ProSound Web, and they all still show no higher than 216, either for the products they offer, or in their references to FCC regulations.
Quote:
Dan if it say's 180-270 MHz,there is no way it can operate from 180-216 and not cause problems?

"Not causing problems" is not my only concern, but 180-216 is legal IF IT CARRIES AN FCC ID STICKER.

Other than that, I think I've contributed all I can, because I think this company is selling non-compliant, non-FCC-approved equipment, that the equipment operates in an illegal range, and that they don't know about wireless products and therefore can't provide support.

Please don't take this to mean I'm impatient with YOU, Rich, but I do have a very strong opinion about this company and the product.
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Dan:I know I was searching for a nice ending (or an out ) to this story,but I think I have come to the conclusion that there are some imported products that slip by the regulations and the merchant is usually not held responsible. It is the 'user' that bears the responsibility if something goes awry.Thank-you for your expertise.Best.

Rich
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Here Yea! Here Yea! I am getting very HOT.I just hope this is not another sad story. Here is the link http://audiorex.com/finalitem_1.cfm?pID=4098 I really like the idea of the cassette player inclusion.
Dan,please check this out.It looks great to me,but what the Hey do I know.Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Rich
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
793 Posts

Hey, Rich!
I have no experience with Pyle, so I have nothing constructive to offer, except that I suggest asking them if the product has an FCC sticker. I certainly ain't the best resource when it comes to selecting the least expensive audio option, but, whatever you choose, check out my Web site for free info on how to get the best performance out of it.
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Dan Wow! There is some Real important information on your site that is great for Tech challenged folk like me.Thanks.

Rich
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11911 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2005-08-11 23:47, Frank Tougas wrote:

Frank Tougas

I have the Hisonic PA 35 watts system and couldn't be happier. I use it for schools, stage you name it. It is plenty loud and I can be heard in the back of any venue. I use the hand held because Ive always had problems with the headset and lapel mic no matter what brand system Ive used. Stand here, don't move here etc....I move around a lot and use lots of helpers. I go into the crowd etc. I like the handheld so my audience can hear my helpers.

I found a place that makes the battery for it also and replaced the one it came with for a whopping $9. Battery last for several shows but I don't like to push it. It charges like a car battery. My mini disk plugs right into it also....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Portable wireless & rechargeable PA system (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL