The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Asher Twist vid to share... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mario_wong
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
43 Posts

Profile of mario_wong
Many ppl think I do it quick! I think it is difficult to cover the move when do it slow. What do you guys think?

http://www.ilvoeyou.net/friends/wan/4-8-05_Asher_Twist.wmv
Favorite Magicians:
Daryl
Larry Jennings
Allan Ackerman
Micheal Ammar
Bill Marlone
Lennart Green
Pekka
View Profile
Special user
Finland
560 Posts

Profile of Pekka
It was a bit too fast, not knowing the method I feel that the technique was excellent. But when you do change the whole packet face up at once, please, do enjoy the moment. And let us, spectators, enjoy it too. That provides a strong misdirection when the audience is still wondering the wonder, so let them do it.
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
I still think you do it too quick! Your not giving the spectator enough time to let the effect of each change sink in. You have the moves down man now just work on making it enjoyable to the spectators. Patter will make this better and also lengthen the routine. Im hoping you will get some other perspectives on this.
Twistingly yours,
Pauly Prestige
Astonishment as Therapy...?
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Slow it down a little and let the transformations register with ordinary lay people...but it still looked incredible and the swift performance to me seemed very magical! Good job Mario!
:bluebikes:
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
You should make a demo to teach your method...just as the godfather does to help people
We all know how to do the Asher twist.
Your handling looked very good.
vinny
the godfather of
magic
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
Excellent, just plain excellent! It is a hard routine to make flow and you do it a great justice. Cheers.
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Quote:
On 2005-08-12 03:54, vinsmagic wrote:
You should make a demo to teach your method.......just as the godfather does to help people
we all know how to do the Asher twist
your handling looked very good
vinny
the godfather of
magic

You can find the explanation on www.leeasher.com Smile

Exposing the technique of a marketed trick which is a part of the showcase of Lee Asher would not be too ethical, IMHO.

With all respect,
Samuel
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
georgef
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of georgef
I agree with the rest of them...
Technically, it was very well done, and I must compliment you there. But if you perform it that fast for a layman, they won't have time to fully grasp the first transformation before the next one happens. The spread move seemed a bit fast, but the amount of time that you allow to show the spread was definitely too short. Of course, you didn't have any patter in the audio track, so I'm sure that makes a difference. But well done...
Keep in mind that the Asher Twist is very angle-sensitive, and with the right angle, it looks like magic no matter how fast you do it.
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
Technically, very good. However, I would slow it down - a lot! Allow the audience to actually see the contrast between what came before and what came after. At one point - the third reversal - all I could see were reversed cards, I couldn't see the final face up ace. If you slow it down then the audience will appreciate the effect more and you'll get a much better response than I am sure you already are.

Peter
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
mario_wong
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong
43 Posts

Profile of mario_wong
I think it is quite difficult to hide to move when spreading the card slow!
Also, doing some secret moves slow really make me nevous.

When first saw Asher Twist it looks like real magic, I have no idea how it is possible.

After known the secret, I don't know why I always think that it is difficult to hide the fact that the turn-over card show at last every time.

I hope you guys understand me, my english is not good.-__-
Favorite Magicians:
Daryl
Larry Jennings
Allan Ackerman
Micheal Ammar
Bill Marlone
Lennart Green
love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
Mario, I know what you mean and your English is totally fine. The actual Twist part can be performed a bit faster than the spread in my opinion. After you have the card turned over then slow the remainder down. The display is very important as well when you have 2 cards in each hand. I really like performing the Asher Twist as well as the McClintock Twist (in a larger crowd setting) and have found that slowing down a bit helps to make it look more magical. I like your video and think you have AWESOME technique. I'd slow down after the twist is made. When you spread the cards slow that moment down and rub the cards together in each hand to milk the moment. Most laymen, for me, at this point (when you display 2 in each hand) think you are using more than 4 cards. I have found that if I slow this part down they have a change to better absorb what just happened, notice I still have 4 cards, and the eerieness (I'm not sure if that is a word) settles in. Then, "BAM" you repeat and milk the moment once again. This will also make the last (all at once) twist even more dramatic. My tempo is quick on the twist then I immediately put on the brakes during the display. Especially at the end when they all turn over I want them to see as much of the cards as possible and let that picture burn into their minds. I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

Take care,
L2L
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1553 Posts

Profile of Cain
Screw them. I say go faster.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
th_magic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of th_magic
That looked really cool

nice job I have no idea

Thomas

How did you do that?
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I think it looked great. Like the others said, you need to slow it down. The move even done slowly will be completley invisible when doing it correctly. don't rush into the phases, that is your biggest problem. Do the move, Show the cards and wait a bit, After the spread to show the card has turned over look at your audience, feel their amazement.
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
I thought your Asher Twist looked very, very good. What needs to be done quick is ok, but maybe the rest should be slowed down just a little to let it sink in. But overall it was just great. I say do it any way you want to keep the flow going. Thanks for sharing.

Rudy
monark
View Profile
Regular user
Southern IN
162 Posts

Profile of monark
I liked it alot. Very smooth. I can see the point about slowing down and letting the effect sink in, but on the other hand, when it is done fast, it seems more magical, like the packet barely gets a chance to close before the next ace is instantly face up. Ultimately, just do it how you feel it should be done.
Again, great job though Smile
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
I think you could probably do it better if you just paused after the spread.

Do the spread just as fast as you do, that's ok, but just take a short pause displaying the cards so that the effect can sink in...
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
magic_sailor
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of magic_sailor
A little fast but lovly. If it works for you don't change it.
~N~
MAGIC: for those who believe no excuse is necessary. for those who don't none will sufice.
graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Never liked the effect really - ive seen been done too many times badly - I have been converted!!!
yeah maybe just abit slower which in sure you would really do in a real situation. Hope your not just a bedroom magician!!
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
I felt that the speed was not the issue. The issue for me was the rhythm, it gave the impression of speed yet the individual moves did not seem to fit the tempo.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Asher Twist vid to share... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL