The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gregory Wilson "In Action" 3 DVD set vs. Aldo Columbini's 3 DVD set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Hi Guys:

I am currently choosing between buying Gregory Wilson "In Action" 3 DVD set and Aldo Columbini's 3 DVD set.

I am into close up effects and would prefer a set which does not require difficult sleight of hand. Which set would you recommend and why?

Thanks
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
In terms of levels of technical difficulty, the Greg Wilson set is definately harder overall. Aldo Columbini uses a lot of other non-sleight means and gimmicks to achieve most of his effects (as shown on his DVD set). That doesn't mean to say Aldo doesn't use sleights, but he is less reliant on them than Greg Wilson. As for variety of effects, both sets offer variety and are appealing to sudiences. however, the effects on the Greg Wilson set seem more suited to street or walkaround magicrather than a more formal close-up or cabaret situation.
zhuanan
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of zhuanan
Hi Magicbern:

Thanks. So does that mean that "Aldo Columbini's 3 DVD set" is more suitable for formal close up and Cabarent situation instead of street or walkaround magic?

Thanks
cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
I do not have either set however the August 2005 issue of Magic magazine has reviews of both sets.
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
Actually both sets contain effects that are suitable for both formal closeup and walkaround situations. however, the Aldo Columbini set would have less suited for walkaround when compared to greg Wilson's set. however, with some thoughtful planning and blocking, you could adopt some of Aldo's effects to strolling situations.
flimnar
View Profile
Special user
Salt Lake
577 Posts

Profile of flimnar
There is a lot to recommend both. I love Gregory Wilson's stuff, and the "In Action" DVD's are no exception. They pull together material from previous DVD's, as well as introducing new material. I really like the impromptu nature of Wilson's work, although it often requires a lot of work to make some of these effects look as effortless as he does (oh no, practice!). That said, Colombini's DVD's are my next purchase. I've heard nothing but terrific things about them.

Flimnar
"This one goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel
snowboard
View Profile
New user
China Shenzhen
86 Posts

Profile of snowboard
I just watched Aldo's lecture.This is his frist lecture in the Mainland China,Guangzhou.And it's my frist experience to attemding a live lecture. The lecture is very good.Most of his tricks are easy to do and giving a big effect. Some of the gimmick thing are easy to made. So I recommend Aldo's stuff in his DVD.I will buy them in future.

ps. lecture is held rarely in China. So I am so deligh with aldo's lecture.
I honestly hope more and more professional magician would come to China to giving lecture.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gregory Wilson "In Action" 3 DVD set vs. Aldo Columbini's 3 DVD set (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL