The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dry hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Amazing Rallo
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Amazing Rallo
Do you guys know if any of the so called palm grip solutions work?

My hands are so dry that I can't do card manipulations, billiard ballselmsley,count, buckel count, ect.
I have tried various hand lotions,and nothing works.
I was wondering if the stuff the magic dealers sell actually work.
Does anyone have any experience with this?
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Sortkwik. Works beautifully. Or you could try other fingertip moisteners.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The stuff on the market does work, or for hand cream I use Neutrogena, it is not greasy. Some like corn huskers but I find it to thick.

You can make it yourself from products from the drug store. But why?
rumdrum
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
19 Posts

Profile of rumdrum
Amazing Rallo,
Norm Nielsen used to make a product, I think it was called "manipulators hand lotion". I don't think he makes it anymore, but I could be wrong. But it is amzing stuff if you can get hold of some. It is more a liquid than a lotion. It is not greasy at all, nor is it sticky. And you could palm an elephant after using a few drops.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Vagisil works very well. For obvious reasons I got my wife to pick it up for me.
joshlondon
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of joshlondon
Doug,

Just out of pure curiosity, at what point did you think, "Hey Vagisil?" That is so fuuny! It's like the first person who thought, "I am going to eat the next thing that falls out of that chicken, and call it an egg."
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
241 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
Working Hands Creme works great. You can get it at Walgreens, or they can order it if it is not in stock. It is only about $8 per jar.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
I've got some of Tannens manipulators lotions from a long time ago. Combination of rosewater and glycerin, I believe. I think the best thing that manipulation lotion offers is your hands are in the same state regarding the humidity, your hydration level, etc. So if you are going to work on some manipulations you should probably use some manip. lotions first. You would probably be in trouble if you only used it the day of your show when your nervous, hands are sweaty or dry. Consistency would be the key here.
Midnight333
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Midnight333
If you want them to be dry and slightly tacky, then antiperspirant works well. It also keeps your hands from sweating, I mean that's what it does. Try it.
Fort worth Magic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Fort worth Magic
CHAMBERLAIN GOLDEN TOUCH LOTION. Try your local drugstore for it, I carry it in a little spray bottle ( is more of a liquid than lotion). A couple of sprays and you can palm anything, and it is not greasy.
Fort worth Magic
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of Fort worth Magic
Here is a link to buy Chaimberlins on line
http://www.vitaherbexpress.com/en/chamberlain.htm
Here is what thier add says:
Chamberlain’s Golden Touch Dry Skin Lotion is a rich formula that softens, smooths and moisturizes deep down dry skin with its combination of glycerin and sorbitol in a penetrating cologne base that quickly disappears. Used for over 100 years to help heal rough, red and chapped hands, knees and elbows, often after ordinary lotions have failed. Economical and all purpose. An ideal after bath and body lotion plus a superb dry skin make-up base. A few drops check dry scalp, conditions your skin after shaving, and moisturizes dry, faded suntans.

Did you know that Chamberlain’s Golden Touch Dry Skin Lotion, because of it’s fast absorption which leaves the skin completely dry to the touch is used by magicians in North America because it will not impede their dexterity.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Hey Josh:

I discovered it's properties quite by accident (don't ask!). The fun part was standing at the register in WalMart when my wife put two bottles of this stuff on the counter. I just stood there with a small grin on my face looking like I was getting ready for a big weekend!
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I use Lubriderm with good success. It's not greasy.
Also cornhuskers lotion is very good.
In a pinch....use spit.
Daniel Faith
The Cardfather
View Profile
Veteran user
Long Beach, CA
347 Posts

Profile of The Cardfather
Just came across a golf product called "Grrrip." It goes on wet but dries instantly to a fine powder. Must be a rossin of some kind like pitchers use.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I will be writing an article soon on this site, but I have been using something for a while that has helped me alot. Parafin Wax. Get your hands warm, either by soaking them in warm water and drying, or holding them under a hair dryer. Either way, get them warm and then take a .5x1x1 inch cube of the wax and massage it over your hands. It is a little rough at first, but after doing this for 3-4 days in a row, it goes on great. It gives them a good friction to your hand, yet it remains very soft and NOT AT ALL STICKY. Nor does it smell or is it oily. When I am sitting around and I need to fiddle with something, I usually have a small piece of wax in my hands to "rub them down."

Derek Merdinyan
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Lou Lancaster turned me on to Ball Grip. You get it at your local bowling alley. You can palm a bowling ball, with a very small amount. You must experiment with it, especially if you are using silks.

Cordially, Howard
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
If you have problems palming hank balls, dye tubes or palmo ball, paint flesh tone latex on to the gimmick and it will not go anywhere. You can palm any gimmick with a minimum of effort. It works great and peels right off.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I like Corn Huskers Lotion - gives a "tire tread" grip. Gold Bond (unscented) Lotion is good for moisturizing.
briancherbo
View Profile
New user
The Second Deal
40 Posts

Profile of briancherbo
Rollo, there is a long thread somewhere on the forum about "Edge Card Creme" which Michael Skinner used constantly. (He always kept a small jar strapped to his ankle!)
This stuff is made by the company that makes Sort-Qwik, but it's formulated specifically for magicians. I know of a number of magicians that swear by it, I have seen many performaers just slather their hands with the stuff before going on stage, and have only herd great things about it. The link to the discussion elsewhere on the forum is here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

The link to the manufacturer is http://www.ourproductstore.com, while the review is at http://www.legerdomain.com . (I just pasted these from the above discussion)

Thinking this is in a way a "band-Aid," I also use other lotions more for "healing" the problem. For MY hands, the BEST products I have found (after trying amany) are the "Bert's Bees" line of almond hand restorer, which is a thick formula in a jar, and Lubriderm lotion which is less expensive (Walgreens) My mother was a make-up consultant and said the thicker moisterizers are what they use in Europe and are better. If you REALLY want to get serious, put some of this on and wear the plastic "gloves" (they sell for this at most drug stores) at night!

Hope this helps - I think you will be very happy with the Edge-Creme.

Best,
Brian
kcedelcycib
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of kcedelcycib
I wish someone would market some sorta "lotion sampler" kit for magicians where you get lil single use packets of all the different lotions out there. It can get pretty expensive trying all those products till you find one you're happy with.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dry hands (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL