The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need help, please? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
I never paid much attention in Health Class and Biology class in school way back in my day.....

So when I see something that says "with the first phalanx of the index finger", I am lost. What is a phalanx, is it the top of a nuckle, the bend (underneath) of a knuckle, or what is it?
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
The index finger is the one next to your thumb, and the top phalanx is like the top section of your finger, like the little bit at the top that can bend over, with your finger print on it. The first phalanx I would assume, is the part just above your palm up to your middle knuckle.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
The first phalanx of your index finger is the tip of your first finger.Fingers are Phalangies, the sections on each finger is a phalanx.
sayer
View Profile
New user
Czech Republic
64 Posts

Profile of sayer
WOW many medical students here :o))
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Books written in that time period used that kind of language all the time. It was fairly common English. Youngsters like me had to wade through it all the time in order to learn those precious secrets of magic.

It explains why the newer "breed" is more into video and DVD. It also says something about the current state of affairs in our educational system, but that is a topic best left off a magic message board.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
Quote:
On 2005-08-25 00:08, Frank Tougas wrote:
Books written in that time period used that kind of language all the time. It was fairly common English. Youngsters like me had to wade through it all the time in order to learn those precious secrets of magic.

It explains why the newer "breed" is more into video and DVD. It also says something about the current state of affairs in our educational system, but that is a topic best left off a magic message board.

Frank Tougas

I disagree. I don't think that the fact that the word "phalanx" has fallen out of common usage is a commentary on the state of affairs in our educational system. There are many arguments to be made that education in this country is not the same as it once was (and many arguments that it is, in many respects, better than it once was.) But "phalanx" is just a word that isn't used very much anymore.

There will always be folks who are more literate than others, regardless of the state of the educational system.
coleman
View Profile
New user
lahn-dahn, yoo-kay
34 Posts

Profile of coleman
I find wikipedia handy (npi) for this kind of information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx

which leads to here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phalanx_bones

:)

cole. x
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Giobbi's Card College series of books have illustations with the correct nomenclature of the anatomy of the hand, inside the book covers. A very nice addition to an already remarkable set of books.
<<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Schismatized
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Schismatized
I have had the same problem. I have my biology teacher on speed dial!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need help, please? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL