The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » If someone's cell phone rings during a show??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

felix501
View Profile
Regular user
Lewes, England
134 Posts

Profile of felix501
I am thinking of doing a cell phone smash. I thought it would be fun to set it up with someone's phone going off during a set.

What comedic ideas do people have for this situation? One idea that occurred to me was insisting on answering it and then pretending that I had stolen it, 'yeah I stole his wallet too...it was your mother' etc...

Felix

(P.S. I don't think previous threads have precisely dealt with this)
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Depending on the venue, I have a couple lines for when this happens...

"If that's my agent, tell him I'm busy!"

"I told my girlfriend to never call me at work!"

"Well, we know where the drug dealer is sitting now..."

"OOOOO, look at me, look at me! I have a cell phone!"

"Hey could you put that back in your pants on vibrate and call yourself?!"

Lyndel
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I added my favorite cell phone comedy routine under Secret Sessions:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......37&9

This addresses cell phones at the beginning of your show in a comedic way, provides a great magic routine AND has the advantage of making people turn the cell phones off so that THEY aren't targeted next.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
That cell phone bit is great... awesome job.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
broothal
View Profile
Elite user
Europe
448 Posts

Profile of broothal
Ask them to answer the phone and get the person in the other end to name any card. You'd be surprised how much comedy you can get into the byplay as the person in the other end realised he/she is "on stage".

Of course, at the end you produce the card from your pocket or use a brainwave deck or whatever.
dragonchaos91
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of dragonchaos91
Quote:
On 2005-08-15 09:19, broothal wrote:
Ask them to answer the phone and get the person in the other end to name any card. You'd be surprised how much comedy you can get into the byplay as the person in the other end realised he/she is "on stage".

Of course, at the end you produce the card from your pocket or use a brainwave deck or whatever.

that's an ingenious idea. I never thought about that, having someones phone going off and asking them to name a card, or having someone call someone else. Then using an indinvisible deck to reveal the selection. I love it.
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Robert Baxt has a cell phone routine he sells on his web site.
It has an RF trigger which causing a box attached under someones chair to ring.
He walks over and asks them for their cell phone and smashes it to pieces and of course restores it.
I seen him perform it at Houdini Days 2004. Great routine.
Daniel Faith
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
-"Yes...he CAN hear you now!!"

-When you hear the phone ring, reach into your briefcase and pull out your 10 year old brick phone and say "hello...hello??".

A good one-liner for BEFORE the show is...

-"Now, before I begin, if I could ask everyone to please turn off their cell phones. If you are caught, your phone will be on Ebay by 5pm tomorrow evening."

The audience director at GMA Studios used to use the line before the show.
~Jonton
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
jonthewierdo
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of jonthewierdo
Can you turn your phone off please mate its for Security reasons.....

SOCIAL SECURITY REASONS
Copperfieldian
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Copperfieldian
"If it's the invisible man, tell him I can't see him"
Elliott Hodges
View Profile
Veteran user
England
324 Posts

Profile of Elliott Hodges
I have never had this happen to me.

How about saying "that's a rubbish ringtone get a better one."

Or for fans of dom jolley why not make a joke along with his giant phone.
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
I thought of using the gag where you have your own cell phone go off..... carry on a brief goofy conversation...... and then use this to show how you and others would feel when one of there's goes off..... or you could go into the crowd and shave using an electric shaver.
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1970 Posts

Profile of The Mac
I don't know if this would be funny..

but if the guys phone goes off.. you shout out.. "HIT THE MUSIC!" Your DJ hits some very loud jungle music..you go into the crowd and start a Conga line around the guy!

or ( this idea is inspired by the guy from "trigger happy t.v" )

you pull out a HUGE cell phone..I mean one that's 3 feet tall ( you can make it out of card board ) and attempt to talk to back to him
Carl Skenes
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Carl Skenes
I go into the audience and borrow the offending cell phone from its owner and have a chat with the caller. My conversation, which goes out over my wireless and is not vulgar, is always humorous to the audience. This usually lasts no more than one minute. I then tell the caller when my show will be over and tell them to call back then. Then I clearly turn the phone off, give it back to its owner and proceed with my show.

Carl
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Best "turn off your phone gag" I ever say belonged to Tim Ellis and Sue Ann Webster. Very funny stuff!
sunnydolan
View Profile
Veteran user
Opelika, Alabama
342 Posts

Profile of sunnydolan
Quote:
On 2006-05-08 08:03, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
Best "turn off your phone gag" I ever say belonged to Tim Ellis and Sue Ann Webster. Very funny stuff!

Well, what was it??
An amatuer practices untill he gets it right, a professinal practices untill he can't get it wrong.

Don't wait for oppurtunity to knock, throw open the door, grab it by the throat and drag it inside kicking and screaming.

Magically yours
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
I saw one standup comic walk into the audience, grab the woman's cell phone as she took it out to MAKE a call and, as she said "Hello," he grabbed it and put one of those compressed gas air horns to it and blasted away!

I found out later that the girl was his wife and that it was a set up, but you should have SEEN the REST of the audience scrambling to turn THEIR phones off!

It was hysterical!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2750 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I was thinking of a set-up where I'd do Shang-hi Shackle and right at the key moment, my cell phone goes off. Ask one of the people holding the ropes to get it for you and hold it to your ear.

"Yes? Dear I told you never to call me at work! Yes, I'm sure it's important but... oh all right, wait a minute!"

Escape from the ropes, pull a pad out of your pocket and start taking down a grocery list.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Moyle with Parkinsons
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
281 Posts

Profile of Moyle with Parkinsons
I have seen at a show the performer grab the phone and have a rather lengthy conversation about how the spectator is at a show right now and can't talk and then giving the message to the spectator, it was hilarious a definate go-er.

Also a one liner that I have heard and I like to use here and there is at the start of the show "Could you all please turn off your mobile phones, you may have noticed as you walked in that we have a jammer on the door to take care of any mobiles that may get a call... His name is Bubba and if he hears your phone ring he will be quiet happy to find a place to jam your mobile"

Moyle
"Signatures cause far too much trouble!" an original quote by Moyle With Parkinsons.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » If someone's cell phone rings during a show??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL