The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Resataurant magicians outfits? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
I just want to ask if what do table magicians or table hoppers wear if they go to the restaurant that they are performing? is it ok to wear a semi formal attire?

thank you!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
While you do NOT want to look like a one-man three-ring circus, you will want to wear something that sets you apart from the wait staff. For God's sake, don't wear a Tux. Doug Henning got us out of them; we should stay out of them. Follow this link: http://www.shopformagic.com/products/vest/index.htm The pictures are of my friend, Tom McCarthy, a successful restaurant and bar magician, and myself during my restaurant and bar magic days. Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Did I see you SMILE in one of those pics, dpe????? Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Tom MADE me pose for those pictures. He promised that it would help my career. Smile
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Ei I have seen the link. nice smile there dpe. what kind of fabric are you wearing in that picture?
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I don't think they'll hurt your career. They show you've got range, 666 Smile Not just one note. A little contradiction in character is always good. Adds layers. And interest for the audience.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-08-15 07:59, cardcaptor wrote:
What kind of fabric are you wearing in that picture?

Sparkel kind. Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dpe666
Really nice stuff.
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Tuxes are appropriate for certain venues, most restaurants wouldn't be one of them. New Years Eve in upscale ones it may be most appropriate.

I use a white labcoat with bright suspenders and tie and red bowler sometimes, sportcoat most often, and a vest sometimes. It depends on the venue and style of the restaurant. All have sufficient pockets for restaurant work.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Those vests looked awfull. I would not be caught dead with one of those. It looked like a witch thru up on them.
If you don't want to wear a tux, you can combine diffrent types of clothing - Also knows as layering.
Start with the thinest clothing and work your way out. Remeber to match colors, you do not want to look like a clown.
Grey - pink, green, white.
Black - white, red, purpule.

Here's a suggestion for a nice outfit.
The socks must be black, not white.
Allen-Edmonds Broadstreet wingtips look sophisticated with a slick black suit, or even a pair of flat-front black chinos or dress pants and a classic collared shirt.
Wear some flat-black dress pants.
The wardolf belt from Kenneth Cole would go great with the pants. It's sleek, has a brushed stainless steel buckle that gives it a powerful modern touch. don't get one with a small buckle.
Since it's fall, I would urge you to stay away from bright colors. The right colors to wear are, white, brown, dark red, dark purple etc.
Get a long sleeve button down shirt. Get one that has stripes of colors - Like brown, purple, black. Or you could get a white shirt with black pin stripes.
One more thing. When wearing fancy pants, always tuck in.
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1040 Posts

Profile of bsears
I'll agree with Tor, those vests are not a good chioce, in my opinion. If you want people to respect magic and you as a performer, then a vest with a rabbit pattern and sequins all over it is not the way to go.

My vests came from a Men's suit shop and were fitted with additional pockets by a tailor. I also have tux vets on hand for more formal gigs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Resataurant magicians outfits? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL