The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How Hard are Linking Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 12:11, Sleightly Small wrote:
I might have missed this looking through, but whats the L&L dvd? Is the Ninja Ring routine worth the price for the dvd, and does it work with other 5" sets of rings, £50 pounds for rings and routine seems very expensive. Is there a good book I'd be able to find easily, a sort of RRTCM for rings, or is al the material on dvd?

$50 or 50 pounds is not expensive at all to spend for both rings and dvd and yes the Ninja Rings set is very good. Yes, it will work with other rings but the Ninja Rings are more substantial than many. Price must always be measured against the durability and the longevity as a classic an attempt is likely to have.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 12:11, Sleightly Small wrote:
I might have missed this looking through, but whats the L&L dvd?

Ummm, we missed answering this. It's the first edition of the Greater Magic Library DVD series by L&L Publishing. There are four different routines performed and explained. You get Richard Ross's slow and graceful routine. You get the ever elegant Max Hapner with his silky voice, tuxedo, and oh so classical rendition, Jay Marshall with his comedy rings, Samuel Patrick Smith who does a routine with children helping him.

By no means is this a complete tretise on the rings, but it certainly does show that the linking rings are flexible and can be handled very differently by different masters. I used it to finally decide on my general style. It turned out to be the Ross style. Then Frank Starsini suggested the Cellini "Lord and and Master of the Rings" based on my preference for Ross. Cellini does another slow and graceful routine and it is impressive even if only a 2 ring routine.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Rik... it was Stevens not L&L
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
The ninja rings are much easier to use and the links look more impressive than other small rings because of the beveled (rounded) key. It makes the moves much easier to use. As far as stage rings I am using 10 inch steel rings that ring like a bell and am using Whit's Comedy 4 Ring routine which I think is one of the best routines constructed. I'm using my own moves in it but his concept, which is very very funny and entertaining so a big thank you to Whit.
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Stevens Greater Magic video series on the linking rings is great. Several artists including Richard Ross show you their technique. It is invaluable.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2005-08-15 09:51, Rik Chew wrote:
What I mean by this is; Would I be able to get a set of rings and come up with my own routine, or would I need to get a book with various routines or the equivilantof sleights, or is there just one way of linking, unlinking rings?

Great question & also great answers in this post

Having performed the rings over 20 yrs now-i have used Vernons version, Richard Ross moves & Mc Bride Moves, Whit Haydn etc etc-I use 8 inch rings for years then when the more stage & club shows got regular bookings I bought 12 inch 4 ring set & have now a developed routine to music that covers a piece of each routine & many moves from my own experimentation & watching audience reactions over the years so in answer to your question- Learn the basics as Pete mentioned earlier then get a decent size set 10 or 12 inch & create away!!!

Go for it!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » How Hard are Linking Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL