We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Pyro Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Hi all!
I know I'm posting a question before I have even introduced myself, and that might seem a little rude, but it was the question that led me to find the group, so here it goes.
I am a fire performer/macabre magician. I have a HUGE show at an outdoor music festival in South Carolina in two weeks. I have a pyro effect that I want to work out but can't seem to figure out the specifics.
I have three "pictures" (Light weight paper on 2'x4' frames)that I want to chemically treat so that when they are touched with flame, they just poof in flames. (Basically, giant flash paper) What I need is something to spray them with to give them this treatment. (I am not a chemist, I don't want to mix chemicals and hope I get the mix right) Does anyone know of where I could get such a spray?
(And before anyone starts worrying about me being a moron and lighting myself on fire, I point to the description of what I am- a FIRE PERFORMER! Almost everything I do involves fire. Turst me, I have plenty of percautions in place)
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Gwyd.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Gwyd,
Please don't think I'm speaking down to you, because that's certainly not my intention, but I am mentioning a concern. I emplore everyone not to discuss the specific "how's" of pyro here, because I think that info should only be discussed between trained technicians.

If you're already meeting your host area's requirements, then what follows will be of no surprise to you. If you're not "legally" trained, then please read on.

Anywhere in America & Canada (and many other places), use of pyro/fire requires specific operator certification, and the required training is pretty substantial and highly-regulated. You need to get proper training, and follow the laws & guidelines meticulously.

For almost any performance involving fire or pyro, you also need to register with (and receive approval from) the local fire department. You need to do this for every event. Different jurisdictions may have more/less specific requirements, but you may expect to be asked to provide;
• Your Pyrothechnics Special Effects certificate
• A sketch of the facility, including exits and outside access
• A list of all pyrotechnics to be employed, with their placement
• Approval to disconnect any smoke and heat sensor
• Safety measures to be taken
• Ventilation verification
They may then specify other precautions. They may also ask for proof of a substantial amount of explosives liability insurance.

For even more on the legal requirments, check my web site.
Without meeting your host jurisdiction's requirements, you're breaking the law, and placing people's lives at risk.

Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
In response to Magic Roadie!
Thanks, I do have all of that covered, and if you go to another posting topic on where can you still do fire, you'll find a link that I posted to bearclawmfg.com which has some of the best fire safety programs for entertainers I have come accross.
I apologise if it seemed that I was discussing exact methods. I thought of it more as a "Who sells good flash cotton" or "Where can I get dragons breath" kind of question.
I'll be more succinct in my posting.
Thanks much!
G.
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Gsidhe-- I don't think you're going to find a way to make the large sheets into nitrocellulose yourself without exorbitant effort-- you can probably find large sheets of flash paper, I suggest you just use those.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
Load flash paper into a standard pc printer, I have a front loading one that works fine with flash paper.

Print yourself the pictures on the full page (8-1/2 by 11)
Trim the excess, let the ink dry. This worked for me for a simular effect.

Steven
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
That's a great suggestion Steven, but I think you missed the part about 2 X 4 foot frames. He will need an oversized printer such as the kind used for posters or making vinyl signs and access to sheets that are of sufficient size to accomplish his task.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
Is it really possible to print on the tissue grade flash paper using a normal printer?
I thought one needs to acquire thick grade flash paper to be able to print on it!
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

I wonder if it would hurt the flash if you adhered two sheets togehter with glue stick....
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
MopKrayz
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of MopKrayz
There is special flash paper glue! never used it myself.
also flash paper suppliers like theatrefx supply flash paper in rolls so you can cut big sheets too.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2005-08-17 13:44, MopKrayz wrote:
There is special flash paper glue! never used it myself.
also flash paper suppliers like theatrefx supply flash paper in rolls so you can cut big sheets too.

that's the info I was looking for! Thank you so much!!!
Gwyd.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
... and that was the last anyone ever heard from Gwyd .. Smile

j/k

By the way, I just discovered that theatrefx.com is having a 15% off sale all week this week.
Hmmm...... I was thinking of printing flashpaper "clothing" for this costume event, and then I could magically transform into Lady Godiva ...um.. except that I'm a guy.. nevermind.. Smile
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
There is a book that has been in circulation for years on how to make flash paper. Someone here probably knows where to get it.

It may be the book on the following webpage BUT there is the Flash Paper Glue listed down about halfway on the webpage.

http://www.starmgc.com/pyro.html

8X10 sheets glued into a mosaic sounds like an answer. There are many graphic programs that allow you to print an image on several 8X10 sheets to assemble into a large poster size picture. I am not sure if ink will retard the flash process (which could create a hotter situation -slow burn) or if it would be more flammable.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

------

Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
Your best bet is to contact Theatre Effects. They have a trained staff that can help you create a safe way of doing you effect. I would visit thier site http://www.theatrefx.com or even give them a call.

Good Luck and be Safe!!!
Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
You can get some flash paper glue at daytonamagic.com

I didn't miss the size, just figured 8-1/2 by 11 should be large enough, still you could print the pics in 4 parts and glue together...

Steven
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Pyro Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL