The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Balls vs. Sponge Rabbits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
I've seen lots of mixed ideas on Sponge Balls and Rabbits. So when I trusted a friend to examine one Sponge Ball and he lost it, I've been wondering what to get. I've been thinking about getting both. Consider these points reply on any you think is best:

Price (not a biggy)
Quality of Manufacturer (sp)
Audience reaction
Audience Participation
Tarbell!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Technical aspects aside -- and a lot of people on the forum will disagree with this -- the sponge bunnies are cuter.

So maybe you don't want to do cute magic. Audiences scream when you do the sponge bunnies. And the bunnies don't roll when they hit the floor.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
Thanks Bill Smile I'll be seeing Larry Kahlow soon, hopefully he will have some, if not I'll figure out an online shop :S
Tarbell!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Back in the days of the New York Lounge in Chicago many of the bar magicians agreed including Heba Haba Al. That the sponge rabbits may be the most popular close up sponge trick in magic.

Depending on patter it can be done for adult audiences such as in a bar for bar magicians. Or done with light family style patter for kid and family shows.

Audiences love the rabbits and using a rabbit will fit a magician.

One little point some rabbit sets like the old yellow ss Adams sets can be used in sort of a matrix sponge and card routine. I have also used them at odd times in the shell game - just for fun. The point is that there can be more to the sponge rabbits than just doing a sponge ball routine.

I hope this helps.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There used to be a group of magicians who called themselves "The Sponge Bunny Club." Among the members were Jay Marshall, Bev Bergeron and Karrell Fox.

The question is "What was the requirement to become a member of 'The Sponge Bunny Club?' " Hint: It was not that they all performed the sponge rabbits.
Posted: Aug 17, 2005 12:49pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The answer is that each of these magicians had been through the same experience -- they had been sitting in a diner, coffee shop or restaurant. When the waitress found out they were magicians, she would say "I know a trick." and she would do the sponge bunnies for him.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Bev Bergeron would pick the bunnies hands down over sponge balls. The real answer is to buy both as different routines can be done with both and you never know what situation you may be in when wanting to perform.

Sponge balls are a great effect and get super reactions from your audience, the bunnies are cute and the end can produce screams from the spectators. It is a draw for me so I have both.

P.S. Just bvought a set of 3D's from Eagle, say hi for me.

FRank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
How much are the ones at eagle? did you get the last box? (knowing ((FORGOT HIS FIRST NAME!!!! lets call be Kahlow!)) Kahlow that would be rare)
Tarbell!
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Quote:
On 2005-08-16 17:19, Mad Duck wrote:
I've seen lots of mixed ideas on Sponge Balls and Rabbits. So when I trusted a friend to examine one Sponge Ball and he lost it, I've been wondering what to get. I've been thinking about getting both. Consider these points reply on any you think is best:

Price (not a biggy)
Quality of Manufacturer (sp)
Audience reaction
Audience Participation

For all the points you mentioned, the rabbits are a MUST! Especially for reputation, and audience participation/reaction. If you want to get good sponge rabbits, get the 3D ones by Goshman products, best sponge products available from them.
All the best,

Michael
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5714 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I perform both. I prefer sponge bunnies for close-up and only perform sponge balls for stand-up work. I love the 3-D rabbits! There are so many gags you can do with them.
love2laugh
View Profile
Veteran user
374 Posts

Profile of love2laugh
For me, the vanishes and other slights seem easier with the sponge balls vs. the 3D rabbits. Yes, the rabbits are much cuter than the balls yet overall the magic with both types of sponge are very strong.

I like using both and find the balls tend to compress better than the rabbits for mutiplying type effects.

Take care,
L2L
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
I also use both. For quite some time, spongeballs have been a staple of our routines here at Open Heart Magic (NFP group I work with). I wasn't exactly sold on the idea at first, but soon saw the power of the spongeball! These little squishy objects really do transcend any barriers of age, sex, race, etc. Everyone seems to love them.

We are now toying more with the bunnies. We got several sets of the 3D bunnies and I have to admit that their cuteness is undeniable! Also, especially with kids, people love the personification of inanimate objects. I feel that you can dig into a deeper story with the bunnies as opposed to just the balls. You can give them more personality.

Yesterday, I got a set of sponge bananas at Magic Inc. here in Chicago. Why? Because everyone knows, in the depths of their hearts, that bananas are funny. I have no idea what I'll do with them. Perhaps I'll feed them to small bunnies to make larger bunnies. Whatever I do, it will hopefully be funny, and definately be cute!

-Reis
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
I collect sponge ball tricks because with a minimum of reworking they add variation to one's rep.

I have:

Sponge Balls (several varieties)
Rabbits (Ammar style)
Earplugs (Sankey)
Lady Bugs (?)
Blue Jay Eggs (?)
Teeth (Dan Garrett)
Cocktail Franks (?)

They are all fun.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Euangelion, you need to add Patrick Martin's Clones sponge ball effect to your collection.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It's fun to start with sponge bunnies and then introduce a large sponge ball as the "pill" to stop all the bunnies!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
You could use both.. imagine them squeezing a sponge baLL AND WHEN THEY OPEN THEIR HAND ITS A RABBIT!
or viser versa you could make the rabbit turn into two or 3 little sponge balls saying their eggs ( I know they don't lay egss but this is magic! ) anf then they hatch into three bunnies all in their hand.
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
I use Carl Andrews' spongeballs rountine, but have never seen a sponge rabbits rountine. Sorry if my question sounds stupid:

Is the handling any different (fake take and loading)? Do I have to learn some other sleight for performing sponge rabbits? (I use the first vanishing sleight taught in Patrick Page's video) Just curious, why so many of you said sponge rabbits are better?

Any resources on it? Thanks.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5714 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Here are some sources for sponge bunny routines:

Routined Manipulation Finale

Karl Norman, Forty Years At The Forks (This is among the best sponge bunny routines you'll ever see. It's not on his DVD, though.)
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13366 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2005-08-27 12:29, mouliu wrote:
I use Carl Andrews' spongeballs rountine, but have never seen a sponge rabbits rountine. Sorry if my question sounds stupid:

Is the handling any different (fake take and loading)? Do I have to learn some other sleight for performing sponge rabbits? (I use the first vanishing sleight taught in Patrick Page's video) Just curious, why so many of you said sponge rabbits are better?

Any resources on it? Thanks.

Daryl has a good routine on his fooler doolers' video.
rich marotta has a funny ending for his when someone says "do that trick for my friend where all the baby bunnies appear at the end"
I bought some very expensive sponge rabbits that I've never used. they also came with a good routine included that also uses the line "ain't no mo".

I might start using them just to see if I like the reaction.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
Thanks Alan and Frank for the info. I'm very excited to see audience's reaction on sponge rabbits.

As I asked in my previous post, "do I need to learn any new sleight for performing sponge rabbits (which is/are different from spongeballs) ?"
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
NO new sleights.
Daniel Faith
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Sponge Balls vs. Sponge Rabbits (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL