The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Natural Ability? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheRock
View Profile
New user
Anderson, Indiana
95 Posts

Profile of TheRock
When you were first starting out in magic (a novice, a beginner), professional and amature magicians alike would tell you that there are certain sleights, steals, concealments, and/or etc, etc (I am not naming any specific ones), and it would take years or months of continuos practise to master them and make then look real and natural and smooth and fluent.

How many of you found that just after a VERY few short hours of practise, that you had mastered these certain sleights, steals, concealments, and/or etc, etc, that these professional/amature magicians told you would take years or months of continuos practise to master, and that you could do them better or as good as the professional/amature magicians, and you could do them on a consistent basis, making them look real and natural and smooth and fluent?

How many of you have found out that you just had a natural ability to be able to do that in a short span of a few hours.

What were they? How short of time?
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
I didn't. I practiced over a year or so before I showed anybody anything. My very early sleights were DL, buckle, shifts, side steals, shuffle work. I did not feel smooth enough to show anyone sooner. Not even family. But, that was me.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I wasn't thinking of myself reading your post but have been quoted in the past regarding natural ability. Some seem to have that extra something that viewing them for the first time you have no doubt they are destined for greatness in their field.

There's a 12 year old musician in my area that has been on numerous tv shows and featured in the news. From the moment he picked up a quitar at age 10 he played well beyond his years. He plays like Clapton, Hendrix and others..really amazing to watch him.

I've often thought that natural ability is often overlooked. Those who have been in magic for a long time may not pay attention to a very young newcomer. They may overlook them or not pay attention to them because their age or expertise.

Anyhow, I kinda went off topic (oops!) but you made an excellent point..there exist a few people who just have natuaral ability and will surpass even their mentors in a short time.

Chrystal
onezero1
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of onezero1
Also because our methods are so diverse we may have a natural aptitude for certain things but maybe not others(?)
example: it took me all of 5 minutes to nail Marlo's breakless curry turnover
with no previous knowledge of the original technique
but it took me about 3 years to get a convincing french drop.
I seem to be able to master color changes and card switches in no time but when it comes to false takes and placements my IQ and motor skills seem to become akin to those of a goldfish.
'though it stands to reason that a samurai should be mindful of the Way...it would seem that we are all negligent.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I think what's being called a "natural ability" with sleights is dependent on the structure and flexibility of ones hands and understanding how the sleight is done.

For me coins and other smaller props were easier that poker size cards.
Alex_Jackson
View Profile
New user
England
68 Posts

Profile of Alex_Jackson
For me the one handed top palm came very quickly. The first few tries I had at it I managed to get the card into plam without it swinging off to the side. I'm certainly not a master at it but considering that the majority of people have trouble even getting the card to move I didn't do too badly.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
477 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
I'm a lot like Jazz.

Several of the coin sleights I learned from Bobo came quite naturally to me. But cards are a different story. I picked up a great "Card through the Window" routine about 1 year ago and I have yet to perform it. I want to do a back palm of the card and I just can't seem to get it down good enough and consistant enough. On this move I have no natural ability.
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
I think everyone have their good sleights and bad sleights..those that comes easy and those that comes with hard work and I even have those which never come at all..i just move on to the neext sleight when I am in that situation ..
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
I think the thing about magic is there are so many kinds sleights and some are easier than other . I think it also depend on how long you been doing sleights.
I think your hands get more use to doing sleights and it seem come easier as time go along . Natual ability to do sleights , is some what questionable .Look at a some of the very common coins sleights ,most tell you up front that this is not a natual way to hold your hand, so you train your hand to look natural while doing the sleight . The coins sleights were much harder
than the cards sleights for me .
Alson
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
When I first got into magic, a magician would sell me tricks behind a counter, and demenstrate cool things. He was incredible! Then I learned he had only been in magic for a year, and no joke, could do stuff smoother, than many of the top professionals can do after a lifetime of practice.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I think natural ability has more to do with intense interest than anything. As far as magicians telling you some sleights take years to master, realize some of that may just be P.T. Barnum hooey. After all we always want spectators to think we have worked years on something.

Sometimes it is a realzation by the sleight-of-hand artist that through the years the technique has just gotten better and better, more natural and more logical in execution - so in a sense it has taken years to perfect.

Some magicians enjoy doing mind bending finger flinging and work steadily year after year looking for perfection of execution while others simple replace it with more direct and simpler methods.

We tend to do more of what pleases us and less of what does not. One persons displeasure is another persons natural ability.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I would have to say so much is natural ability. I have seen some performers be in the biz forever and arn't too slick. While I have also seen some be in it for barly a year and be incredible. I feel that most magicians out there are not good at all, it really is natural ability to not only execute the moves, but to make them entertaining too.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Gideon,
If you read your own posts above and below mine you will realize that you have made my point.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Loual4
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
670 Posts

Profile of Loual4
Can it take years to master a sleight? Hum... Natural ability... You know, I might consider myself a "natural", because I did master some sleights very quickly indeed... But what I realise, now that I have been doing magic for quite a few years, is that there always is more that enough space for improvement. If you add "passion" and "dedication" to "years of practice", you may very well wind up with a person of "natural talents" who learned quickly, and is now capable of doing simple sleight better then everybody else, with a better timing then anybody else... I guess what I am trying to say is that mastering a sleight is only the begining. Time and experience can make you better, no mater who you are.

Have a good day!

Louis Jutras
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Can we say that Tiger Woods has a natural affinity toward golf? Or is it years of practice that swinging a golf club is a second nature for Tiger? I mean you look at Jay Sankey, his DL is like flipping a light switch. I'm sure he can do it with his eyes close. And I attribute this to his labor since he was a kid practicing sleights. I think if you have an intense interest in any subject, you'll have the motivation to do it right whatever it takes. And once nail it, it could look like you possess some sort of natural ability to a layperson.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
Do you mean "natural ability" as opposed to "synthetic ability"? Sounds like a joke until you stop and think about it.

Best regards,
Glenn Godsey
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Can it take years to master a sleight?You must out of your mind Louis Jutras..
I am practicing a DL for about a year now and its nowhere perfect!
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Jack it will probbly never be perfect in your eyes. It suffers from what much of magic suffers from, it looks unnatural. The fatal flaw is in order for it to be a DL you can never just take the card off the top of the deck, show it both sides and put it back.

Ask any one or a lot of people preferably who do not know magic but are fairly adept at playing cards to take the top card off the deck, show it both sides and put it back. See what they do? We can't AND make it a DL. It is always going to look just a bit funny. Add to that any feelings of guilt, doubt or self-conciousness we may have concerning the move and the rating slides dramatically downward on the perfection scale.

Someone with a real interest, such as yourself, will dedicate large amounts of time to achieve the you want - natural ability or not. I salute your dilligence.

Frank Tougas
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
I just have a few comments to add to this.

I'm sure everyone will find things that just come easy to them. For instance there are some card moves I can't do for the life of me but I know other magicians who mastered those moves with no trouble at all.

The big point I'd like to make about this is that sometimes it may seem like we master a move easily but later find out just how poorly we did it. I remember when I first learned how to classic palm a coin and they told me it'll take a lot of practice to do it well. I seemed to have picked up on the move very easily. I thought I had some "natural ability" for it. Maybe the shape of my hand muscles or something.

Not long ago I watched a video of me doing magic at a birthday party about 15 years ago. I was like, "Look at my hand! That's a terrible classic palm. My hand looks like my uncles hands that are curled from arthritis."

So what I thought was a natural ability was simply me doing it wrong but thought I was doing it right. Which was easy to do when I was doing it wrong.

The point is we may have some natural ability but we should still make sure we are doing it right. The way that comes natural may be because the wrong way is easier. Not always but look out for it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jonton
View Profile
Veteran user
New York City
336 Posts

Profile of Jonton
My high school has a Conjuring Club, and our club leader was a full time magician/full time German teacher. Last year, he got switched to a new school and my best friend was very upset. At this point, I had no interest in magic. I wanted to help him keep this club off the ground, even though I couldn't even shuffle a deck properly. I ended up organizing this club, and soon I was exposed to so much magic that it was an obligation to learn.

My friend had been doing magic for 6 years, and in less than 2 months, I surpassed him at a very high level. I don't know where this sudden interest came from, but I'm glad it came. In less than 6 months, I was not only performing magic at a professional level, I was doing payed shows for complete strangers.

I went to my first IBM convention after only having an interest in magic for 9 months. I jammed with high paid professionals and I passed for a 20 year verteran of magic.

I consider this a natural ability. I "mastered" the classic pass in 2 hours. I'm still, and always will be, learning the mechanics of it, but I perform it with the speed and agility as any professional cardician. I have a creative ability that allows me to understand an effect in magic, sit down with a deck of cards for 10 minutes, and be up performing as well as anyone else.

Many of you may consider this straight BS, but I swear on the head of my rabbit that it's not. If I were a religious man, I would call my ability a miracle. But since I'm not, I can only call it a Natural Ability.
~Jonton
I Came, I Saw, I Conjured
www.jontaylornyc.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Natural Ability? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL