The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Magicians are a joke! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
On Alias they wanted to highlight the social ineptitude of a character so they had him try and pick up a girl by inviting her to the magic castle.

Arrested Development has Job, the aspiring magician who takes himself way too seriously and keeps killing doves.

Johnathon Creek has the bumbling and egocentric magician who is constantly being saved by the illusion creator Johnathon.

League of Gentlemen has Dean, the wannabe street magician who gets busted using a thumbtip.

More then a few kid's movies cast a kid's party magician as the evil villian who steals the kid's dog (or whatever)

Have magician's become a bit of a joke in television and movies? Have there been any good presentations of magicians in the past ten years.

I can think of only two...

1) Shade - made by magicians so there is no wonder!
2) The Ricky Jay Episode of the X-files.
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
There is also the magician on C.S.I.
Cameron

Square-Circle: $59.99
Smoke Chamber: $1,299
Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

Some things money can't buy
For everything else there's Magster Card
thefifth
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thefifth
Oh man was that a bad episode.
[email]info@williampenix.com[/email]
www.williampenix.com
magicman414
View Profile
Regular user
Oklahoma
157 Posts

Profile of magicman414
Ha ha
Cameron

Square-Circle: $59.99
Smoke Chamber: $1,299
Showing up at work with a bad hair day dressed like a clown, and your clients are 7 years old: Priceless

Some things money can't buy
For everything else there's Magster Card
thefifth
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of thefifth
Night court had a semi good look at magicians, although Harry was kind of a nerd on the show, but it was still a good/fun look at magiicans. Ohh, whoops you said in the past 10 years. Nevermind. Way to shoot down my balloon before it flew. Sigh.
[email]info@williampenix.com[/email]
www.williampenix.com
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Hasn't this always been the case, though? With only a handful of exceptions, haven't magicians always been cast as jokes or villains?

For a great many people, magic falls into a certain sphere of the performing arts ... and it falls in among the same company as jugglers, mimes, sword swallowers, etc. We're a bit of a novelty act, to most people, are are just on the other side of "mainstream". How often do you see jugglers, mimes, and sword swallowers depicted in a flattering light on TV and in the movies?
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
40 year old virgin also takes pot shots at magic. Though, they were funny - because they were true.

But, let's face it, we are to blame. I'm no looker, but when I perform I dress the way a human being would. Look at some of the outfits on some of the avatars here. Yes, I know, we are "entertainers," but honestly, how many top name entertainers wear a sequined coat while in a restaurant.

We need to stop looking at ourselves through the eye od someone who carries a membership card to a magic club, and start looking at ourselves through the eyes of someone who stands a snowball's chance of getting across the velvet rope at a big city posh night club.

Brad "Who has owned his share of playing card ties, BUT NO MORE" Henderson
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Brian Turntime
Brad, you mean like Lance Burton?
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
Scott Grimm
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
141 Posts

Profile of Scott Grimm
Does Lance dress that way at a restaurant?
Faith is at the heart of all magic.
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

I was referring to this: "start looking at ourselves through the eyes of someone who stands a snowball's chance of getting across the velvet rope at a big city posh night club."

I think that would be Lance.
------

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died. - Steven Wright
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2586 Posts

Profile of truthteller
Lance, in real life, could very easily cross the line. As could Blaine, for that matter. But I don't think looking to any magician for style choices is the way to go. Go out to your cities finest restaurant that caters to the hipsters. Look at what they wear. Look at how they interact. Buy a copy of Maxim magazine and look at the fashion sections. Look at the red carpet parades on E!.

Now, look at almost any magi doing magic and balloons at TGIMcFrapplegan's and compare the two.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I retired my purple jacket for just that reason. For kid's, I dress pretty wacky but for adults its striking pinstrip suit all the way!

Again and again I hear magicians saying "I never mention magic when selling my ticketed shows to the public!" as if they know that the general public won't come.

One great thing about Blaine and Brown is that they look good all the time.

Barry - Mimes are treated even worse! Sword swallowers and jugglers and never characters, just background colour.

"Magic is based on tricks and secrecy, so traditionally, only pathetic, lonely people ever want to lie that much to get attention. Magicians are historically a sorry-assed lot, who keep company with flame-retardant midgets and frog-swallowers." - Salon Magazine http://www.salon.com/people/col/cintra/1......int.html
Brian Turntime
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

NJ:
The underlying subtext in that piece you linked above:

"Journalism is based on cynicism and condescension, so traditionally, only pathetic, lazy, snide people ever want to be that pompous that much to get attention. Reporters are historically a fat-assed lot, who keep company with drug-users and C-list notables." - Salon Magazine
------

NCR
View Profile
New user
Northfield Mount Hermon, MA
61 Posts

Profile of NCR
Quote:
On 2005-08-23 13:03, Brian Turntime wrote:
NJ:
The underlying subtext in that piece you linked above:

"Journalism is based on cynicism and condescension, so traditionally, only pathetic, lazy, snide people ever want to be that pompous that much to get attention. Reporters are historically a fat-assed lot, who keep company with drug-users and C-list notables." - Salon Magazine

Very well said.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'd say both quotes have a lot of truth in them!
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
I just saw David Copperfield(By many people here concidered the greatest magician of current times) get nailed in the head by VH1 as one of the top "Cheesetastic" tv stars.Which basically , yeah, means magicians are "cheesy guys who do tricks to get attention."You can't take them SERIOUS!

To quote the show even more"You hear this guy say someone just went through the great wall of China and you think....WOW! Then you see HIM and get disappointed."

Yet magicians want to follow the Copperfield act. Word for word and trick by trick.Even sometimes the LOOK! I have seen some guy here(I think we all know who I am talking about)who just seems to follow Copperfield religiously.I am sure he will create the Copperfield bible.

When will magic move?Ask yourself. You don't want it to be seen as a joke? Get out of it.....THINK outside the box. Question the why and how it can be improved. How it can become mainstream without all the mickey mouse crap you might not like.
The more you questions you ask the more answers you will get.

Magicians are a joke because they are often portrayed as "stunt men."Which most of the time they are. I don't like many magicians if any at all. They are not taken seriously because there is all the little estereotypes flying around and the countless magicians that never practice or try to improve and put a crappy performance.

Ultimately you know what none of it matters. Maybe we are just loosers. Are you? I am not........I can do better.

You want to stop it as a joke. LOOK, really LOOK for IT. NO one has done it yet in curret times.

Find it.

Magicians shouldn't be a joke. They should be artist.................

But that's just me.

Currently is magic a joke. Oh you bet!

Magicians worth something currently=

Eugene Burger
Penn and Teller
David Blaine

Nuff said. I don't like magicians( I like who they are as people and their intentions but not the performance). I like me tho. I am my own favorite magician.

Whatever...............
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Yeah its all a joke.

that's why I laugh
so hard.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Magicians are a joke! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL