The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Abbotts Encyclopedia of Rope Magic and that elusive Rope Cement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tawkin2ya
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Tawkin2ya
Reading through my new copy of Abbotts Encyclopedia of Rope Magic, I was reminded about "Burling Hull's Miracle Rope Restoration" and "Cut yourself a piece of Rope". Both of these effects fascinated me when I read about them years ago in my original Dover paperback version. Both of these effects use "liquid rope cement". Being born a few decades too late to know what liquid rope cement was... I was wondering if anybody on the forums knows what it was made of or is it still available in some obscure place?
Ray
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Re-packed rubber cement (so they could charge more)! Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Pete,

Remember the earlier days of layout for offset printing when they sold diluted rubber cement as something special? I kept mine in a trigger-type squirt oilcan with a bent gem clip stuck in the squirt hole to keep it from drying out. You'll have to admit that the fumes from the dryer/solvent made the rush to meet press deadlines more acceptable. Of course, once the brain is destroyed, being a magician is the logical career path. Here we are!

Bob
The fossil

PS --- I learned that from Tom Jones, a photographer who taught commercial photography at the University of Alabama in the same building with the art classes where Harold Rice got his start. Perhaps there is a rubber cement connection?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7435 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would hope rubber cement connects.

I remember using it for paste up at the newspaper. There was also a great way to gaff and envelope to be resealed later for a headline prediction. And lets not forget clippo.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy and I just got back from Big Lots where we bought a pint can of Borden's rubber cement for $.99.

Money is no object here!

Bob

PS --- Pete, we have some spray ointment for the horses that has a printed warning, "This product has been found to cause cancer in California." The simple solution seems to be move. Would you buy our house out there?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Abbotts Encyclopedia of Rope Magic and that elusive Rope Cement (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL