The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » VHS to DVD authoring (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
I have a new computer on the way with the hardware needed for doing DVD authoring. I'm planning on taking my library of magic videos, and putting them on DVD for ease of use and easier access to content.

Has anyone here done the same? If so, how were the results and do you have any insights in to the process?
matinex
View Profile
Regular user
San Jose, CA
108 Posts

Profile of matinex
Krumb,

If you own a Mac, you can do it with a combination of iMovie and iDVD. Both programs come free with all new Macs. When you want to take a step up, you can then purchase DVD Studio Pro, but it's pretty expensive.

I'm in the business, so I do use DVD Studio Pro on my Mac and I have done what you're thinking about doing. The video quality isn't nearly as good as original DVD, of course, but the convenience and savings in terms of storage space are incredible. The only drawback is the time you have to spend digitizing your video, labeling chapter stops, and burning the DVDs. Once you've created the DVD file, putting it on the disc itself could take many hours of computer time. Plan on setting it up at night before you go to bed.

If you have a PC (more likely), I don't really know what the good programs are.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

-David

PS. Since I'm in the technology business and an amateur magician, if anybody's interested in having your VHS collection converted to DVD, I would be happy to help out. For only $8.00 per tape mainly to cover the cost of materials and postage, I would be willing convert your VHS tapes to DVD and send them back to you. I won't keep any copies of the discs, so there's no copyright issue. I'm not making a profit on this -- I'm just offering my time to help fellow magicians. PM me if anyone's interested.
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
I realize that the quality won't be any greater than it was on vhs, but the easy access will be great. Be able to skip chapters in seconds instead of fast forwarding and rewinding for minutes will make life much easier.
Airborne Ranger
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Airborne Ranger
If you are on a limited budget and are looking for a PC program try the Windows Movie Maker software. It's easy to set chapters, menus, etc. Best part is it's free!
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
730 Posts

Profile of ftlum
It's a very time-consuming process even with a fast machine (it might be better if you have a dual-core processor though).

If you want a quick and dirty job, it's easy enough to do. Probably the fastest would be to get a converter to do hardware rendering on the fly. Things like Pinnacle's Movie Box will do that. Pinnacle's Studio software is excellent. It's easy to use and you can create text-only menus if you'd like. The down-side of this approach is you can't enhance the quality of the picture without losing resolution. If you don't mind video artifact (like annoying shimmering dots in black areas) this is the way to go.

The hard, but much better way to convert your VHS to DVD is getting a capture card (your video card may already have that capability) and capture the raw video. You'll then want to edit it with a freeware program called Virtualdub. You'll probably want to use Flaxen's VHS filter with it. Through the right filters (there's a lot of trial and error), you can get the tapes looking as good as the original. The processing will probably take overnight to finish. Then take the cleaned-up tape and edit/render it via Pinnacle Studio. Rendering is again slow and it'll probably be best to let it run overnight. http://www.videohelp.com/ is a great site for more info.

Finally, if you're like me, you'll probably want to give up completely and wait until L&L puts the videos out on DVD. Unless you have a lot of free time on your hands, it's not really worth the (very long) time it takes to do a good conversion. Nowdays, I will only convert tapes that I don't think will ever come out on DVD.

-- Frank
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I use Adaptec's VideOH!-USB2.0. It comes with Sonic's MyDVD software. This software is similar to Pinnacle's Studio. Both Pinnacle's Studio and Sonic's MyDVD are easy to use but are limited in their editing abilities. I am able to capture one or more videos that each get saved onto the computer as individual .wmv files. You can then create a compilation DVD (up to the 4.7 mrg limit) and these individual files can be combined onto one DVD. Each of the separate files will have its own thumbnail/menu button and, when you click onto any one particular video's menu button, that particular video is selected and a new menu for that particular video is opened up for additional menu selections.

Note that when video files (in various formats, such as .wmv files) are saved onto the hard drive, they can be viewed by the user while on the hard drive using Windows Media Player or other compatable player. However, if you want to burn these files onto a DVD playable on a DVD player, these various files MUST first be converted into a DVD compatable format (which, for most of us, are MPEG2 files), and then burned onto the DVD. After this has been done, these DVDs are then playable on a computer DVD player or on a set-box DVD player (hooked up to your TV) as a "normal" DVD movie (like you rent at Blockbusters). Both Pinnacle's Studio and Sonic's MyDVD are capable of converting video files to MPEG2; Windows Movie Maker is not. Any videos you make using Windows Movie Maker are NOT capable of being played as a DVD on either the computer or on a set box DVD player but Windows Movie Maker files can be played directly off of the hard drive on the computer using a compatible program such as Windows Media Player.

Assuming that the total movie length(s) does not total more than approx 95-100 minutes, you can make a compilation DVD. As an example, you could place three or four short money videos onto one DVD. The main menu would have a menu item for each of the various videos and, when you click onto a particular menu items (and choose a particular video to watch), you now get taken to that video and a separate video opens up for that video. You could also take many examples of various cups and balls routines and place them onto a single DVD with menu buttons to get you back and forth between each routine for quick comparisons.

This conversion process can be as time consuming as you want. You can do a "straight-through" video conversion fromm VHS tape to DVD without any menu itmes. This process preserves the video by copying it to a more durable media (DVD), but your converted DVD is basically not any more user-friendly than the original VHS tape. (i.., you must FF and REV to get to a certain spot on the DVD and then begin watching the video.)

A far better process is to add menu items/thumbnails for each magic effect presented and each explanation given. I do this but I go even further. I add a menu button for each sleight or move taught. In this way, I can use these DVDs as reference material and I can quickly find a particular sleight or move whenever I need to review it and/or refresh my memory.

My apologies if this explanation was not clear; if it was not, please send me a PM with any specific questions and I'll try to answer your questions.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Actually the product I use is called: VideOH!-DVD (USB2.0). It comes with the Adaptec AVC-2210 video capture card and the Sonic MyDVD software and it cost $99.99 at CompUSA in January of this year. Adaptec also makes a slightly more expensive version that has a video capture card with built in tuner in it so that you can also capture movies right off of your TV if that is something you'd also want to do. Both models allow for VHS tape-->DVD conversions but the "tuner" model also allows for you to record directly off of your TV.

Pinnacle Studio makes a similar video capture product for $99. It also includes the video capture card and the necessary starter software.

One caveat I just remembered: The $99.00 Adaptec version I purchased works with Win 98 SE ansd Win Me BUT, for Win XP it only works well with WinXP w/SP-1. Adaptec claims that it is working on a "patch" or upgrade for Win XP w/SP-2 but, if they really are, they have been working on this patch since at least when I purchased my unit in January. And, Adaptec's customer service is not user friendly. No human voices; just Internet emails "allowed". GRRR!

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Okami
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
157 Posts

Profile of Okami
I use the Dazzle Digital Video Creator 120. It converts any analog source directly in to the MPEG2 format (DVD) and works with USB. It comes with the Pinnacle Studio Software which you have to use for the saving on the hard drive. When it is saved I prefer to use Nero Reloaded to build chapters und menues because it works faster.
The Quality is pretty good too.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-08-22 06:28, Okami wrote:
I use the Dazzle Digital Video Creator 120. It converts any analog source directly in to the MPEG2 format (DVD) and works with USB. It comes with the Pinnacle Studio Software which you have to use for the saving on the hard drive. When it is saved I prefer to use Nero Reloaded to build chapters und menues because it works faster.
The Quality is pretty good too.

Okami,

Nero Reloaded sound very interesting. I've PM'ed you with some specific questions about this program. Thanks.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Abiloko
View Profile
New user
Barcelona (Spain)
55 Posts

Profile of Abiloko
In my opinion, the best solution is buy a dvd recorder that permets too transfer the vhs on dvd format. I have one from daewoo. With the Pc you spends a lot of time and sometimes the process is not easy. This recorder have some little options to make a basic menu and edit chapters and titles. If you calculate the price of the dvd and the quantity that you must to buy again, maybe not appears so expensive. Regards.
Best is yet to come ¡¡¡
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Abiloko is right, for the easiest way to do it, a set top DVD - VHS recorder is easiest. I don't have one, but a friend of mine does. It is as simple as putting the VHS tape in, putting a blank DVD in, and pressing a button. The menu is just a big blue screen with generic looking text you can type in.

I prefer transfering the video to computer where you can make much nicer menus, etc.

Since I have a PC, I use Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe Encore for video editing and DVD authoring respectively. These are higher end programs that have can have a steep learning curve. More akin to Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro on the MAC. These programs are designed more for someone who is actually making movies and authoring DVDs. There are a lot easier/cheaper programs for just transferring a VHS to DVD. I just personally never used them.

Here is a hardware tip to pass along...

If you are considering buying a new Digital Camcorder, look for a feature called analog to digital pass through. This enbables you to use your camcorder as an analog to digital converter. You plug the Audio/Video cables from the video out of your VCR to the Audio/Video in on the camcorder. Then you hook your camcorder up to your PC via a firewire cable to a firewire card on your computer.

Just play your video from your VCR, it goes to your camcorder which instantly converts it to digital and passes the digital signal to your computer. Just use the video capture features of your software to capture the digital signal.

I actually prefer this route. Instead of buying a seperate piece of hardware to convert analog video to digital, I prefered to buy a new camcorder - which obviously has more versatility.
Click to visit:
Krumb
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, WA
300 Posts

Profile of Krumb
Thanks for all the input guys. I've thought about buying a set top dvd burner since you can get them pretty cheap now. However, I want to have the flexibility to create menus and chapters for effects and explanations.

Dan - Thanks for the tip on the camcorder. I've read about that in the past but had since forgotten. I may very well head in that direction since I've been wanting a DV camcorder for a while.
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Pinnacle users. I am using Pinnacle Studio Version 9 and 9 Plus. I am starting to have a problem of static noise interference when recording on either of the versions. I talked to Pinnacle, and they have no idea of what the problem could be. Anyone have an idea? I'd really like to get back to recording.

To record a 1 hour VHS to DVD takes approximately 4 1/2 hours, this includes menues and chapters.

Rudy
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Rudy - what are you using to bring in your audio? My last camcorder's AV cable input started to go and I would have a buzzy noise in the line when capturing. What are you doing to bring the sound in?
Click to visit:
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Dan

I'm using Movie Box DV. VHS tape player through the Movie Box into the computer, firewire. While I'm watching what is being recorded, there is nothing but static being heard. I've tried another VHS player, same thing. But everyting works fine when hooked up to a TV. The static is coming out from one side (speaker). Even if I record it to DVD, the static is still heard on the DVD.

Rudy
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Rudy,

Your audio problem intrigures me because I had a similar audio problem.

For a while I was using my regular computer also for making these video conversions. I then decided to build a computer dedicated for video conversions only. A new 775 socket 2.66 Gig cpu with 1 gig of name brand memory and a 200 gig hard drive. Under this new setup, I would get some momentary audio cut-out. I tried everything including putting in a new Soundblaster audio card instead of using the on-board audio. When I went back to my other machine, I had no audio problems. Essentially, the only thing different between the machines is that on my "regular" machine, I am using a 256 meg Nividia Geoforce 5700 video card and on the new dedicated machine I only have a old 32 meg AGP video card. So, I'm wondering if my "audio" problem is really a video problem. That is, a problem of the old video card (or antiquated video drivers) not keeping up with the audio and the audio "cutting out" until the video "catches up".

Anyway, I went out and bought an ATI Raedon 9250 128 meg video card. I'll see if the new video card resolves the "audio" problem and I'll let you know the results.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
I am using Soundblaster Audigy and ATI Raedon 9600 pro (if my memory serves me correctly), Pentium 4 - 2.8 - 1 gig ram. I must have recorded 70 VHS to DVD tapes with no problem. Then all of a sudden the static just started out of nowhere. I used to get a sequence header problem, but Pinnacle helped me out with that. I had to put a little bit of blank space at the very beginning of the movie in the edit section and I no longer got the sequence header problem. When I play CD's or a DVD movie it works great with no static sound at all. When in the capture tab and start the VHS tape, that's when the static starts.

Rudy

Rudy
Partizan
View Profile
Inner circle
London UK
1682 Posts

Profile of Partizan
The best (fastest) method is to use a DVD burner set top box to get VHS to DVD. Then dump the DVD onto the PC for editing.
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus."
- Mark Twain
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Is it possible that your Movie Box DV has a bad audio recepticle where you plug in the AV cable for that one speaker (left or right)?
Click to visit:
Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
360 Posts

Profile of Rudy
I sent the origional Movie Box DV back to Pinnacle and they sent me a new Movie Box to try, but I got the same results. If I don't get this thing figured out in the future, I might try the new one from Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS. I understand this one does the same thing Pinnacle does, menues, chapters etc... I appreciate the response. Thanks Dan for your help.

Rudy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » VHS to DVD authoring (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL