The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What "Should" a Magician Be? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Honorable. Reputable.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Right on magicalaurie

How about a magician should be loyal - and build positive loyal networks of both friends and clients?
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Loyalty is good. Should be a two way street.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Okay since no one got my scrambled word stab at humor, I’ll give a more thoughtful response.

To be a magician one must be true to oneself. A magician is part performer, part
business person, and all human. With all the frailties as well as other interests that coincide with being a real person.

I have outlined some words I believe have a lot to do with the above statement. I present them for your consideration. (They are in no particular order).

Ability , Motivation , Positive Attitude, Have a Sense of Humor, Dedicated, Commitment,Creative, Innovative, Enthusiastic, Confident, Respectful, Demonstrate Good Leadership Qualities, Have Excellent Social Skills, Remain Dedicated to Self, Client and Audience, Excellent Listening Skills, Honesty,Communication Abilities, Adaptability, Consistency, Excellence, Empathetic, A Life long learner, Organized, Able to Accept, Embrace, and learn from Failure, Stamina, Relaxed,Reliable,Good Character, Concentration , Focus, Flexible, Good Work Ethic, Integrity Approachable, A Problem solver, Entertaining, Energetic.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
Sheesh Frank . . . now your comprehensive list has me intimidated.

I'll be leaving now to give away all my books and props . . .

Seriously, the theme I see coming through this broadly worded topic is that a magician should be a charismatic 'renaissance man.'

That's my belief.
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2005-08-27 23:09, Frank Tougas wrote:

To be a magician one must be true to oneself. A magician is part performer, part
business person, and all human. With all the frailties as well as other interests that coincide with being a real person.

Like that VERY MUCH, Frank. I agree 200% THANK YOU. Thanks for the list, too. Beautiful. Smile

Are you a mind reader? Smile
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Gee, Frank. I flunked your list within the first five requirements. I did get your Can I Ma? joke, so don't feel that it was wasted.

A magician should be a great liar, with perspicacious mendacity the hallmark of the profession. Truth is only a means to deceit in magic, and the one lesson we teach is that everyone can be had. There are only two kinds of people in the world, those who can be had and suckers. A sucker will bet you $50 he can't be had. Our lessons can teach people to save that $50.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
If you're saving someone $50.00, you're not all THAT bad. Bit of an inconsistency in the above statement, I believe. Smile I'm still with Frank, 200% Smile
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 13:13, Whit Haydn wrote:
Gee, Frank. I flunked your list within the first five requirements. I did get your Can I Ma? joke, so don't feel that it was wasted.

A magician should be a great liar, with perspicacious mendacity the hallmark of the profession. Truth is only a means to deceit in magic, and the one lesson we teach is that everyone can be had. There are only two kinds of people in the world, those who can be had and suckers. A sucker will bet you $50 he can't be had. Our lessons can teach people to save that $50.

I am glad someone came in and got us away from the Boy Scout creed everyone was giving here. Smile

That 50 dollar lesson may be best taught if we take it first, but give it back with a smile on our face. Even better if we do it in a way that they go home and tell their friends that they should go and lose their fifty to us too.
Chris
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 07:33, Kenn Capman wrote:
Seriously, the theme I see coming through this broadly worded topic is that a magician should be a charismatic 'renaissance man.'

That's my belief.

Right on! And they should love magic and people in the way that by doing magic for people they have as much fun doing magic as the audience has watching magic.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
True, Glenn. Should have a love for magic. Seems rather obvious, but perhaps needs stating in this day and age.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:

Magicians don't lie they exaggerate and promote and perform a mystic art that has been passed down through the ages and generations of entertainment until today!

Said the Doctor while selling his remedy from his wagon - "Why use 3 words to describe a product when ten will do!"
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 23:04, bishthemagish wrote:
Quote:

"Magicians don't lie they exaggerate..."

When I tell my audience that I can cause a card to rise out of the deck, or a bill to float using no material aid, but solely with the power of my mind, it is more than an exaggeration.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What is it then?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
It is a lie.

It is only a problem if we can't distiguish between lies that are done to harm others and lies that are told with the willing participation of the spectator.
Chris
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I never lie when I am doing the rising cards. I never tell them that I am not using a material aid. I just let them concentrate and the cards rise out of the deck. I don't know how it works. I'm sure that t****d I pull (which I am very careful not to mention) has nothing to do with it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 23:27, daffydoug wrote:
What is it then?

It is a magic trick!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I have thought long and hard about the things I say to the spectators and I listen to what most of you say about the issue of lying. I have come to the conclusion that no matter what I would try to do I still have to lie. I don't have the time or desire to rework everything I do so that I am technically honest. Because as Jonathan points out, no matter what my words are, I am still lying. I am leading people to believe that the ball that I apparently just placed in my left hand vanished with a wave of the wand. That is an untruth, as long as I fail to point out it is still in my right. But who cares? Spectators don't as long as they know I am not going out of my way to make them believe that lie once they leave show.

I don't know why we have to play semantical games with this.
Chris
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Lets see what Robert-Houdin had to say on the matter:

"The most indispensable requirement, however, for the successful practice of the magic art is great neatness of manipulation combined with special mental acuteness."

Hmmmm....

;)
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Audiences realize the nature of magic. They realize things are not necessarily what they appear to be or what we tell them they are. They know they are being led in a certain direction. They expect to be deceived. Part of the fun and challenge for the audience is in attempting to resist the guidance of the magician. A magician should be able to handle this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What "Should" a Magician Be? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL