The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How many magicians are there in the world? (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
"Middle-aged-grandma-weekend-warrior-clown" is a hilarious term!! I have usually referred to them as bored housewives. They are a plague here, too. The only thing they do worse than magic is their make-up.

How many magicians are out there? Too many for the workers and not enough for the dealers.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
My bet is there's 100,000s of guys in undeveloped countries, who have never seen a book or a TV, who can perform sleight of hand miracles with a few stones and twigs. And they worked it all out by themselves or with the help of one elder in the village. Not an Ammar Vid or a copy of Bobos in sight Smile There's likely some unique moves out there waiting to be "discovered".
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Lets say there are approximately 350 Rings in the IBM and each had an average of 10 members, that's 3,500 magicians. we know there are not an average of 100 or (35,000) active magicians in those rings.

Using SAM numbers and adding them would not work because many members are members of both. So an inflated number would result.

The Café numbers are not a real number because people log in under different names, log in because they are curious, and over 10,000 have one or no postings. About 3,500 have over 50 postings. This seems to be in line with the IBM Ring estimate.

Many so-called magicians are just curious and after a short-lived experience, move on. Not all members of organizations are magicians, and not all magicians are member of organizations.

Worldwide estimates would be impossible because the term magician does not have a universal meaning.

If I just double 3,500 or say 7,000 active magicians, it could be closer to reality.
Dennis Michael
Kenn Capman
View Profile
Regular user
Southwestern Michigan
196 Posts

Profile of Kenn Capman
How about this?

When I'm looking for buddies to session with, there aren't enough.

When I'm in competition for bookings, there's too many.
"The thermometer of success is merely the jealousy of the malcontents."
- Salvador Dali -
saxmangeoff
View Profile
Veteran user
Moscow, ID, USA
353 Posts

Profile of saxmangeoff
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 23:39, Michael Baker wrote:
How many magicians are out there? Too many for the workers and not enough for the dealers.

I think that about sums it up!

Geoff
"You must practice your material until it becomes boring, then practice it until it becomes beautiful." -- Bill Palmer
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Call me a cynic, but......

About 9.

Oops - make that 8 since Del Ray passed away.
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 09:05, DenDowhy wrote:
Lets say there are approximately 350 Rings in the IBM and each had an average of 10 members, that's 3,500 magicians. we know there are not an average of 100 or (35,000) active magicians in those rings.

Using SAM numbers and adding them would not work because many members are members of both. So an inflated number would result.

The Café numbers are not a real number because people log in under different names, log in because they are curious, and over 10,000 have one or no postings. About 3,500 have over 50 postings. This seems to be in line with the IBM Ring estimate.

Many so-called magicians are just curious and after a short-lived experience, move on. Not all members of organizations are magicians, and not all magicians are member of organizations.

Worldwide estimates would be impossible because the term magician does not have a universal meaning.

If I just double 3,500 or say 7,000 active magicians, it could be closer to reality.

Whatever does SAM, or the Café have to do with the number of magicians in the world even given your statement that the term of magician has no universal meaning? Surely one has to think further outside the box.
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Nick,

I was just complaining about stupid, flippant answers to a thread I started and I just did the same thing.

My apologies.

sam
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
It was not a stupid, flippant answer. It was a perceptive, flippant answer. There is a difference.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-08-28 22:55, bishthemagish wrote:

Once you learn magic and put the time in - magic IS easy. Making a living doing magic is HARD!

I never had much trouble, myself.

What is the difference between a large pizza and a magician.

A large pizza can feed a family of four.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
What is the difference between pizza and magicians?

I heard this question asked at a magic convention once, and someone immediately answered, "I like pizza."
~michael baker
The Magic Company
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
One fills a bold platter, the other's full of old patter Smile
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
I swear, Bill, Michael Baker, BlackShadow...

You, among the others, are the reason I've always loved Magicians...

No matter how many or how few we are (I'm counting myself loosly here), Magicians are and will forever be some of the most creative and intelligent of all the entertainers in the world.

I'm primarily a Vent. and Juggler....Both of these displines are just as rigorous and demanding as Magic, but really, honestly, neither have the need for quick thinking and humor as Magic provides.

Thanks for the laugh guys...You kill even without props and sleights.

Prof. Piper
:juggle:
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
...and the irony is, a juggler will usually steal the show at a magic convention. Thanks for the comments.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 23:15, Michael Baker wrote:
...and the irony is, a juggler will usually steal the show at a magic convention.

That is because magic is easy...once you know the secret. Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 23:18, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-08-29 23:15, Michael Baker wrote:
...and the irony is, a juggler will usually steal the show at a magic convention.

That is because magic is easy...once you know the secret. Smile

Yeah, but I grew up when magic was E-Z.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
A juggler will, nine times out of ten, walk off with a show at a magician's convention. So will a good vent.

However, at the Centenary celebration, there was this juggling troupe that was poetry in motion. They went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

I wish they had cut their act in half. The first 3 or four minutes was beautiful. Then it became hypnotic, then it becams DULLLLL.

And then there was this ventriloquist who had a vent figure that looked for all the world like one of those "solid 'love companions' " that one might see in a sleazy magazine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Bill...

I know what you mean about some jugglers (usually troupes) who have no concept of KISS (Keep it Short Stupid)...Dazzle the audience then GET OFF STAGE!

A lot of juggler's want to show you every pattern or run they can do; me, I want to show my best stuff (normally under 5 minutes) then move on to something else.

As for the Vent...God only knows what he was thinking...And it might have been a real blow up dolly.

Thanks for the heads up guys...Now I know what gear to bring with me when I attend a Magic convention...

My juggling gear!!

Prof. Piper
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-08-30 11:23, Professor Piper wrote:
Bill...

I know what you mean about some jugglers (usually troupes) who have no concept of KISS (Keep it Short Stupid)...Dazzle the audience then GET OFF STAGE!

A lot of juggler's want to show you every pattern or run they can do; me, I want to show my best stuff (normally under 5 minutes) then move on to something else.

As for the Vent...God only knows what he was thinking...And it might have been a real blow up dolly.

Prof. Piper

So this is what we're up against? Should be a steal.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Take away the malcontents and there might be one or two left in the world.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » How many magicians are there in the world? (18 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL