The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Cogitations - GONE! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I just heard that Steven Youell will not continue Cogitations:

"Thank you all for your support. Cogitations has now closed.

For personal reasons, I will not be doing Cogitations II-- nor will I be involved in the magic world any longer.

Thank You

Steven Youell"

The link to Cogitations is now dead. I was under the impression members could have indefinite access to the link. I'm disappointed that I didn't print all of the tricks when I had the chance.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I'm more worried why Steve will not be involved in magic anymore. He is a talent we can't afford to lose.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
You said you "heard" it, but then went on to provide some quoted text. What is the source of that text?
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
The quote:

Quote:
After much thought, I have decided that I will refund everyone's money and not produce Cogitations II.

I'm tired of dealing with contributors who promise material and don't deliver.

I'm tired of dealing with the large number of anonymous people on public forums who have opinions, but no facts.

But mostly I'm just not interested in taking this amount of stress for something as stupid as card tricks.

Steven Youell

The fact that the money has been returned, and that the site is down - should suffice as proof... (I was a member)
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
Xformer7,

I read this on the Genii Forum.

I am a member of Cogitations; unfortunately I have never received any of Steven Youell's emails. This is entirely my fault because I recently realized that I misspelled my email address when I joined Cogitations.

I was hoping some other members could fill me in on the content of the emails that I missed (you can pm me if you prefer).
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16238 Posts

Profile of tommy
This is very sad news as Steve is one of the very best. What ever he does I wish him well.

Regards

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Andrew Loh
View Profile
Inner circle
Malaysia
1455 Posts

Profile of Andrew Loh
Yeah, curious, I wonder Steve will reply here or not when he read this thread????? Smile

Andrew

Check out my new card magic eBooks "The Magnificent Queens" & "Triple Charms" at:
www.cardicianden.com

My Cardician Den Blog:
http://pasteboards.blogspot.com/
VBall
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
165 Posts

Profile of VBall
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 11:46, Andrew Loh wrote:
Yeah, curious, I wonder Steve will reply here or not when he read this thread????? Smile

Andrew

I doubt it. He probably left due to some of the members here.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
311 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Not doing Cogitations II is one thing, but to "not be involved in the magic world any longer" is quite a distressing prospect. I can only hope that if this truly reflects his current feeling, that it is only temporary and the feeling passes (weeks or months....not years).
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2322 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Well, I hate to say this, but this is not the first time this has happened with Steve.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1211 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
This kinda petulance is quite tiresome; I only hope he really follows through with a complete exit from the magic world.

A.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
pierredan
View Profile
Special user
Dai Vernon's birthplace
533 Posts

Profile of pierredan
I really do not understand the animosity that is continuously aimed at Steven Youell.

I have greatly enjoyed many of his instructional CD's, his lecture notes "Weapons of Mass Destruction" (free with Cogitations membership) and Cogitations. Furthermore, he gave me excellent after sale service.

Is Steven an **** in real life? Has he done things to upset some of the magicians out there? Has he forgotten to give credit where credit is due?

Surely people have a lot more to hold against him than the minor quips regarding Cogitation?
Tony Noice
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of Tony Noice
Steve was always a gentleman and more than fair. However, I am disappointed that the site was taken down without warning as I've been busy and did not read the last few articles on the assumption that they would always be available to members.
mortonch
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of mortonch
As a cogitations fan I am gutted that there will not be a second instalment.

Footnote to some Café members: I was always taught that if you cant say something nice about someone then don't say anything at all.
-Chris-
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1133 Posts

Profile of Paul H
As an older member of the Café and new'ish to card magic, I feel deeply saddened by Steven Youell's decision to step away from magic. I have found him very accommodating and extremely helpful with regard to his careful teaching material and the conscientious effort he almost single handedly put into Cogitations. Steven's Mongral Pass, Rotation pass, Cardini Multiple Shift and Ron Bauer TTT are in the process of becoming the mainstay of my repertoir of card controls and sleights. His Weapons of Mass Destruction continues to be a source of ideas and inspiration. I will miss his unique contribution, his experience and his thorough teaching style very much.

Regards,

Paul H
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I will miss Steven's presence and definatly cogitations... but I am sure glad I backed up every picture, video and page that was posted!!! Backing up is truly a nessicity in today's online world.

Anyway, I only have issue with this comment:
Quote:
Footnote to some Café members: I was always taught that if you cant say something nice about someone then don't say anything at all.

That works great for your mom, but that is the reason that she is your mom and not a world leader.

Can we please imagine a world where this is followed?

Millions dieing to genocide, but we just say "Wow they sure are killing them fast!!!"

Or on a smaller scale, we have a society of really crappy magicians because no one would give them honest feedback but instead says "Well I really liked your music" or "Those were some pretty nice appearing canes!" instead of give them good feedback, resulting in them contining to not only perform a bad act but think that they are good.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a rant, but people saying "Only speak nice things" is on my top 5 list of things that @#%&*@% me off.

It's bad advice that you shouldn't follow... would you be rather be known as a straight shooter that give you solid honest advice or some guy that kisses butt all the time?
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 14:22, Daegs wrote:
It's bad advice that you shouldn't follow... would you be rather be known as a straight shooter that give you solid honest advice or some guy that kisses butt all the time?

Thank you! I wished to say this to him, but couldn't find the words Smile
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Alniner
View Profile
Loyal user
Burlington, ON, Canada
254 Posts

Profile of Alniner
I got exactly what I wanted and expected out of Cogitations. Steven, if you are reading this thank you for your time.
Skĺl

--
Alan
Carlo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco, California
240 Posts

Profile of Carlo
Steven,

Why are academic battles so bitter? "Because there is so little at stake". I got a lot more than my money's worth. Thanks for all your efforts. Illegitimi non carborundum, pal, don't let the ***s wear you down.

Carlo
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
I also got more than I paid for.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Cogitations - GONE! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL