The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Cogitations - GONE! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I was an early member and the last several weeks had been very lax about checking updates. I too never got around to printing out articles and tricks I wished to save. I had never met Steven or dealt with him before Cogitations. I was having some problems logging in and he called me and talked me through it. We talked for about 45 min about magic in general. If he sees this, thank you Steven, you'll be missed.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16237 Posts

Profile of tommy
“But mostly I'm just not interested in taking this amount of stress for something as stupid as card tricks.”

That is an interesting comment. I mean I sometimes think we take card tricks too seriously and we should just enjoy it like artists enjoy painting, but we seem to turn into art critiques rather than artists as we get into talking about it. It is interesting to do so, but it does seen to kill the love of performing it, to some extent.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1133 Posts

Profile of Paul H
A very good point Tommy.

Regards,

Paul H
mortonch
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of mortonch
Daegs
I tend to beleive there is a difference between being a straight shooter and putting the boot in. I also believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion and don't dare dispute that everyone is entitled to speak their mind. However there has been a lot of unjustifiably harsh posts written about Steven. So much so that the guy has decided to take a step back from magic. Let me stress that I am not refering to every single person that said cogitations didn't live up to their expectations. It is a small number of posts that I feel were unjustifiably harsh.

I have never kissed ass in my life but I still find it possible to stand by my beliefs.
Perhaps the phrase I was looking for was something else my mother taught me
"Good manners don't cost anything"
-Chris-
jskalon
View Profile
Special user
Shorewood, IL.
869 Posts

Profile of jskalon
Has anyone been able to reply to the email Steven sent out? They just bounce back.

Well anyway, Steven if you read this thread, I don't need or want a refund for Cogitations II. When all is said and done, I got way more than my money's worth.
(just my opinion guys)
Thanks and good luck.
Jack
Jack Skalon

"That's my story and I'm stickin' to it"
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
"Each week you'll be treated to a new article from one of the top Cardmen in the world. Every article, every effect will be archived so everything you read will always be at your fingertips. And you'll never see any banner ads or pop-up ads! What you WILL see, however, are articles, effects, commentaries and even rants from names you can trust. A few of the Contributors we already have:"....
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
I got more than I paid for with the first installment! In fact, there were some folks who were mightly upset that the lecture notes they hoped would be fairly limited in circulation, simply because Steve doesn't lecture all that often, were available so easily! "Weapons of Mass Destruction" was worth the subscription by itself!

And is there ANYONE who wouldn't have gladly paid Paul Cummins for his "Punken Droker"? I have to say it is one of the few things I've read recently that I will actually use, consistently.

The excellent three-part "Card Trick" by Ron Bauer sent me to the study to check the edge on my Card Cutter immediately, But then, that's how I respond to anything of Bauer's.

I've been doing false deals for years, and it was a pleasure to FINALLY have some footage of deals done as they should be - thank you to Andru!

J.C. Wagner was a "Blast From The Past", a terrific addition anytime. It was great to see him re-enter the magic world, in part, thru Cogitations - welcome back, J.C.!

And how about that Wimhurst guy, huh? In the service of his government, and in harm's way over there in the mid-east, and he STILL found time for card tricks - now THAT'S dedication...

Oh yeah, I almost forgot - Steve even wrote some things up himself! Card tricks, history,(How ABOUT that Busby guy?), finesses to moves that are often overlooked, (Cardini was more than just a manipulator, as Steve so ably demonstrated with his control of 4 Aces!), and the application of "standard" material! I've no doubt forgotten something, but you get the idea - we really got screwed here! $20.00 and that's ALL the bum gave us? Well I for one say, "Never! Never, again! Never!"

OK, so that last part WAS sarcastic. And yes, I AM a friend of Steven's, so I have an interest in seeing him fairly judged for his efforts. So what? What would YOU expect from YOUR friends? Of course I support Steve, he IS my friend and that what friends are SUPPOSED to do. Even if I weren't, though, I'd have to have LEAPT to his defense on this issue. Dollar for dollar, Cogitations was the best investment in Magic in a long time. Too bad that Steve couldn't quite pull it off. On the other hand, Bravo! for trying something new, and for making quite a few people very happy! The noise you hear is from the "critics", the few who are disgruntled. Of course they post negatively, otherwise they wouldn't be "critics". If you are happy, say so! Let the people who didn't participate in this experiment know that there are a lot more folks who are pleased they took part in it than there are people who think it failed. The only gauge they have is public comment. Make sure your voice is heard...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
It sounds like Mr Youell was hurt and upset by a variety of things and that's really too bad. He did a bang up job with Cogitations (that's a Canadian way of say it was very good). Well worth every single penny spent. An A+ in this guy's books.
tjo'
Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1632 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
I also am a friend of Steve's. Not super close but enough for me to also come to his defense and merely to say, "thanks Steve for everything." I never said it before but I mean it now. You have truly made a difference and your efforts will never go unrecognized. For those of you who were not fortunate enough to have subscribed, I really have to say that Cogitations was by far the best 20 dollars on magic I have EVER spent.

Best,

Dorian Rhodell
Dan McLean
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you
1259 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean
I'm saddened by the loss of Cogitations and Steven Youell. As I said in a previous post, my $20 was the best money I had spent on magic in quite some time. I'm also more than a little disappointed that Paul Chosse's work planned for Cogitations II will not occur nor will Ron Bauer's RAP.
***!!!!
Well, people have been known to take a break from magic. I did. Hopefully Steven's absence will be a brief one.
Dan
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Steven is a great talent. I hope that he will take some time out to let his head settle and then come back to magic refreshed. It would be a shame to lose him. He is one of the rare performers who is both a great entertainer and a dedicated craftsman at sleight of hand. He is also very inventive and original.

I can't imagine that anyone would feel anything but loss if he truly leaves our community.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-08-26 18:28, Paul Chosse wrote:
And yes, I AM a friend of Steven's, so I have an interest in seeing him fairly judged for his efforts. So what? What would YOU expect from YOUR friends? Of course I support Steve, he IS my friend and that what friends are SUPPOSED to do.

Best, PSC

I wish that this feeling of friendship was expressed and talked about and fallowed up with the actions more often in the Café. Friendships like this in magic are rare and must be earned.

Both Steve and Paul are the real deal and the Café members are LUCKY to have them as members!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3222 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I also was very happy with what I received from Cogitations.

It was worth way, way, more than I paid.

I hope Steve returns to magic.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
magicbear
View Profile
New user
Bellevue, Washington
67 Posts

Profile of magicbear
Okay, so Cogitations was not perfect and Steve did not meet every condition he stated in his initial promotion. So what? It sounds like the task turned out to be much more difficult than Steve had anticipated. Cogitations was well worth the money and a fun ride while it lasted. Not only was the material good, usable stuff and WMD outstanding, but also somehow in reading Cogitations I got the sense of community and belonging to something special. Thanks Steve, sorry it turned out to be such a bad experience for you.
cardcraft
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cardcraft
You know, people might be more understanding if Mr. Youell wasn't such a putz to begin with.

Have you read some of his rants and criticism of other people's work??? Or the rude and vicious emails! Even reviews I've agreed with him, he makes me cringe. There is such a thing as tact!

And then, when he over-promises and under-performs, we're supposed to give him a pass! (keep in mind, this isn't the first time either) Too bad.

You reap what you sow!
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2005-08-27 13:24, cardcraft wrote:
You know, people might be more understanding if Mr. Youell wasn't such a putz to begin with.

Have you read some of his rants and criticism of other people's work??? Or the rude and vicious emails! Even reviews I've agreed with him, he makes me cringe. There is such a thing as tact!

And then, when he over-promises and under-performs, we're supposed to give him a pass! (keep in mind, this isn't the first time either) Too bad.

You reap what you sow!

I wonder why people think that it is OK to enter a forum and hide behind a screen name and then on their second post - use it as an opportunity to slam someone.

Being in magic for 30 years or more and running a magic shop and at one time two magic shops for about 15 years. And after taking over after my father had a stroke - and adding to the business - a computer catalog - mail order - a newsletter.

I know a little bit about starting something and then keeping it going. Writing a newsletter or a e-magazine is a very large undertaking. The reason is that after a few issues it gets very hard to keep the quality of the material up.

As magicians and performers it takes time to come up with the new - great and workable ideas. In other words - there is no way to put a time clock to creativity in performance material. Creativity and ideas come over time through the performance of material through the review and inspiration of other and older material.

And the inspiration and performance of doing live shows.

Steve Youell's project was very ambitious and he is an ARTIST!

Artists do not walk to the beat of the business drum. They try, sometimes do, but deep down they are artists. And basically the creative ideas come to an artist as they do and not under a time clock. Perhaps from a business stand-point it appears that Steven bit off more that he could chew with this project and had a hard time keeping up with it. But artists often do that and I have met very few good business men in magic. And I have known a lot of magicians.

I am not a good business man. Often in magic we learn and do the business because we HAVE to do it. Not because we want to do it or like to do it. Often we start projects without a business plan and the plan is written as the project goes on!

Having put my stuff on the magic market and being one that has put up with the brickbats of magic's hidden hecklers I have this to say.

The loss of this project and what could have been future projects from this and other artists - Is a GREAT LOSS TO MAGIC!

Because the hidden hecklers seem to win - but in fact - WE ALL LOSE!
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I haven't agreed with you on much recently, Bish, but I whole-heartedly agree with everything you said here. Very well put! Right on.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I have to agree with Bish on this one, too.

And "cardcrap" or whatever your name is, don't hide behind a monicker. If you are willing to call Steve a putz, at least be man enough to come out and tell us who you are, so we can decide if you are speaking from first hand knowledge. Or if it just takes one to know one.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cardcraft
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of cardcraft
Listen, you can get bogged down in the tired argument of anonymity, but the issue doesn't change -

Steve's criticism of other's work (material that they worked just as hard on as Steve did with Cogitations) has been harsh and unnecessarily cruel.

And the emails he's sent are vicious! I know, I've received a few.

So I have no sympathy for the hypocrite. You reap what you sow!

There are reasons for my anonymity, so discount what I say if you want. But I KNOW I'm not the only one singing this tune!
MagicPooBah
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of MagicPooBah
Cardcraft,

You are FAR, FAR from alone here. These type of wounds heal very slowly.

If the truth be known, I'm rather sure the reason for anonymity is well understood and the cry for disclosure is disingenuous, at best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Cogitations - GONE! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL