The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Eugene Burger Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I need help finding where to obtain some of Burger's older books. I have Performance of Close-up already. I would like to add some of his others but am having a hard time finding some like Spirit Theater and Strange ceremonies. A little help please.

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Try H&R Magic Books, Aladdin Books, Mario Carrandi, Andy Greget, Byron Walker, Kenna Thompson, etc. Check ebay regularly. Check with the Café's own Mitch, who often has books for sell and for auction on ebay. Just keep your eyes peeled!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I know that his earlier works were bound into a single volume and published a few years ago. It's called, "Mastering the Art of Magic". Most of the larger dealers should have it.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2002-10-29 04:52, samuel wrote:
I need help finding where to obtain some of Burger's older books. I have Performance of Close-up already. I would like to add some of his others but am having a hard time finding some like Spirit Theater and Strange ceremonies. A little help please.

Samuel

Both Spirit Theater and Strange Ceremonies are available directly from Eugene. Just go to his website (www.magicbeard.com) and order them there. You can also find some of his other books, such as Mastering the Art of Magic (which contains his early booklets: Secrets and Mysteries for the Close Up Entertainer, Audience Involvement, The Secrets of Restaurant Magic, On Matt Schulien's Fabulous Card Discoveries, Intimate Power, The Craft of Magic and Other Writings, and Rediscoveries.), Growing in the Art of Magic (and excellent little booklet that everyone should read), Magic and Meaning, and Solomon's Mind (not Eugene's magic, but he did write it). You can also pick up his videos and effects there.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
Hello,

I would like to know your opinions about which is the best book of Eugene Burger.

I have read great things about him but do not have any of his books yet.

I am more interested in learning concepts that improve the impact of the effects I already perform,instead of learning new tricks(sure some new killer tricks would not hurt!)

Thank you again for your indications!

Rebecca
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Regular user
sInGaPoRe
103 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
I have most of his books and I recommend Growing in the Art of Magic and Mastering the Art of Magic. These 2 books are very good and will change your perspective of magic. The essays will make your head spin!
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1268 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I would suggest for you Mastering the Art of Magic. If you perform closeup The Performance of Closeup Magic is an excellent book. The essays are very good and read easily.

Samuel
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
davidcarlo
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of davidcarlo
I second (and third) the recommendation for Mastering the Art of Magic. Will make you think long and hard about your close-up presentations and why and what you are trying to accomplish
Rebecca Travis
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
110 Posts

Profile of Rebecca Travis
Thank you everybody for your suggestions…I shall begin with “Mastering the art of Magic”,his first (seven) books!

Rebecca
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1941 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Eugene is an amazing thinker and I value his contributions to our art most highly. He changes the focus from acquiring effects to becoming a craftsperson and a true artist. That is the way.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yes, mastering the art of magic is a gem! Smile
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
I read Growing in the Art of Magic when I was still pretty new to magic and it changed the way I think about everything and I go back and read it from time to time to keep myself in check.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
What is the main difference between the two? are they relatively the same? (growing vs mastering the art of magic)
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 12:48, sirbrad wrote:
What is the main difference between the two? are they relatively the same? (growing vs mastering the art of magic)

Brad I don't have "mastering" but in "growing" it is a transscript of a taped interview between Burger and several other people ,(Danny Orleans,Jack Gould, and Jay Inglee) here is the table of contents for you to bump up against Mastering
Growing
The Way of the Magician
Managing People Close-Up
Before the Show (with Danny Orleans)
After the Show (with Danny Orleans)
The Origin and Symbolism of Magic (with Jack Gould)
The Future of Magic (with Jay Inglee)
Seeking a Magical Vision
Imagination, Solitude and Creativity
The Flow of Water
I bought mine from Daytona magic for 8 dollars, I looked around and couldn't find any with the tapes still so got the book only version. Hopes this helps
Wade
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Cool thanks. how many pages is it? hard bound? for that price, I will pick this up also. Smile
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Growing In The Art of Magic - A personal audio-encounter with Eugene Burger - Tape One includes Growing; The Way of the Magician and Managing People Close-Up. Tape Two includes Before The Show (with Danny Orleans); After The Show (with Danny Orleans); The Origin and Symbolism of Magic (with Jack Gould) and The Future of Magic (with Jay Inglee). Tape Three includes Seeking a Magical Vision; Imagination, Solitude and Creativity and The Flow of Water. Three audiocassettes in a custom storage case. Burger at his very best. are these the tapes?
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
Quote:
On 2004-07-12 13:12, sirbrad wrote:
Growing In The Art of Magic - A personal audio-encounter with Eugene Burger - Tape One includes Growing; The Way of the Magician and Managing People Close-Up. Tape Two includes Before The Show (with Danny Orleans); After The Show (with Danny Orleans); The Origin and Symbolism of Magic (with Jack Gould) and The Future of Magic (with Jay Inglee). Tape Three includes Seeking a Magical Vision; Imagination, Solitude and Creativity and The Flow of Water. Three audiocassettes in a custom storage case. Burger at his very best. are these the tapes?

Sounds like it...I am at work right now so I can't look to see how many pages but it is a soft cover booklet and for the price definitely worth it. I would have paid much more after reading it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did (and do)
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Yea I found the tapes for sale I think at hanks! $28.00 is a hefty price for 3 cassettes, but of course it is worth it with burger. I am checking to see if you get the transcript as well, just in case something may not be totally clear, or back ups, etc...
Curmudgeon
View Profile
Loyal user
Iowa
245 Posts

Profile of Curmudgeon
Just to let you know there are no effects taught, it is just thoughts and great advice to make you think about things a little differently than you do right now. Its worth, the only fear I would have is the condition of the tapes but it would be great to listen to him talk about the subjects that are covered.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Also:

Magical Voyages - Eugene Burger - A Three Volume DVD Set
Part 1: A Voyage to the Real World - Working behind a bar for an audience of real people, Eugene Burger makes it clear why he is one of the world's most celebrated close-up artists. Then, he's joined by David Parr to analyze these time-tested routines from Eugene's performing repertoire. You'll be delighted at the clever method behind David Solomon's Cutting Ten, be impressed with how much excitement Eugene derives from a Simple Spelling card trick and be drawn in by his presentation for Alan Ackerman's Gemini Money. Eugene and David reveal two astonishing new methods for a U.F. Grant classic in the 21st Century Bill Transposition. Eugene offers insights into spectator management, audience involvement, and the concepts that transform magic into something meaningful.

Part 2: A Voyage to the Unreal World - On this tape Eugene is joined by Jeff McBride to explore close-up magic that is offbeat, whimsical and decidedly strange. This journey begins with Flash Spirit Message, as efficient a link to the ghostly realm as you could ever request. In Double Reverse, a classic Walter Gibson effect is raised from a card trick into an evocative piece of intimate Spirit Theater (including Eugene's personal handling on Glorpy). Eugene's version of Al Baker's Card in the Hat leads into a detailed discussion of advanced thread technique. Jeff then shows what happens when Mark Twain meets Robert Neale, as he explains The Five Gifts of Life. Eugene teaches Phil Goldstein's The Wagers of Sin. Finally, there's a thorough analysis of Matt Schulien's Corner in the Glass. Eugene also offers special insights into presentational framing, rehearsal techniques and the concepts that transform magic into something significant.

Part 3: A Voyage to the Inner World - If you've ever dreamed of a private session with Eugene Burger, now is your chance. Sinology, a simple coin routine, becomes a parable about self-discovery. In his version of Lin Searles' Cannibals, Eugene combines sly humor with impressive technical chops that will fool you, until he explains it. In New Match Stickler, a Milbourne Christopher item usually thrown away as a bar stunt becomes a powerful mystery. More ominous themes are considered in Robert Neale's daring Last Dream. To conclude this encounter, Eugene discusses the thinking that led to the creation of two of his most requested routines: The Inquisition, his wickedly dark take on Roy Walton's Card Warp, and Shakespearean Thread, an evocative new presentation for the Hindu Thread. Eugene also offers special insights into artistic expression, performance philosophy, and the theories that transform magic into something deeply personal. Composed and Directed by Max Maven

All three DVDs. $95.00

wow what a chunk of change! lol sounds awesome though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Eugene Burger Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL