The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Jay Sankey Anytime Anywhere DVD (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
vago
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
115 Posts

Profile of vago
Thx
nimrod
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of nimrod
Evolve629,

the one word Sankey is not allowed to use is commerical. to say an effect is commerical you need to test it in commerical venues for a long period of time. I'm sorry to say but Sankey forgot what real performing environment is - it's been a while for him. so if you like new cool tricks to do for your friends he is the man for you. but if you want something to work with in (I mean really work) I'd stayed away from his material. a solid routine is something that was tested and perfected again and again. Sankey would need more than 1000 lives to do that for every trick he put on the market.

Nimrod , Israel

p.s. I miss the old Sankeytized days. those were commercial tapes! (not even dvds).
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6999 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Have you seen Front Row Sankey? He's performing for real people in a real environment. And the stuff works.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
ruaturtle
View Profile
Regular user
Gastonia, NC
113 Posts

Profile of ruaturtle
I heard that people might be receiving dvd-r's (not necessarily from a reliable source - read as from someone's message board) Anyone who has bought able to refute/confirm this? It makes me wonder with the "troubles" that some people are having with the discs...
I have found that I do not suffer from insanity... instead I rather enjoy it! : )

Poodle... the other white meat.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 13:07, ruaturtle wrote:
I heard that people might be receiving dvd-r's (not necessarily from a reliable source - read as from someone's message board) Anyone who has bought able to refute/confirm this? It makes me wonder with the "troubles" that some people are having with the discs...

My Front Row Sankey DVD was a DVD-r which was a rip off. I don't blame Jay for that. I blame Penguin. If your going to sell a DVD-r at least tell us and sell it cheaper. Not the same price of a pressed DVD.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6999 Posts

My Front Row and Anytme Anywhere is a dvd-r. But I'm confused. Isn't that how they are being sold? Is someone else selling them as a pressed dvd?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 06:27, nimrod wrote:
p.s. I miss the old Sankeytized days. those were commercial tapes! (not even dvds).

Now they are on DVD through MYMagic!
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
How do you tell if it is dvd-r or dvd? Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
My "Front Row Sankey" was a DVD-R. I was annoyed it was not a pressed DVD.

DVD-R's have a non silver surface. Generally they will have a blue ting to them.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6999 Posts

But isn't that how they are manufactured? Why get mad at the shop? Why not write Sankey Magic about it?
millarhouse
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
199 Posts

Profile of millarhouse
I never got mad at the shop. They are after all just the retailers of the product.
Bill Abbott
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of Bill Abbott
An interesting topic.

My take on the subject is that if the information on the DVD is playable on your home player or PC with no problems (ie. freezing, skipping, etc.) and the quality is worthy of our 'digital age' than there is no viable reason, other than it is possible that you have bought a pirated disc, to return the disc.

I asked two duplicating companies that I have worked with in the past two years whether there was a difference between 'burned' & 'pressed' and both of them told me that the quality of a digital transfer between a 'pressed' DVD and a 'burned' DVD was the same. If this is true, than why the concern? Well, I agree that when I buy a DVD at my local retail shop and rip open the cellophane and look at the underside of the DVD and see all silver rather than blue/purple I know that some guy is not in his basement with his PC burning and ripping discs to make a buck. When people have a problem with a 'burned' disc not playing in a player, a lot has to do with the way that the disc has been 'formatted' in the editing process. My mac. for example, has a list of DVD players that any disc produced by iMovie or Final Cut pro will simply not play properly in. That being said, I have traveled back to my local video rental shop a handful of times with major Hollywood releases because they 'froze' or would not play properly in my machine. Their explanation, "We get several defective discs returned every week."

Someone mentioned that it costs less to burn discs than it does to have them pressed.
This is simply not the case. In fact it is the other way around if you look at price per unit. The only catch is that to get the costs of a 'pressed' disc down you must order a minimum of 500-1000 discs. For those that know about the magic market to sell even 500 DVDs of anything would constitute a best-seller. The market being what it is I have, in the past, had 250-300 discs 'burned' by a duplicator simply because it was all the distibutor ordered and all I could afford to have produced at the time. With other limited run discs a major DVD duplication house will refuse to duplicate less than 500 discs.

To the specific disc at hand, contact Sankey. Jay's a good guy and a great customer service oriented individual. Although he's busier than most human beings on the planet he always takes the time to look after people who buy his stuff.

jay@sankeymagic.com

Bill Abbott
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Jay Sankey Anytime Anywhere DVD (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.68 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL