We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cup and ball act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cupnovice
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of cupnovice
I just saw this guy do this really neat cup and ball trick. He was dressed up like a pirate and talked like they do in those Shakespear plays. He came out ringing a bell and saying stuff like he uses the nimbleness of his fingers and the slowness of your eyes to fool you.
He then made big balls appear under the cups and even lifted the bell and there was a big ball under that to.
Where would I go to find a routine like this? I really like the funny talk he did. Is it on a DVD or in a book? Has anyone else ever seen a guy use a bell in a cup and ball trick?
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
If you like the cups & balls, and want to perform it, then I suggest that you start at the beginning. I started with Mark Wilsons Complete Course in Magic book. I understand that "Now you See it, Now you Don't" also has a reasonable cups & Balls routine as well. The routine that you saw was personalized by the performer and is probably not documented exactly as you saw it in any book or video. If you work up your own cups & balls act, you will want to personalize it to your own self and make it unique.

Good luck on the journey,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
The Cups & Balls is a wonderful trick that is at least a few centuries old. And as you learned from watching your "pirate," it isn't just the trick, it's the presentation that makes the effect.

This trick is not self-working, and does require that you learn some sleight of hand. But the sleights aren't difficult to learn, and once you know them, you'll have a real fooler on your hands. You can buy a nice set of Bazar De Magia spun aluminum cups for about $25 for starters. See http://themagicwarehouse.com/closeup4.html#lo1216

You can also visit the "Ever So Sleightly" section of the Café', which has plenty of C/B workers. I'd also suggest that you get Michael Ammar's "The Cups & Balls," a book devoted entirely to this trick. See http://themagicwarehouse.com/booksge1.html#bk8031 If you learn better from DVD's, it's also available in that format. Good Luck and enjoy! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Boy-oh-boy you DO have a long road ahead of you. Then again, it's thrilling to learn cups and balls, filled with challenges, surprises, and victories.

Enjoy the trip.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I would recommend Michael Ammars book "The Complete Cups and Balls". What you have seen was a persoalized version of this century-old effect (and I would say that it is a very good idea to personalize it, because I have seen so many performers in Covent Garden in London doing acts right from the videos I know without changing even the pattern).

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1604 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
After you know all the basics of cups and balls, I strongly recommend you to take a look of Tommy Wonder's cups and balls found in his DVD.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Agreed with the above.After thinking you know all the moves in the cups and balls, along comes Tommy Wonder and makes you feel like a layman once more.He truly is the Master.
Andre
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cup and ball act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL