The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to make your hands look natural? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Hello, I've been thinking about this for quite some time now. I'm practising cheating sleights 8-9 months back and the only thing which I have not improved so far, is to make your hands look natural when palming a card. I know that you should try not to hold out for too long though. I can't say that it's too much fun to giving demonstrations to friends and relatives (which I'm practising on) when they always ask me why my hand look so weird. Do you have any advice on this except practising? (when I think about it, this is a kind of weird question...)

Kim
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
Not a wierd question at all and a good one to ask if you are having trouble. So for the sake of card magic and the premature exposure of future card palming, I offer this humble advice...

In my opinion, it is all attitude. Direct their attention elsewhere and find something natural for your hand to do. How would you stand (or sit) if you did not have a card palmed? Think about that and attempt top mimic it. Your aura is important too. By that I mean you are obviously guilty of your palmed card and your audience can sometimes sense this and the unconscious attention you give yourself (and your hand).

Lastly, you could always practice by having a card palmed for a s much of the day as practical. Watch your angles, keep it concealed, and just go about your daily business. Eventually, you will forget about the palm card and hopefully will stop telegraphing it.

Roberto Giobbi also has some great advice in his CARD COLLEGE series on the subtleties of holding palmed card, good luck!
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
With coins they say hold it in the palm all the time and go about your daily business until you forget it is even there. Try it with a card and I bet no notices it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Ã…land, Finland
621 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Thanks, I'll definately try that Smile. Btw, do either of you know a really good book on cheating sleights except erdnase as I've heard it is difficult to understand (and my mothertongue isn't even english). A book containing at least a couple of mucks, bottomdeals, 2nd deals, deckswitches, and the greek deal.

thanks for your replies.
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
When something looks unnatural, it's generally because there is too much tension in the hands, arms, shoulders, etc. One of the best ways to make things look natural is to remove as much tension as possible.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Look at the Ortiz material. Pay special attention to the "Gambler's Palm". There are several positions for the "Gamblers Palm", depending on where your hands are on the table, and what they need to do.

A "Flat Palm", with the card gripped between the thumb and the little finger, way back so that the fingers can be spread with the hand flat on the table, is excellent. I have held out like this with a cigarette between my first and second fingers of the palming hand all the way thru a deal and draw.

There is a way to "go out" with a card from a dealt hand. Most often it is used in conjunction with a holdout machine, or a beanshooter, or a shirt (again see Ortiz' "Gambling Scams".) It is called a "machine break", a way to break off a card from the hand you are holding and get it into a "Gambler's Palm". Look at Erdnase' "Skinning the Hand" for other info.

A "Gambler's Cop" can be useful with attention to angles. Not so good for holding out for any time, but good for magic, where you are not as restricted as you are at the table.

There is a way to hold out at the table with the card held in a thumb palm only, the table acting as the anchor for the card on the other side. You must slide the hand across the table when using this holdout. It is good for going out with a card and bringing it back into a hand that has been dealt to you. You slide the thumb-palmed card under the hand and add it as you pick the hand up. Lots of ways to "act naturally" with cards held out...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Please tell us the context in which you are having problems...

Paul's advise is very good. To it I can only add that you shouldn't be afraid to warp the card. Many folks palm as if they though the card is made of sheet metal!

For conjuring purposes, there are some very good tricks that will help you get "into" palming under fire, and develop your confidence.

Paul Harris' "Reflex" and "The Homing Card" from Stars Of Magic are two fairly safe ways in which to palm as the card is only held out for a moment and the routines are constructed to keep the heat to a minimum.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
If your thinking of palming cards at the card table, I would like to warn you that it is the most dangerous move I can think of.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
First of all, have that sixth finger removed. It can be distracting!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
I agree with the recommendation to check out Giobbi's information in Card College. There are some subtleties there that will really help. Also check out the Ascanio book.
Sonicstabber
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of Sonicstabber
How are you holding your hand? is your thumb straight out?

Take the event of which you are actually palming the card, say for example, before a cut and handing the deck to someone to cut. Is it a top or bottom palm? What are the hands doing? should they be "killed" or left out, to be more open?

We need a bit more info to be able to tell you how to be more natural, such as when you are doing the palm, from where, why etc.

If you yourself can figure out the exact time and place of which the palming will take place, let your hands go naturally into any position. Don't force it. This is the natural position for you, you need to adapt the palm to that positioning so it's flawless and deceptive. PM me if you like, or add me on MSN. Cheers

Eddie
Andrei
View Profile
Veteran user
Romania
353 Posts

Profile of Andrei
Be natural and improvise. Don't be tied up by the rigors of what constitutes the classical view on what palming should be/look like.

Andrei
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
The best way to make the hands look natural in magic whether with cards or coins is to study the relaxed position of your hand. Once you have a clear understanding of the natural curves of your hands , you can now see if you can conceal an item in it.

It has been mentioned above , but allow me to re stress the knowledge in angling that you could learn from Giobbi.

Misdirection is still key and we have to do away with the "guilt" feeling.

Motivation for having this or that hand in this or that position is also vital. The choreography of the routine helps shade even a lousy palm. It has been documented that Malini had small hands, yet he became one of the best.

Good luck!

Rannie
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
MagicKim,

While we obviously can't stress GIobbi's books enough, another excellent resource (that's cheap and easy to find) for what you are looking for can be found in Arthur Buckley's classic CARD CONTROL.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
ian lea
View Profile
New user
south of the moon
8 Posts

Profile of ian lea
I would suggest holding something else in the hand that is doing the palmimg, for example a pen, or if it's a gambling demonstration maybe there are poker chips or something, but doing these things would have to be worked in to the routine. But also do things like moving or holding the chips, when you don't have a card palmed.

Also use the hand that is plaming, don't freeze in one position the entire time the card is plamed, scratch your nose, straighten your sleeve. However don't over use the hand and do too much with it.

hope there's something useful in there.

Ian.
Carpe Diem
Craig Peterson
View Profile
New user
Utah
89 Posts

Profile of Craig Peterson
This may be taboo in a card forum, but my suggestion for learning to palm a card well is the cups and balls. The reason most people look unnatural when they are palming cards is that they think people must be aware of them and are afraid of getting caught. That is a natural feeling when you are holding out.
Cups and balls involves getting a final load under a cup which is seemingly impossible (even to the novice magician). That is why the final load is so effective. Once you have succesfully pulled off the cups and balls, holding almost anything else palmed will seem like getting off easy. You will have gained confidence in your ability and learned how misdirection can keep the area of primary focus away from the area of method.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » How to make your hands look natural? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL