The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Help Creating a "Postal" themed act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cfleming
View Profile
New user
Chris Fleming Long Beach, Ca.
81 Posts

Profile of cfleming
Hey all,
I work for the U.S. Postal service as a letter carrier. I am in the early stages of developing a stage act using a "Postal" theme. Some thoughts I'm working on are,
T&R newspaper, 3 fly with stamps, Cards across using post cards, and something with Strat-O-Sphere, not sure yet.
Would really appreciate some ideas using postal items, Mailboxes, letters, Stamps, packages etc..

Please no "Going postal" jokes!

Thanks.
I don't have a solution, but I admire the problem.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Things with stamps travel, and the stamps get cancelled? There is a very nice short story about someone who gets stamps from some magical far away country.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
The zombie floating parcel? Should be possible with the normal Z G......k and lightweight parcel.

Or die box routine with double "mail box" and "parcel".

Both of above are good for stage. I'm not sure how well normal size stamps would come across for stage work. A bit too small and fiddly to see?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Magic Coloring Book used to have a Stamp Collector's book counterpart. You would show a blank scrapbook and an envelope of assorted stamps, then the stamps would disappear and reappear pasted in place inside the scrapbook. I haven't seen it lately, but it is something you could easily make. Because of the quantity of the stamps involved, this does work for the stage.

The Wizards' Journal #3 has a nice effect called "Letter From Home" which involves an unopened letter dating from the American Civil War that contains a prediction for the present day. It comes with Civil War stamp & antique envelope facsimilies for that authentic look.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Some of the display material available at the Post Office would lend itself to adaptation. You could get some of those large pictures of stamps and do a version of the McCombical deck with them, for example.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Postal Order to Lemon or other impossible location Smile

Ammar has some good material on switches and the use of monkey nuts in his money magic vids. Money would be quite appropriate or a postal theme as it's used a lot at post offices. Marked coin to sealed envelope in jiffy bag in nesting postal boxes in the middle of a bubble wrapped parcel would be another effect.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You could also do a joke about "going civilian."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cfleming
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of cfleming
Thanks guys, love the ideas! Great idea, Bill on "Going Civilian" I'll defenitly persue that as well as all the other ideas. Keep em coming..
Thanks,
Chris
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Stage you say?
Maybe something with big 'Gozinta Boxes'.

Let's see....
Mail Carriers have an age old and ongoing relationship with dogs.
Dog leash, chain, bone, a juicy steak,,,,nope, nothing yet. Grrrr.
cfleming
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of cfleming
Wow! Great ideas! Thanks for the feedback! Thinking of using my mailbag to work out of and implementing all these great ideas. Thanks, Jaz for the dog ideas never thought of that aspect. Again, thanks for coming through.

Chris...
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
Mail bag escape perhaps. Sub-Trunk painted as a large package.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
pikacrd
View Profile
Veteran user
Florida
387 Posts

Profile of pikacrd
A prediction effect where the prediction was mailed to someone, you could play on the fact that the postal security and Postmaster General have had it in there possession so you know that it has not been tampered with.
“Indubitably, Magic is one of the subtlest and most difficult of the sciences and arts. There is more opportunity for errors of comprehension, judgment and practice than in any other branch of physics”. William S. Burroughs 1914-1997 American Writer
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you absolutely MUST use the Strat-o-spheres, here is a suggestion. Repaint "The box" so that it has the USPS logo on it. Make it into a special "Super Express Mail" device. You might want to repaint the tube as well. I think you get the drift, though.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Have you noticed the nice teddy bears they sell? Think Ted Lesley and go for it!

How about the boxes and envelopes. Much to think about there.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
adzimme
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of adzimme
The postal version of the coloring book is detailed in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. It actually involves more than just the book. Not a bad idea for your theme.

Alan
pasharabbit
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of pasharabbit
Somewhat dangerious but appriopriate for a Post Office routine you could do the bullet catch in the teeth routine. You borrow a gun from a member of the audience... Making things disappear would be pretty good too since we all know mail gets lost.
pasharabbit
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of pasharabbit
On a more positive note a simple 3 cup monte trick would be pretty easy to adopt to a postal theme. Use packages instead of cups. You could gussy it up with the appropriate postal humor. Another idea is doing a mentalist routine where you read the illegible address on the envelope. You can poke a bit of good natured fun at the customers whose handwriting or addresses verge on the ridiculious. By the way I think the U.S. Postal service is first rate. If only the P.O. would lose some of my bills, those things never get lost!
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
How about something with a nest of boxes? Or something that got lost and was found inside the nest? Or something with a damaged parcel?

Many many years ago my Mom worked for the PO. In the postal worker's magazine there was a cartoon of a guy in a sorting room staring at a package. The thing was a cone about three feet high... standing and balanced on its point. I asked for and received permission to send the cartoon to the Linking Ring, and they published it.

Been wondering about that package ever since.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Eric Rose
View Profile
Regular user
Franklin, IN
160 Posts

Profile of Eric Rose
LePaul's Card to envelope, Dingle's Cards Across in Envelopes, zip code memory act, victory carton illusion, inexaustable box to illustrate getting the most in a package...

so many to choose from, so little time.
cfleming
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of cfleming
Wow! Fantastic ideas! Plenty to keep me busy for awhile. Thanks.

--Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Help Creating a "Postal" themed act (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL