The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Richard Turner is unbelievable... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andrei
View Profile
Veteran user
Romania
353 Posts

Profile of Andrei
What about Rene Lavand?

Andrei
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
What about Rene Lavand??
tjo'
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
888 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Quote:
On 2005-08-30 15:36, MindPhantom wrote:
I just got The Cheat dvd's yesterday. This guy's skill level is amazing and he's blind. I was just wondering is he still performing or if he's retired. I did a few searches and couldn't find anything.

Just curious..

Rick

Agreed! His skill is amazing and he's one of the best card cheats in the world! Like Dai Vernon said on the tape, Richard Turner can do things nobody else can do with cards. And it's true coming from a legend! He still performs. And like it's said at one of the posts here, I too attended and enjoyed his lectures. He's a very informative, highly skilled card shark who can hustle you whenever he feels like it, but of course he won't do it. Note that his DVDs are for learning/observing only. They're not training tapes. You'll get the moves down only if you watch the moves constantly in slow motion. You need to have a little knowledge about card cheating when you get the DVDs. You should know how to do a second deal already, and then learn his method. His skills will truly be remembered forever, and he's one of the few card cheats who really inspired me.
All the best,

Michael
Andrei
View Profile
Veteran user
Romania
353 Posts

Profile of Andrei
T. Joseph O'Malley: Tommy said "Richard Turner and René Lavand should be given some sort medal of honour for the odds they have overcome."
If eyesight is Richard Turner's problem, I was wondering what Lavand's difficulty was, because I haven't a clue.

Andrei
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
OK gotcha - he cannot use his right arm at all - part of it simply may not be there, I believe. He was badly injured in a car accident when he was young boy. In other words, he performs his magic completely one handed - mostly cards.

He's pretty spectacular to watch on dvd - I can only imagine how great he is in real life. His character is sooooo strong on the dvds I've seen, he come across as a powerful person, with a touch of whimsy and humour. Very poetic.

I highly recommend checking out his books and videos.
tjo'
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
For an idea on what René Lavand's handicap is read this:

"René Lavand is without equal in his chosen field. He has held audiences around the world spellbound with his poetic and emotional style of presentation. Thirty years ago René Lavand, "the one-armed magician from Argentina," created a sensation on The Ed Sullivan Show. Since then he has devoted his life to refining and performing his own brand of close-up magic. Luminaries such as Dai Vernon, Slydini, Juan Tamariz and Ascanio have referred to him as one of magic's great treasures and an artist of the highest degree."

Quote:
On 2005-08-31 00:49, rannie wrote:
I would have to add Sal Piacente in the list too.

Rannie

Rannie,

Does Sal Piacente have a handicap too?
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4355 Posts

Profile of rannie
Not at all. I was talking about gambling technique experts.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1691 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Sal's handicap is mental. Shhhhhh...he doesn't know.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16237 Posts

Profile of tommy
Hope you can run Jason or you will be next on the list if he catches you.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ImpromptuBoy
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
888 Posts

Profile of ImpromptuBoy
Quote:
On 2005-08-31 23:53, tommy wrote:
Hope you can run Jason or you will be next on the list if he catches you.

Great advice Tommy!
J3
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
165 Posts

Profile of J3
I learned the one handed strip out from richards dvd, an amazingly useful and deceptive move. And the fact that he can do it with each hand smoothly and under fire just shows the kind of performer he is.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16237 Posts

Profile of tommy
Can you imagine if: All these guys were unknown to you. They are sitting playing poker. There is a spare seat and you decide to join the game and cheat. Is this seat spare gentlemen you ask, Yes certainly please pull up a chair and join us. Let me introduce you to the boys. My name is Paul Choose, this is Darwin, Richard, Steve, Sal, Swainy, Herbe, Doc and Rene, and you are? Ok it’s your deal Richard says Herbe and shakily pushes deck in front him, Richard gropes about looking for the cards and says can you just tell me where the cards are . You think to yourself this is going be to easy. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Just play straight up and tight, don't use Richard's deck, keep your eye on Paul's right hand, Darwin's left hand, both of Steve's hands, triple cut off of Jim's shuffle, strip it off of Sal's, don't let Herb shuffle on the table, don't let Doc take the deck off the table and if Rene's starts moving really, really slow, get up and leave.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
RMoreland
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
174 Posts

Profile of RMoreland
Great Responce RawDawg. Great responce.

Later Tater,

Robert Moreland
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Good stuff Tommy and Rawdawg!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1939 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Hats off to you two!!
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Richard Turner is unbelievable... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL