The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Performing in Disneyworld (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
While I haven't had the nerve to put together a true "street" act. I did have some experience recently that would fit in here.

We went to Disneyworld last week. Moments of absolute joy and moments of abject terror! (I don't have a lot of experience driving and tried to spell my wife on the minivan at exactly the time we had a lot of aggressive drivers and three semi's boxed me in on I-95 north!)

But! While I was on line at "Peter Pan's Flight," I saw a couple of kids getting antsy. Pulled out the deck of cards and did card flourishes and color changes for them! (The deck was later accidently washed when I forgot to take them out of the shorts I'd been wearing that day! A moment of silence.)

A few days later, we were waiting for Aladdin and Jasmine to come out and sign autographs/pose for pictures. The little girl in front of me was getting jumpy and I could see her parents were getting agitated so I looked over at her and said; "I see why you're so jumpy!" Pulled a sponge ball out of her ear. "I'd be jumpy too if I had one of these stuck in there." Did a few minutes of Mark Wilson's routine from "Encyclopedia of Magic" didn't finish, because it was getting too close to time!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
funny_gecko
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of funny_gecko
Beautiful sponge ball act and patter I love it! disney land is the land of magic!!! great job man!

I feel so sorry for your loss of cards I know how it is... I suggest you buy them a 60 000 dollar coffin and tombstone.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
I feel for your cards. I was doing some card stuff in july for some of the wrestlers I work with and the promoter knocked his drink over and soaked my cards with coke.
jfkkraemer
View Profile
Elite user
SoCal
481 Posts

Profile of jfkkraemer
Awesome chance, Disneyland is truly a great place magic. I live 10mins away and have a season pass, anytime I'm thier I always bring cards or a pocketful of change. You just have to love the lineups. Neve thought I would say that.

Jeff
Xiero
View Profile
New user
Michigan
70 Posts

Profile of Xiero
Poor cards! I picked up a set of plastic bikes for those risky situations. 4 dollars, available at most Target stores in the US Smile. The only thing is, they are clear plastic where there'd normally be white on a regular card.

Eric
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-08-31 17:01, funny_gecko wrote:
Beautiful sponge ball act and patter I love it! disney land is the land of magic!!! great job man!

I feel so sorry for your loss of cards I know how it is... I suggest you buy them a 60 000 dollar coffin and tombstone.

Actually, I was thinking of having them buried at the Haunted Mansion. Maybe they'd show up in the ride! Smile

Posted: Sep 1, 2005 11:06pm
-----------------------------------------------
Quote:
On 2005-08-31 17:13, jfkkraemer wrote:
Awesome chance, Disneyland is truly a great place magic. I live 10mins away and have a season pass, anytime I'm thier I always bring cards or a pocketful of change. You just have to love the lineups. Neve thought I would say that.

Jeff

Small thing. It was DisneyWORLD, not LAND. I'm on the Right Coast and getting over to the Left Coast is a little too involved for me!

I was sorry I didn't get to Downtown Disney because I understand there's a magic shop on the West Side. Maybe next visit!

Posted: Sep 1, 2005 11:08pm
Quote:
On 2005-09-01 10:15, Xiero wrote:
Poor cards! I picked up a set of plastic bikes for those risky situations. 4 dollars, available at most Target stores in the US Smile. The only thing is, they are clear plastic where there'd normally be white on a regular card.

Eric

They had clear cards for sale in one of the souvenier shops in Disneyworld! The Ace of Spades had a Disney character (I can't remember if it was Mickey or Goofy, it was a chaotic spot in the day) on the front. Didn't have enough to pick it up though ($1.50 for a soda and I've got six people to help take care of... had to save whereever I could!)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What more appropriate place for magic than DisneyWorld!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dusty the magic clown
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Dusty the magic clown
I did an internship at Disneyworld for 5 1/2 months and on my time off I would go to the parks (Yes for Free) and wait in line and perform there the kids and parents were almost always grateful a few were rude but the parents usually straightened them out. One time a parent figured out the trick and told her son so I let her have it I told her that I was doing this for free that I was not being paid, and that if they went to a show it would have cost $ to see that performed. I enjoyed it and the magic shop in Downtown Disney is overpriced crap I bought some of their effects and they are for tourists lookiong to know the secrets of magic.

Posted: Sep 8, 2005 3:52pm
I am glad that I was able to perform at Disney World and wish that I could do it again maybe someday of course I can't get in for free anymore.
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
The place at downtown disney, (wont say name) Is really, really overpriced! I got a few things there and spent 100 bucks!!! But, its just for tourists who couldn't care less about performing, they just want the secrets, so they can go around telling everyone. Being a magician is tough. LOL!!!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 17:46, themagicman101 wrote:
The place at downtown disney, (wont say name) Is really, really overpriced! I got a few things there and spent 100 bucks!!! But, its just for tourists who couldn't care less about performing, they just want the secrets, so they can go around telling everyone. Being a magician is tough. LOL!!!

I'll keep that in mind. I honestly had no intention of buying much there. I just wanted to go and play!

There used to be a magic shop in Main Street that wasn't worth going to. It was a narrow space between two other shops and people kept bumping into me as I was trying to look at the counter! It also seemed to me that the Main Street shop had mostly "club" and/or "stage" effects as opposed to close up. I wasn't going to pay "Disney" prices for stuff I could get better in other places!

Now, Fantasyland also used to have a magic shop. It's shop was in the corner of a building so the "doll and T-shirt" crowd was behind me and I could ignore them. I bought a set of "Flipped Out Fours" and the "Siberian Chain Escape" that I used for years! Probably still overpriced, but I didn't mind so much!

Both shops are gone now... a moment of silence!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
The shop on Main street was called "The house of magic". There was a little animatronic of Mickey doing a cups & balls routine in the shop's center. It was loaded with cheap little Adams effects (Imp-bottle, 2-headed coin, squirting coin) and a great many Tenyo magic sets (6 different levels). The reason it stands out so firm in my memory, is because that's where the magician in me was born. I was 15, and working a Summer job at the parks. I walked into the shop, and came out 1 paycheck poorer, and armed to the teeth with effects, including a pretty good set & video by Steve Dacri. Over the following weeks I became a source of never-ending amusement & annoyance to all my co-workers. Coolest thing that happened in that shop was....I had just bought a 'silk-to-egg' trick, and as soon as I was out of the shop I began tearing it open. After reagrding the silk a momment, a security guard who had seen me open the box said "Okay, now let's see you do the trick!" I had a TT on me, so, I proceeded to stuff the silk into my fist, while saying "And now this silk will become...an egg!!" Whereupon I opened my now empty hand, looked puzzeled, and said "Darn-it....I guess I should've read the instructions!" The security guard's mouth & eyes were about as open as they could get.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-10-10 18:11, The Mighty Fool wrote:
The shop on Main street was called "The house of magic". There was a little animatronic of Mickey doing a cups & balls routine in the shop's center.

They must have changed it because I saw the animatronic Mickey doing cups and balls, but it was in the Fantasyland shop.

Quote:
It was loaded with cheap little Adams effects (Imp-bottle, 2-headed coin, squirting coin) and a great many Tenyo magic sets (6 different levels). The reason it stands out so firm in my memory, is because that's where the magician in me was born. I was 15, and working a Summer job at the parks. I walked into the shop, and came out 1 paycheck poorer, and armed to the teeth with effects, including a pretty good set & video by Steve Dacri. Over the following weeks I became a source of never-ending amusement & annoyance to all my co-workers. Coolest thing that happened in that shop was....I had just bought a 'silk-to-egg' trick, and as soon as I was out of the shop I began tearing it open. After reagrding the silk a momment, a security guard who had seen me open the box said "Okay, now let's see you do the trick!" I had a TT on me, so, I proceeded to stuff the silk into my fist, while saying "And now this silk will become...an egg!!" Whereupon I opened my now empty hand, looked puzzeled, and said "Darn-it....I guess I should've read the instructions!" The security guard's mouth & eyes were about as open as they could get.

Lover-ly!
phaddad2
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of phaddad2
The stuff at the Disney shop may not be crap but it is definetly over-priced.
Pete
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-10-13 08:34, phaddad2 wrote:
The stuff at the Disney shop may not be crap but it is definetly over-priced.
Pete

Apparently, it's supposed to be a "class" operation. Mahogony walls, lined with books and portraits of famous magicians. That, and the Disney lease, have to be expensive to keep up. It's sounds rather intimadating to me, but I'm going in 2007!
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Just for the record, I LOVE performing Magic at Disneyland...albeit in an unofficial capacity Smile

Curiously, few people believe that one can actually 'get away' with this kind of thing (especially after the experience Jim Hill had at the Park -- Google it, you'll get the picture). I used to do shows with a friend of mine at Disneyland with SECURITY GUARDS watching the performances!

I cannot wait for 19 April 2006!

Leland
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-10-15 14:06, Leland Stone wrote:
Just for the record, I LOVE performing Magic at Disneyland...albeit in an unofficial capacity Smile

Curiously, few people believe that one can actually 'get away' with this kind of thing (especially after the experience Jim Hill had at the Park -- Google it, you'll get the picture). I used to do shows with a friend of mine at Disneyland with SECURITY GUARDS watching the performances!

I cannot wait for 19 April 2006!

Leland

I did a google for "Jim Hill" and "Disney" and found tons of stuff he'd posted, but nothing specifically about performing magic.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hiya, Mandrake:

Sorry about the lack of clarity -- I was too oblique in referring to "unofficial capacity" and implied Jim does Magic. To my knowledge, he does not; he's a journalist I've only read about who used to conduct private tours of Disneyland. We both enjoy the Park in a slightly unorthodox way, and that's why I mentioned him.

Jim Hill and I perform our respective activities in an "unofficial capacity," that is, neither affiliated with nor sanctioned by Disneyland. I should say that Jim 'once did'; his tours got him booted from the Park.

Leland
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2005-10-19 10:08, Leland Stone wrote:
Hiya, Mandrake:

Sorry about the lack of clarity -- I was too oblique in referring to "unofficial capacity" and implied Jim does Magic. To my knowledge, he does not; he's a journalist I've only read about who used to conduct private tours of Disneyland. We both enjoy the Park in a slightly unorthodox way, and that's why I mentioned him.

Jim Hill and I perform our respective activities in an "unofficial capacity," that is, neither affiliated with nor sanctioned by Disneyland. I should say that Jim 'once did'; his tours got him booted from the Park.

Leland

Well, the park is private property. If they don't like what you're doing, whether it's lawful or not, they have the right to restrict you.

I saw a guy once who got stopped at the entrance because he was wearing a shirt that said; "I'm so happy here, I could just *#(@" (Censorship mine.) He started making a fuss about his First Admenment rights, but he didn't get in.

Times may have changed from when Davy Jones of the Monkees couldn't get in because his hair was too long, but Disney still controls the environment!
I will say however, that he was a good writer and what he had to say about Disney and some of its guests was fascinating.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Performing in Disneyworld (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL