The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Teaching the Professors Nightmare (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
In recent times, during the magic classes I teach, the students have wanted to learn the Professors Nightmare. To figure out how I would teach it, I tried teaching it to just one of the kids to see the best way to do it. We worked at it for a while and he eventually got it. The hardest part of teaching (really the only hard part) was to teach the switch with the long and short rope. He never learned how to do it in one hand. We tried using the other hand to switch the ends and several other things, but he never could get the hang of it. I tried this with another student and got the same thing.

So.....

How would you guys recommend teaching the switch? These kids are 7 and 8 yrs old.

THANKS!

Derek Merdinyan
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't. Just have them count 1-2-3 equal pieces from the dangling bottoms. After awhile when they get better at handling objects... then you might try again.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I don't think this is an appropriate trick to teach to children of this age group. 7 and 8 may be a little young for this trick. A few who are more advanced in their thinking and hand/eye coordination might eventually get it, but at that age you should be teaching more self-working tricks better suited to the age level.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Pete-
I am not discussing the end move where they count 3 equal ropes, I am talkin about the very first move when you put the long and short rope together and you _________ while you add the medium sized rope.

Derek Merdinyan
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Derek,

Take a step backward and simplify your teaching. Teach the standard C&R trick. It creates the long and short ropes. Get the students comfortable with handling those two pieces alone before introducing a third rope.

I think that it is a GOOD idea to teach some basic sleight of hand, even at age 7. The problem with Professor's Nightmare is that it is relatively complex. It is like trying to teach them Ambidextrous Travelers before they know how to hold a deck in mechanics grip.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
HOw many students in your classes and how often do you teach classes (groups)?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Another thought... this is a marketed trick and you are now teaching our audiences how our tricks, that we pay for the rights to use, are done.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Derek:

It sounds like you're teaching the Karrell Fox move, which would be extremely hard (if not nearly impossible) for a seven year old. The standard handling is much easier - all three ropes are held in one hand, the bottom ends are brought up so that all six ends are at the fingertips. Then, the other hand takes away three ends and does the stretching. This eliminates any hard moves like the one required for the KF switch.

One more thought...I'm pretty sure that the workings of PF is in a couple (or more) of the PUBLIC magic books like the Mark Wilson Course (available at my local Costco). Isn't PF also in one of the idiots/dummies books and the Fulves' books? If that is the case, I would have no problem teaching PF to a class.

Ron
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

I have that book and teach a lot from it to the class. I will take a look at that, thanks! It has been so long since I have done it the old way, I will have to look into that!

Derek Merdinyan
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
I agree Wit you Pete if he is eaching it to the general Public But if it is a magic group of Young Magicians I don't think it is a problem to try and teach these young kids a few tricks to perform. However I don't think it would be this one I would teach them. There is a lot of other tricks more there age level.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Years ago Bob Elliot showed me a great handling for Prof. Nightmare. It is fast.
But I have to agree with Mr. Haydn, that age is a little young to handle the ropes.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Funny what motivates kids sometimes.....

I have been teaching my seven year old magic since the beginning of the summer. We recently started to dive into studying rope magic. We recently went to the local area meeting of magi, and while at the meeting, Dan Tong gave my son a set of ropes to perform the Nightmare routine. My son was real excited (both in meeting Dan, and also getting a new trick!), so we took them home and began to practice. He was not having the best of luck, and was geting abit discouraged. I got a brainstorm, however, and decided to cut him three pieces of bright RED Uday rope. Funny how kids respond to different stimuli. He is now performing the trick with no problem ! When I asked him why the red rope seemed to work better, he reminded me that at a recent Aldo Colombini lecture we attended, Aldo stated "You should use colored rope for magic, as it just looks more magical to the audience", Seven year old translation : the red rope is MAGIC rope !!!

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Teaching the Professors Nightmare (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL