The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic life (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
robertk4you
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of robertk4you
Hi all. I am currently studying magic, reading magic books and watching magic shows. I always wanted to be magician. For me, it is something cool. There is one problem. I have group of friends and we enjoy going to nightclubs; drink beers. They don't know about my plans. It's hard for me to become magician, knowing that I have group of friends and where ever they go, I go. And this is why, I need to ask this question.

How is your private life? Are you practising magic tricks the whole day? Do you perform magic shows everyday? And this is probably the answer I really want to know. Do magicians like David Copperfield, Lance Burton or the Pendragons, go to nightclubs, drink beers, or smoke cigarettes in their free time? I read in some books about different forms of meditations and they say that alcohol and tobacco is forbidden. Thanks for any replies.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Really??i never heard of that alchohol and tabacco is forbidden..i think magic is about your skill and how much you practice..no matter what you do the more you practice the closer you become a magician..i don't think tabacco and alchohol and clubbing will be a barrier.maybe your friends could take away your practicing time..probably that's about it!
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I made most of my university money from working at clubs and pubs doing magic while drinking beer. There is absolutely no prohibition on any of these. Just take note here I never got slashed and then tried to perform. OK I did once and learned my lesson. Do not do it. You can have a beer or maybe a shot of tequila but one is enough. Then hang out with the audience and have a good time after your show. If they want to see more magic ask them to come back for your next show and tell them you will show them something special or whatever. That is your job if a club hires you. Entertain people and get them to come back again and again. If they insist show them something that doesn't require much skill or preparation or do some imprompto comedy stuff.
robertk4you
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of robertk4you
So,you think david Copperfield or lance Burton are drinking and smoking as well?
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
OK, Robert, I'm proceeding on the assumption that you really are sincere in your question.

First I'm not friends with Mr. Copperfield or Mr. Burton so I can't answer your specific question about them and, to tell you the truth, wouldn't answer it if I knew. What they do in their spare time is their business.

However....

I have many friends that are magicians, some are quite famous, that smoke and drink both. What you do with your time is your choice.

I have two answers for you. You won't be able to perform drunk. It just won't work. Magic requires too much skill. The more you have been drinking the less you can perform.

Secondly, the more you go out drinking and NOT practicing the longer it will take for you to achieve your magical goals. It's not a bad thing to have a life. You just examine your priorities and act accordingly.

Having friends is important too.
robertk4you
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of robertk4you
I heard that top magicians or illusionists in the world,are usually spirital people,who meditate everyday,dont eat meal,dont drink or smoke,so their spirital body,will be in good motion,and they can use their abilities.I don't know,if what Copperfield or blaine does is real magic or not,but some of the staff the do,is not mention here,or even techniques,close to what they do.I have seen some techniques for levitation in here,but this is nothing close to what david blaine does.And this is why I think they are spiritual people,who have different life,then we do.And this is why I just want to know,if they smoke or drink,because this is what I like to do in my free time,and at the same time,trying to be,as good as them,and avoid drinking or smoking.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Robert, at the risk of wasting my time I'm going to try to explain something for you. The magicians here are entertainers. There may be mystics among us. I know that there is at least one priest (who makes GREAT felt balls).

How to say this? Robert, what you are describing are mystics, not magicians. Magic, as it is used in this forum, is a set of skills, millinea old, that have nothing to do with the supernatural. It is simply skills that are learned and practiced and are as natural as riding a bicycle. They are learned, not 'attained' and enlightenment is not a requirement.

I will also tell you that you are wrong about David Blaine. As far as I know he is not a mystic (I've read his book). The levitation that he did on his TV Specials is in fact discussed here. Many of us can do it.

What I am talking about, Robert, is entertainment. We are entertainers, whatever else we might be. While not drinking and smoking and living a life of faith and good will are laudable things, they have nothing to do with what we address on this site.

Am I making myself clear? I don't mean to disparage in any way your or anyone else's personal beliefs. I don't mean to trivialize them or judge them in any way. What I am telling you is that it seems to me that you are seeking something that may not be here. You might just be looking to buy a tractor in at a grocery store. There's nothing wrong with groceries, there's nothing wrong with tractors, and most farmers eat groceries, but you don't get them both in the same place.

Now, if you have some questions about magic ---- we are all ears.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Years ago I was a nightly party animal.
When I got older I realized that either I high or sobering up and never really focusing on what was important in life, never really clear headed.
The name of the party game is moderation.

Most newer magicians, and older ones, spend a lot of time exploring new sleights and routines but when they find their 'act', practices become rehearsals and tend to take less time.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Presentation is the name of the game. Like Mr Tex Austin just said. There is no real magic regardless of what you are let to believe by great performers. If you can find a persona that works for you then great. The whole mystic thing works for some but it doesn't for me so I do the go to the pub have a few drinks (which I don't do before performing but people think I do) and then entertain. After the show some people say that was amazing. Your card handling after a few beers .... I don't want to see you do that sober! The point is that me appearing to get lashed is on the same level as Blaine appearing to have real powers. He doesn't. Presentation is the name of the game.
robertk4you
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of robertk4you
Ok,i understand,what you tell me me..iti s different kind of magic,but how can you be sure if mr Copperfield or criss angel or blaine are mystics or not.Of course they do close up magic,and I know how its done,but when I see mr Copperfield cutting himself in half without any box,,then it is real magic.When I saw tv series about mask magician,he actually showed how it is done.The wholy body was in 1 half,while other was empty.He didint cut her in half without box,but Copperfield did.Mr blaine make his heart pulse stop for few seconds on carson daly 3 years ago,then took out his heart.There is something partly supernatural,or maybe natural but looks supernatural,when I watch all this top illusionists.Some staff tehy do,is not mention in here.And of course you cant buy this tricks or big illusions in any magic shop.I do know how to become real magician,and I really want to,but problem is that I will have to completly stop smoking and drinking.its hard.. peace
Foucault
View Profile
Elite user
New Jersey, USA
424 Posts

Profile of Foucault
When you see Angel, Blaine or Copperfield (hey, that's ABC!) perform, you're seeing magic tricks, not anything supernatural. You can buy much of the magic that magicians like these perform. Being able to present these effects in a way that makes them look like real magic to you takes a lot of work and dedication.

For me, magic is a hobby, a really enjoyable one, but one that does require me to spend time studying and practicing. I have a job, I have a family, I have other hobbies, and yes, I like to go out for a drink. I used to spend a lot of time in nightclubs, but now I usually go out once a week to my local Irish bar for a few pints of Guinness, a whiskey or two and some laughs with my friends there. I haven't performed magic there, and if I did, I wouldn't drink before I performed (drinking before performance only makes you THINK that you perform better, when more often than not you perform worse).

My main point here though, is that because I have a life, I can't devote hours of time a day to magic. If I wanted to turn professional, I'd probably have to rethink my priorities. But at the moment, I take the opportunity to practice whenever I get a little chunk of time available during the day, several times a day.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Hm, I practice most of the day, and in the evening I have shows. There are days where I don´t sleep because I am too busy...... Life? What Life?

;-)

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Personally, I practice a lot, and avoid the alcohol and tobacco. It keeps my mind in a more clear state to work on the magic, but I can't speak for Copperfield or Blaine or Burton.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
deerbourne
View Profile
Regular user
Centennial, CO
174 Posts

Profile of deerbourne
Quote:
Ok,i understand,what you tell me me..iti s different kind of magic,but how can you be sure if mr Copperfield or criss angel or blaine are mystics or not.

They are not mystics, just dedicated performers. You need to decide if you want to be a magician or a household name. Blaine, Copperfield, Burton and Angel are household names. In a small way they have transcended magic to become celebrities. That's not what is being discussed here. Sure some people here might dream of having their own Vegas show or a national TV show but that isn't generally their #1 goal. We're all trying to be entertainers. It isn't so much about the magic but about how people feel when they walk away. Were they entertained? Will they remember your performance as something special?

Quote:
Of course they do close up magic,and I know how its done,but when I see mr Copperfield cutting himself in half without any box,,then it is real magic.

Yes, real STAGE magic. If you get a chance watch the Criss Angel series. Standing along side Criss is a man named Johnny Thompson (The Great Thomsoni). Johnny is a creater of illusions and a lot of the big names (Burton and Angel specifically) will tell you that they wouldn't be where they are today without his help.

Quote:
When I saw tv series about mask magician,he actually showed how it is done.The wholy body was in 1 half,while other was empty.He didint cut her in half without box,but Copperfield did.Mr blaine make his heart pulse stop for few seconds on carson daly 3 years ago,then took out his heart.There is something partly supernatural,or maybe natural but looks supernatural,when I watch all this top illusionists.

That man (I hesitate to call him a magician) used techniques that were out of date. Modern illusions get better and better as each top magician tries to out do what they did before. As far as true powers, the only person I know that is claiming their parlor tricks are supernatural is Uri Gellar and nearly all of the magicians doing silverware bending or remote viewing are ten times better than him.

Quote:
I do know how to become real magician,and I really want to,but problem is that I will have to completly stop smoking and drinking.its hard.. peace

You don't have to give up smoking or drinking to be a magician. The big guys (The Household Names) may say they have but that is because they have dedicated everything to being the best magicians they can be. They keep insane schedules and those substances can drag you down or even help illnesses take hold (which would force shows to be cancelled). Doing magic takes some dedication but it does not involve sacrificing family, friends or a couple of habits that a lot of magicians already have. Heck, you can do magic with cigarettes or even drinking related effects.

Chris
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Well, I did give up cigarettes, but that's because I got tired of being a STANKY old man.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Robert, I know how hard it is to hear this it was for me too when I was young. Ok younger I am still young. (30 next year) The guys are not real mystics it is just the way they perform. Just their presentation of things. I saw Criss Angel do the exact same sawing in half you mentioned that Copperfield did and I actually preferred Angel's presentation. It had all kinds of weird creatures on stage and it was cool. But knowing how it is done now ruins what I believed 15 years ago when I started magic. I also thought there were guys who were the real deal. No I know for a scientific and proven fact that there are none of these creatures. None. Your studies and pursuits in magic will lead you the same path if you keep looking in the right places. Good luck.
PS After you read this light up a cigarette and open up a beer and relax. And then if you want ot quit these do it for health reasons not because you want to be a better magician or a mystic. Besides as far as I know true Mystics smokes pot.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Let me repeat this. There is really no such a thing as real magic. These are fantacies. Besides since no-one has ever real seen these mystics fly and pass through matter but we have seen Blaine and Copperfield do it and I know exactly how they did it like all the other magicians in the secret sessions then which one do you want to follow. Some internet text or the real thing which is not real but just brilliantly performed illusions. I wonder how many texts that people follow rteligiously (I do not refer here to any specific religion) were written by someone who was in awe of a magician that just performed an illusion and then his writing began a whole following.
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
And let's not forget that Copperfield's "Flying" illusion isn't even a secret anymore. It's a matter of public record for crying out loud!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
And here I thought that you could cut yourself in half with enough meditation. I wonder when these scars will heal? I tried to fly too. Jumped off my house, luckily my spine broke my fall.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Pachin
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Pachin
Robert you have been watching to much TV. You need to read more not just about magic but about other subjects as well. Like about the difference in being a human that is ver spiritual (who is someone that is very close to their inner soul), someone that uses meditation to relax their mind and body and about the real powers of the mind to accomplish things in life.

People that really have developed the potential of their minds are either monks or gurus ( you can find them in the Tibet or in secluded areas or countries where is no TV and internet). They are not hanging in bars. They bsacialy in monasteries.

IF BLAINE AND CHRIS ANGEL WERE SO SPECIAL THEY WILL NOT BE ON TV TRYING TO MAKE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS. 'MONKS AND VERY SPIRITUAL PEOPLE 'MYSTICS" DO NOT NEED MATERIALISTIC THINGS LIKE MONEY IN THEIR LIVES. Their happiness comes from their inside and they need less materialit things in their lifes.

Yes they are a lot of powers in our minds that could help you accomplish a lot in your live. But these are not powers that will control matter and substances.

Unfortunately TV keeps us to far away from the reality

Joaquin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic life (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL