We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Input wanted on new product please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Hi,

I thought it best to ask on here, so here goes...

I am currently nearing the end of a project and putting the finishing touches together. I have been slogging it out with manufacturers and I think I am finally getting there.

Which brings me to packaging....

I am about to re-release my book and stones for giving readings and I would appreciate some input (via PM if poss please) on the best way to go about it.

The question is this....

The set comes with 10 double sided custom cast pewter stones and I am torn between 2 options.

Option number one is:

1. "Fancy" blister pack packaging and colour printed inlay but nothing to keep the stones in afterwards.

2. Plain "jiffy bag" packaging and a custom "Sim Stone" embroidered velvet drawstring bag to keep the stones in after purchase.

There is (after getting a few quotes) not much difference in the outlay so I am asking for input from some Café members.

My thoughts are that I would rather have a custom embroidered velvet bag than any packaging but I am also aware that magic products can look a little tacky sometimes in those freezer type bags on dealers stands etc....

I am only producing 170 units so the price for both the bags and packaging are quite high with tooling etc. If I were producing (say) 10, 000 the price would be very cheap and I would simply do both...

Thanks for your input in advance...
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
It sounds like the effect deserves the velvet pouch to me.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Thanks Dave,
That is the impression I am getting from most people. However I have now had a design change thanks to one pm I recieved. I have been advised that it might not be a good idea to have "SIm Stones" on the bag as some people may want to call them something else.... I addition, most PM's I have recieved agree that the packaging may make it look good while on sale however it will end up in the bin at the end of the day and the end user will have to provide a way of storing them...
Thank you so far from everyone who have taken the time to post and PM me on this matter.
Bri
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
A simple velvet pouch, with no embroidery, would give the performer more flexibility in presentation, yet would be a great way to store the stones. If there wasn't a nice storage pouch, magicians would wonder why you you didn't go all the way with the high production value.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the input. I have had a couple of PM's expressing that it would be preferred if the bags had no embroidery, add to that the view that if there were it would be best not to "name" them I am now re-thinking.

I think I am decided on actually supplying bags rather than spend the money on packaging as I have not had one person via pm or reply to the post saying they would prefer it....

Again, thanks for your input, it is appreciated.

Bri
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Pouch.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Bag
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14061 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2005-09-02 12:05, gambituk1 wrote:
Hi,

I thought it best to ask on here, so here goes...

I am currently nearing the end of a project and putting the finishing touches together. I have been slogging it out with manufacturers and I think I am finally getting there.

Which brings me to packaging....

I am about to re-release my book and stones for giving readings and I would appreciate some input (via PM if poss please) on the best way to go about it.

The question is this....

The set comes with 10 double sided custom cast pewter stones and I am torn between 2 options.

Option number one is:

1. "Fancy" blister pack packaging and colour printed inlay but nothing to keep the stones in afterwards.

2. Plain "jiffy bag" packaging and a custom "Sim Stone" embroidered velvet drawstring bag to keep the stones in after purchase.

There is (after getting a few quotes) not much difference in the outlay so I am asking for input from some Café members.

My thoughts are that I would rather have a custom embroidered velvet bag than any packaging but I am also aware that magic products can look a little tacky sometimes in those freezer type bags on dealers stands etc....

I am only producing 170 units so the price for both the bags and packaging are quite high with tooling etc. If I were producing (say) 10, 000 the price would be very cheap and I would simply do both...

Thanks for your input in advance...

I would think the velvet pouch would add a classy touch....
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Thanks. It cetainly looks like that's what it's going to be then! I have to say a big thanks to everyone for their input as I would have gone ahead with the embroidery had I not asked here first and everyone has stated that they would prefer plain bags.
Thanks again folks....
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Well, it's been a long time since I started this thread....
After 3 manufacturers letting me down (and losing a fair amount of money with them all), one of those manufacturers simply vanishing half way through the process... I am finally awaiting delivery of the first 25 sets this Monday!
Almost 3 years on! Time flies!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Maybe you should have went with the blister pack! Smile Just kidding.....for the type of effect it is I would certainly go with the velvet bag......or at least include one. Good luck!
Mister Mystery
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Hi Regan,

That's what I have gone with...
Thanks!
Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I don't know how much room the stones take up, but you should be able to find an inexpensive, but well made, velvet bag at a jewelry supply house. They usually cost less than a buck apiece, and are available in different colors.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Hi Bill,

Velvet bags are what I am supplying for the stones Smile
I took delivery of the first 25 hand made sets on Saturday and they look great!
The website is finished, just waiting on some technical issues with the shopping cart to be sorted out....

Bri
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24255 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Good luck to you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Thanks Bill Smile
Bri
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Well.... Finally here witha release date after a long battle!
If anyone wants any info about the project please feel free to PM me or click on the cold reading link below...

Thanks for all your support,
Bri
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Quick update... first batch of 25 ready for shipping today, $70 discount for a limited period only...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » Input wanted on new product please (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL