The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls- Copper or brass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mting91
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of mting91
Hi I was wondering which material do you think is better in cups. Brass or Copper. Also I would like to know whether it is necessary to get the Johnson cups oppose to the Penguin cups?

By the way this is my first post
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Hi & welcome to the Café.

Have you tried the search function? You will find numerous posts just on this topic alone. The Penguin cups are cheap knock off's and personally I wouldn't recommend them (to light, poor stack, poor finish, & poor balance IMO). I'd suggest getting a set of Johnson cups; but there are cheaper versions that are well made on the market. If you do decide to get the Penguin cups look on eBay- you will save yourself about $50 which is really the most the cups are worth IMO.

I'd suggest going to Bill Palmer's cups and balls museum for more info on cups. If you use his site and the search function here at the Café most of your questions (including things you haven't thought of) will get answered.

Here is the link to Bill's museum: http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com

For the money, the Johnson cups are the best on the market IMO. They have a good weight, can take a decent load, and have a good sound to them when hit with a wand. They also stack very well together.

Really look over Bill's website, there is tons of information there that can help you decide what set of cups is right for you. I'd also look at the Riser site for some more info on selecting a set of cups and balls, the link's below.

http://www.jamesriser.com/Cups/SelectingCups.html

Good luck!
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Hi & welcome

This suject has been discussed & debated extensively. The answer will largely depend on (i) your budget and (ii) personal preference. If you can get to a magic shop and handle a few sets of cups, you'll get a better idea of what you like.

Try doing a search of the discussions (top right of the page).

Here's one to get you started:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Can anyone tell me whether Bazar Magia's COPPER cups are relatively heavy cups for the price?

and why is Misdirections magic shop selling Bazar's cups for upwards of 200 bucks?
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I thought your post had an error, now I wonder if Misdirections made one in their pricing! I went to their site and about fell off my chair when I saw their price listing. At first I thought they were talking about the Johnson cups, but those are listed for $215(another inflated price).

They can charge what they want but hopefully they don't sell any for that price. Did you send them an email asking if a solid gold wand came with the cups?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Quote:
On 2005-09-06 03:21, Mr. Muggle wrote:
Did you send them an email asking if a solid gold wand came with the cups?

LMAO! no, I just figured they *HAD* to come with the Golden Wand! I think I have to call them and see whats the deal...theyve been listed for that price for a long time...

...must be a typo, but then again EVERYTHING in CAlifornia is expensive!

-Baba
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I found a site that had a set of Johnson cups in stainless steel for sale(a definate webmaster typo), so its possible that someone made an error.

Hopefully it's a typo- and not product markup!
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
The Bazar copper cups are nice cups with a decent heft, for the price (the 45 dollar price, not the 200 dollar.) They don't seem flimsy at all. They are lighter than my Phoenix cups, of course, but they are good cups.
Chris
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
I have some copper Uday cups (India) which are amazingly hefty for the price ($20 for a chop cup). I am very able and willing to upgrade, but I really don't need to - they serve my purpose totally. I use 2 of these in my 2 cups/1 ball routine. Copper eventually takes on a beautiful patina with small specs of green - my specs seem to love them......
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
The Bazar cups are GREAT! I personally would reccomend copper for the patina! A great beginners set too.
Tarbell!
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I have not seen the Bazar copper cups, but I own a set of brass Bazar cups that I'm very happy with.

The brass cups are heavier and stronger than my original aluminium Bazar cups, and they also ring nicely when hit with a wand. They should also be more durable than the aluminum cups. At about $35, they were a good value, and if one cup goes missing or gets badly dented, it won't cost me an arm and a leg to replace them, either. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
I sent Misdirections an email last week checking on the price that was listed on the web; they never returned my email.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
They probably thought you blew their cover!! wonder if any suckers bought them at that price...

anyhow, copper all the way baby!

wish someone would buy my aluminum Morissey combo set for 20 bucks!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like the color of copper ones better. I also like how they keep their shine.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I agree- copper can look old and good, or new and good. That's hard to get with brass...

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups and balls- Copper or brass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL