The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » My Video: Invisible Palm Aces (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Beezer109
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Beezer109
Hey everyone. This is literally the FIRST video I have ever posted on the internet. Its not necassarily the first video I have ever made...I just hate being judged I guess....well not judged, but when people say THAT SUCKED! and things like that...I don't really appreciate. I like CONSTRUCTIVE critisizm. This video is based off many inspirations. Paul Harris, a friend of mine, and myself.

Please tell me what you think! Thanks...Nick

http://www.bees.magicalhost.info/invisiblepalm
dmk_kirkland
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of dmk_kirkland
In general I'd say it looks pretty smooth. You tend to speed up during some of the transfers which makes it look a little out of place.

The only other tip I have is in the revelations. I forget where I got this tip but instead of revealing by sliding your hand over (which gives a clue as to the method and looks exactly like what it is), pinch the card (already on the table) on the far right side with the back of your hand and the table. When you turn your hand over and maintain contact with the side of your hand and the card - the necessary thing happens automatically. The effect is that the card appears under your hand, without the sliding motion.

Good luck.
Cheers,
David
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Hmm... looks like Arnaud's routine posted over on MVD... however you are missing much of the clarity that his effect gives.

First off, the sliding is really really bad, so stop it.

Many of the transfers look good, so at least you aren't copying directly ever spread, but some of the motions on say the 2nd transfer look a little contrived and not natural for you.

It is an interesting handling, but if you are performing silent I'd suggest you work more on clarity, and using hand motions and gestures and card handling to promote that clarity...

As far as based on inspirations, except for the spreads, each transfer and such looks copied directly from Arnaud's posted routine....
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Daegs, I'm curious as to why that is such a big no no? If I like a card effect exactly as performed why not do it like that? Also it may be that I'm not as creative as the next guy and therefore it may take me a while to customize the card effect to my liking. So in the meantime I will do it like it was performed.

I really like the way Arnaud does this routine and do it exactly like he does. In the future as I gain more experience perhaps I will add/substitute my own handling.
But until then I will continue doing it like Arnaud does.

Just my opinion.

edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Is Nick and Edh and Beezer109 the same person. If not, then what follows will not be directly applicable.,

I think Daegs was responding to one question while you were asking another.

You said "How is this routine?" which Daegs took to mean, "How do you like the trick I invented?" So naturally, it sucks, since it is a direct lift of another published routine. But what you probably meant to ask was, "How do you like my performance of this routine?" There the comments about sliding and speed changes apply.

I hope that helps clarify things.

Kirk
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
If your gonna do the invisible palm, it's probably better to use the Larry Jennings version found in the Classic Magic of Larry Jennings by Mike Maxwell. Although it's harder than Paul Harris' routine (Both Mondo Nifty and Invisi Palm), It's much more effective on laymen because it has a plot (cards join Ace of Spades). Just my opinion though.
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
Editor of THE THAUMATURGE
www.thaumaturgenews.com
james-harrington
View Profile
Regular user
England
102 Posts

Profile of james-harrington
It looks very similar to the open travellers used by Bernard Billis. I liked the vanish at the end but I'm guessing that doesn't work so well in a walk-around situation. The sliding isn't good. I've never seen anyone slide the card so blatantly before. Oh and you flash real bad on the last transfer. Having said all that you're one up on most magician's I've seen so keep it up!

James
Beezer109
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Beezer109
I actually learned this from an instructional video arnaud made for me for the invisible palm aces.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions and I will def. consider them!
magicarisimon
View Profile
Regular user
Sherman Oaks
116 Posts

Profile of magicarisimon
By arnaud, do you mean arnaud chevrier? I have that tutorial and it's a good tutorial, but if you don't speak french you should probably supplement the video with a book or an instructional video in English. I know you can find documentation here:
VIDEO
Classic Magic of Larry Jennings
Stars of Magic: Paul Harris Volume 3
BOOK
Classic Magic of Larry Jennings
Paul Harris Art of Astonishment Volume 3

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Always in Magic,
Ari Simon
Editor of THE THAUMATURGE
www.thaumaturgenews.com
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
To kirkG:

yes that was part of it, but really it was the "This video is based off many inspirations." giving the thought that this was independantly created from inspirations, when nothing was really created except including some different spreads, as the routine and each transfer was identical.

But as I said, it is a good version but honestly compared to Arnaud and others I don't think it compares...

I don't have a problem with it,but don't say it was based on something or its your take, just say "How would you rate my performance of Arnaud's routine".

anyway, work on smoothness and clarity of effect as I said, those are the main lacking points, but overall it is a good version that will work well for you once you iron things out.
Fiddling-Steve
View Profile
Loyal user
Danbury, Connecticut
212 Posts

Profile of Fiddling-Steve
I liked it. I've never sen it done that way, I only perform the Bill Malone version. I liked the ending a lot, I have to work on mine now. I let my brother watch it and he though it was way "cooler" than mine... I have to practice now. Great job.
Stick to the classics,

Stephen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » My Video: Invisible Palm Aces (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL