The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 21st Century Coin Mechanics (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Box Jumper I think you misunderstood me "The 21st Century Coin Mechanics" is an excellent book and well written.
The SUV and the URV is what I am talking about are different although look similar from the photos.
[b]I said the URV is an excellent vanish but on the companion video[b] I did not see a retention of vision. I saw the fingers go into the hand this is the basic difference.
Let me restate the URV is an excellent vanish, no question about it.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Godfather,
On the companion video CD I have there is a powerful retention of vision on the URV and the Open Palm Retention Vanish and variant #3. I know what my eyes see but isn't America great? We can respectfully agree to disagree. Smile
BJ
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
I just ordered the book and video CD today after reading this entire thread through. Many thanks to other buyers of the book who answered my PMs.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Just received the book, CD, and Chinese Coin. I'm only a few pages into the book but WOW, very new moves which look great on the CD videos. The book is artfully done with all the details you'd expect in a fine hardcover. The photos are very clear and follow the text nicely. Over the holidays my goal is to learn the Flying Changeover Palm and the URV. Thanks Larry for sharing these moves with us.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Wunceaponatime,
I'm glad you're finding the book to your liking. Have a great holiday season.
Boxjumper,
The Watch, Wallet, and Ring is a favorite opening effect of mine. People remember this routine and will be convinced you can do almost anything using your magic.
Larry
jdknight
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jdknight
I consider myself a medium experienced Amateur... which means I know very little compared to the pros who have been posting on this thread. I can do all of the basic palms, and I am learning some of Dan Watkins moves from his excellent DVD. I too have seen Mickeys wonderful demo DVD and look forward to his material.

But, Larrys book and dvd (although some will require much practice) is very well written and very clear. I will learn many useful sleights but I think the most important thing (for me) that I will learn from his book is more of a "how to learn" coin manipulation. I will learn how to "handle" a coin and to apply this to all the other moves or sleights. Because I can understand his explanations.

The only magician I have seen perform (significant) coin magic in person is dean dill. Wow. That is the inspiration that keeps me learning coin manipulation. Almost all coin work has foundations in books like Bobos or Downs, but they are difficult to learn from and I find myself getting discouraged. So, even though Larrys book is advanced, because it is clear and concise with great photos, further enhanced by DVD, I will not ever regret purchasing this book... not even 50 years from now... when my experience may lie to me by telling me I know everything! I do not believe that the average laymen (unless he knows a magician) ever notices, or cares, how you move your hands...as long as you do not flash!

Long-winded ...I know... But I like the book. Very much.

Darren
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks Darren for the kind words. I spent a lot of time rewriting the book until the text and photos were as clear as I could make them. The companion video CD is something I wish I had way back when I was learning coin magic from Jean Hugard's book.
My book is selling well worldwide. Our post office clerk can't believe all the countries I've been shipping to.Smile
The book is scheduled to be reviewed in the February 2006 issue of Genii.
I still will be including the solid dollar size Chinese coin for Café members with each book until I run out of the coins.
Larry
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
I performed Boomerang Coins last night for friends at a party and got a great reaction. They wanted me to repeat it but I declined. It's so cool to do magic with ordinary objects (true, silver dollars are not quite ordinary) and when you're done you're clean. Thanks again Larry for sharing your secrets with us.
BJ
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

I know this may be a lame question but seriously I wonder if Larry has a favorite effect from his book.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Wunceaponatime,
My favorite effect from the book is "Coins From Vegas." However, I've gotten the strongest reaction from audiences following the performance of "The Watch, Wallet, and Ring" which is the only effect in the book that doesn't use coins. Smile
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

I just posted three short video clips on my website. These are from the Video Companion CD that goes with my book, 21st Century Coin Mechanics. They are compressed a bit so they are not as sharp as the ones you'll see on the CD itself.

Go to my website which is at the very bottom of the post (or click my banner on the main Café page). Once at the website click the link that says "Video Companion CD"

The following 3 clips are available for viewing.

Universal Retention Vanish (Chapter 7)
Open Palm Retention Vanish Variation 3 (Chapter 8)
Double Helix Change (Chapter 9)
MSD921
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of MSD921
Weighing in on this book......

I received this book a few days ago and I am very happy with my purchase. I did buy the companion CD, which I think is very important to have. I also received the free Chinese coin, which is a nice bonus. The book is concise, clear and well laid out. Sleights are in the front section and effects in the back. There are plenty (hundreds) of clear pictures to show needed hand and coin positions for each important facet of a sleight/effect. In this day and age of e-books and photocopied instructions, it is nice to see a professionally produced book.

The companion CD is invaluable. One is able to watch the various sleights, done by the author, and decide which moves are of interest to you. With inevitable time constraints, it is nice to make efficient use of your valuable magic practice time. I immediately saw four or five sleights that I felt would be useful, to me, so I was able to get right to them in the book. I also think it is very important to "see" how something should look, particularly if it is a new sleight, or new version of an existing sleight.

Candidly, some of the sleights presented, and some of the effects, are not for me. That's the case with any book or DVD. However, I already see more than enough information in the book, and video, to make me very satisfied with this purchase.

I highly recommend this book for its quality, clarity and content.

Thanks Larry

Mike
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

The videos I have posted on my Yahoo website someimes don't play properly or an error message pops up. I've put 3 files on YouTube and I'll add some more soon. They seem to work well. Let me know if you have any problems viewing them. Here are the links for the retention vanishes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycJAI3tq3bE URVramsay

http://www.youtube.com/?v=7GUZh0QWgzI OPRV

http://www.youtube.com/?v=rFD4kuGv-vs URV

http://www.geocities.com/larrybarnowsky/
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Wow !!! nice work, are these moves covered in your book
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-01-25 10:16, fbnc wrote:
Wow !!! nice work, are these moves covered in your book

Thanks.
Those retention vanishes and others are explained in the book with step by step instructions and black and white high resolution photos. The Companion Video CD shows these moves in much higher resolution and detail.

Larry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

I addition to the three video clips on YouTube I've posted one showing the Double Helix Change which uses the Rapid URV Technique as explained in my book.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=2GL89ywRSjc (Double Helix Change)
walking_liberty
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of walking_liberty
I've had the book for a few months now and I've gone through the whole thing a few times over, and again when the companion cd came out. I can't say enough good things about it. I voted it my favorite book of the year in another thread, and I encourage anyone that cares about doing great coin magic to get a copy.

The book is laid out perfectly, with all the necessary sleights covered before the routines. Just working on some of these sleights will keep you busy for a while. I use the flying change over palm vansih all the time and I love it. The double helix change is also another favorite.

As far as the routines, they're all great. the ones I get the most use out of are definatly "copper silver by brute force", "boomerang coins", "coins from vegas", "foreign exchange", and "the recalcitrant coin"...

There are 6 or 7 other routines in the book that are just as great. Those are just my personal favorites.

I can't reccomend this book enough. It's packed full of great new sleights and routines and it's one of the nicest, most proffesional, looking books out to date. Pick up the companion cd with it and it will make learning the routines even easier.

and you get a dollar size chinese coin for free with the book!...

You can't go wrong
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Wow,
Walking_liberty, thanks for that wonderful review. I'm so happy you are enjoying the book and find the sleights and routines to your liking.

Here's something to try for those who already have the book. Do the Double Helix Change using just one coin. You'll get a very rapid visible coin vanish.

I'll be in Vegas next week but we will still be taking orders and shipping them while I'm away. As usual, orders received the night before will be shipped that AM, and orders received before the PO closes will be shipped that day.

Larry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks to all those who have purchased my book. We are very close to reaching the 300th copy sold. At the rate the book is selling, I expect to hit that milestone very soon (measured in hours or days). The person ordering the 300th copy will get some prizes:

1. The book will be numbered, signed, and dated by myself and the photographer (Esther) with a personal inscription to the purchaser.

2. In addition to the old genuine dollar size Chinese coin, three additional coins will be included:

A 1 1/2 inch Chinese Coin with a square hole
A 1 1/2 inch solid Chinese coin
An 1899 Morgan Silver Dollar (same date as the one on the dust jacket of my book and containing an ounce of silver)

3. And the most precious prize of them all Smile, my magic business card when I was 13 years old signed on the back.

Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Going, going, ...

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 21st Century Coin Mechanics (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL