The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Show in Nov. HELP!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Hello to all,

I have been asked to perform a 30-45 min show for 200 children at a private school here in town. I have always performed the Plan of Salvation with a change bag (using silks according to the colors in the Plan of Salvation- red= blood, yellow= streets of gold, black= sin, etc...) I would like to use tricks in my current show to reduce the possibility of overloading myself learning new routines. I perform the following tricks/illusions for b-day parties, etc:
1. Hands & Thumbs
2. Silk Vanish w/ thumbtip (to describe what magic is...)
3. Change Bag Routine (Blendo or Spotted Dog)
4. Silk to Egg
5. Square Circle
6. Block and Cord
7. Cups and Balls
8. Magicians Insurance
9. Gypsy Thread
10. Newspaper Tear
11. Parakeet Production
12. Subtrunk/Escape Trunk - should be completely built by beginning of Oct.

I really like the Square Circle idea in Laflin's book and I know I could come up with some good routines; however, I figured more input would benefit me- not to mention- you all may have far better ideas than I could have come up with...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Magically,
Bryan
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Bryan,

You probably already know this, but not every effect needs to have a message attached to it. In fact, you most likely don't want that. Pick a theme or one solid message that you want to present, and then use 2 or 3 illusions to illustrate that message. Sort of come at it from different viewpoints. Tell them what you want to tell them, then tell them, then tell them what you told them. And in between, have some fun routines. If your standard birthday show has fun, child-oriented magic in it, use those routines and then fold the message into the mix. (I assume the routines are age appropriate).

For example, in a recent outreach event I was asked to perform about 30 min. This was an event designed to draw a crowd and present a Christian witness. So my message was one of Salvation. Here's what I did:

- Open with upbeat music and a production sequence. Fast and colorful.
- Introduced myself and presented a quick gospel routine using Duane Laflin's One Way routine for the chinese compass. (fun and a message all combined in one)
- Explain my job is only illusion (using multiplying bananas and a dream bag)
- Performed a mentalism routine based on Duane Laflin's "God Loves You and Knows Who You Are". (2 audience memebers help "create a person" by selecting a first and last name from an assortment of names on paper. The magician then "predicts" the new name) "There is no way I could really know that, but God does know who you are, and he cares about you"
- Finish with a simple illusion known as Starcle. Alan Olive posted a gospel version on the Café some months back that inspired me to begin using this one. The trick is simple, but the message is powerful. I based my routine on his basic idea. Essentially, it ties in a salvation message with the idea that God knows who you are and wants to know you.

So, Bryan, what message are you trying to convey to the kids? Figure that out, and the rest will come.

Scott
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Gospel Show in Nov. HELP!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL