The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sponge Ball Moves/Techniques/Routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Is there a good reference (either book or video) with sponge ball moves, vanishes, etc.

There is?

Cool!!! What is it?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
Wilson Complete Course has a really good section on sponge balls and moves.

Also 'Sponge Ball Manipulations' by Audley Walsh and 'The Sponge Book' by Frances Marshall should be added to your library. Together they will cost ~ $10US.

Also get Hampton Ridge's '25Tricks with Sponge Balls' video. It's $10 and one of the best teaching videos I have seen for any price.

That should get you started and well on your way.

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

well, I am already started and on my way. I'm just wanting more. would you still recommend the 25 tricks video?

those 25 tricks videos scare me. I bought the cups and balls video a while ago and thought it was junk.

i'll check out your other references too. thanks.
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

Profile of Craig Ousterling
Don't bother with the hampton ridge vid. I am in the same boat as you. After coming back from a long time away from the craft, I figured I'd start with something I never really got into to begin with. Never realized how hard it is to find a good sponge reference.

The best reference I could dig up from what I have was the little pink sponge ball trick book. I have since been putting together my own routine using bits and pieces of everything I've seen and a buncha stuff I haven't
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

How about the Patrick Page Video?

or

Jon Jensen's Professional Sponge Ball Tricks
Volume One

or

Volum Two
Leigh
View Profile
New user
Ex-Blighty, now Canada
78 Posts

Profile of Leigh
Try "Ear Plugs" by Jay Sankey. It's a good video on manipulating sponge balls. It includes 4 routines (from memory). Also included are the "ear plugs," large pieces of sponge, shaped like... ear plugs!
nappa
View Profile
Regular user
new york
108 Posts

Profile of nappa
Im not sure if he has a video out on it by mike ammars sponge ball routinee is great.
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
If you end up looking for any good routines check out Scott Guinn's "Peanut, Butter & Jelly", Roger Klause's "Sponge Ball up the Spectator's Sleeve", and the first routine in John Carney's "Carneycopia".

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

I went and bought patrick page video on sponge balls and i thought it was worth the $20.

I already have scott's PBJ which I like but do not perform yet.

I also know carney's version from carneycopia which is what I base my current routine on at this time.

Thanks!
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1554 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Personally, I thought the 25 tricks with a sponge ball video was worth the $10. Dave goes through the explanations a little faster than I would have, but he explains them enough for you to understand them. And it is a video, so rewinding is always an option.

I still use the basic routine he gave on the tape. I came up with a whole story around the routine, but it is basically the one he teaches on the tape. I think you should consider buying it.

The only other sponge ball tape I know of is Brad Burt's tape. I think it is overpriced at $40, but I use his rentention vanish all the time, so maybe it was worth the $40.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Forgot to mention, Troy Hooser has some interesting sponge ball moves using a TT in his book.

While we're on the subject of gimmicks, I saw Dan Garrett perform some of his spongeball stuff last weekend, and he convinced me that the Sanada gimmick is the best thing going in the world of sponge balls, absolutely amazing stuff.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

I got Carneycopia for the logical bill trick... totally missed the sponges at the front of the book! Thanks Sherman...
Masimax
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
104 Posts

Profile of Masimax
There are some routines on sponge balls in "The Art of Close Up" vol 1.

I've also the video "25 tricks with sponge balls" and I think it's good for his price.

Masimax
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
The original post did ask for 'moves, vanishes, etc.'so those were the references I gave.

I also have the 25 tricks with Cups and Balls tape and I am lukewarm on it. But the sponge ball tape is really a bargain at $10.
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Try to find a used copy of Frank Garcia's Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic (it's out of print, I believe). This is a really comprehensive book on the topic. It covers many techniques and has some great routines.

Uli
MAGICTOM
View Profile
Veteran user
Dallas, Tx
354 Posts

Profile of MAGICTOM
check out Michael Sibbernsens video demo
"Technicolor Sponge Ball" trick
at the magic theater... I like this routine and plan on getting it soon..
here is the link

http://magictheater.com/index.html

and have fun!
C-ya
Tom Smile
No Man is his craft's master the first day!
J.B. Bobo
Craig Ousterling
View Profile
Special user
566 Posts

ok. I'll admit for begining moves the 25 tricks hampton ridge tape woul be ok. I personally think it's just the video version of the pink book I have. I got the video and the book many years ago. Sounds like the price of the tape went down, so is now worth getting just to 'see' the material in the book. It's not a cheesy tape or anything, I just thought I got the same thing out of the book I had.
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
I got most of my moves from Mark Wilson magic book and then I picked up Patrick Page video. Worth every cent. Just remember to make the presentation your own. Smile
Life of Magic!
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Quote:
On 2002-10-31 11:51, MAGICTOM wrote:
check out Michael Sibbernsens video demo
"Technicolor Sponge Ball" trick
at the magic theater... I like this routine and plan on getting it soon..
here is the link

http://magictheater.com/index.html

and have fun!
C-ya
Tom Smile

Thanks for the recommendation Tom!

If anyone is interested in Technicolor Sponge Balls, check out the information page at

http://waterloomagic.com/TSB.html

Both "Immediate Download" and "Complete Package" versions are available.

Besides the theater link given by Tom, the All Magic Guide also features review of the routine.

Best in Magic,

MS
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13385 Posts

After reviewing the Patrick page video, I think that it was definitely worth it.

There are several vanishes. A couple are very very good. There's a sponge ball and benson bowl routine. There's thoughts on sponge balls and a tophat routine which I really liked. It's used sort of like a chop cup... you have to see it for yourself.

His routine is on there but I really like my extended Carney-esque routine and Scott's PB&J better.

On a different subject, I also bought the Patrick Page TT video which I also thought was quite good. There are a few foolers on there that I had to rewind to see again. A few routines, and some good thoughts.

One move was especially good and reminds me of a John Ramsay coin technique. It is perfect for those speckys who know about a TT and think you're using one (which you are) to vanish a silk. The don't see it on the left hand and hey!!!, it's not on right hand either. Both hands shown empty!

It too is certainly worth the money.

Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Sponge Ball Moves/Techniques/Routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL