The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Please watch and tell me what you think. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hi guys:

This is just a video me and a buddy made in the office.

A simple card trick, nothing fancy.

http://media.putfile.com/CI-Card-Trick

Just want to know what you guys may think of the colour change.

It's something I came up with independantly, though I'm very sure that it's been done before. So if you've seen it somewhere, please let me know.

It's my variation of the Erdnase.

Oh yeah, yes I know, I choked on the card control, but nothing detrimental.

Take care guys!

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
Hmm, I don't like the camera moving away at the moment. I know you'll probably chalk that up to the misdirection that you'd use in the real deal, but didn't dig it. The control was, well, you know. I've never seen anything from you before, but from your post content, I expected more. Not trying to be harsh, just honest as I know you can take it, again from reading the your posts I believe this.

Looks like a side steal from the opposite side. Never seen it before (that's not saying much).

Do you always use those cards, Logan?
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Nice video my friend Logan. At least, it gives me the opportunity to see you for the first time in the real life Smile

About the effect, I like the idea of placing your right hand on your arm, before the change. Your camera has simulated what an spectator will watch in the real life with the right misdirection. But, taking advance of the idea of placing the hand in your arm, try to leave the hand in the same position as at the begining, when the spectator moves up and down his eyes. And for not curving the card if you do as I told, try to palm the card "more in the palm less in the fingers", as Jose De La Torre used to do.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Logan very nice handling. and very different
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Logan, that was just beautiful! Simple, classic... This is a fine example of what can be done with just a couple of simple moves and the proper presentation. Good stuff, my friend!

-Reis
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Jaymz023
View Profile
Veteran user
Midwest
356 Posts

Profile of Jaymz023
I liked it!! That color change was nice!
Creator of "Re-Attached" an easy piece by piece Torn and Restored card routine.

http://www.lybrary.com/reattached-p-250.html
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Logan, great color change at the end. Your really fries your friend as he said "Ooh, nooooo." I esp. like your special deck as it really brings out the effect. Great job, Logan!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Thanks for the comments guys!

Pablo, amigo, I usually palm it more away from my fingers and I usually spread them apart as I swipe my hand downwards, but when I stole the card out, it jumped a little higher in placement than usual, which results in a stiff hand.

KidCrenshaw, no I don't always use those cards, I just use them for close up magic and stuff, but not at paid gigs as I need to do deck switches at times. Oh, and it's not exactly a side steal.

I must say that my handling in the video isn't exactly the best I've done, and I'm not particularly proud of the way it looks in the video, but the colour change was what mattered and that translated nicely in this video.

About the camera moving up, glad you all know what it's for, though even if it was burning my hands, you wouldn't see much, it just looks a lot cleaner with the misdirection - as with a lot of magic.

Vinny, your comments, coming from you, mean a lot to me. Thanks my friend.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16224 Posts

Profile of tommy
Cool Logan thanks for showing us, I enjoyed it. I also like the advice Pablo gives. Keep up the good work.

Tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4048 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I really enjoyed the color change. I also thought, given the kind of seated position you were in, the hand on the arm was natural looking.

You obviously fried your co-worker.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Mark,

Thank you. Indeed, the hand resting on the wrist is natural-looking and was also done on purpose to facilitate the preparation of the change.

Take care my friend,

Logan

KidCrenshaw
View Profile
Special user
USA
537 Posts

Profile of KidCrenshaw
No, I just meant that it looked like a side steal.

I do agree though, that your hand did look relaxed in that position, but out of place from the time the camera left it.
"Put your faith in Providence, but always cut the cards"
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
KidCrenshaw,

Thanks for your valuable criticism, I can only be a better card man because of it.

Take care buddy,

Logan

By the way, does anyone know if this colour change exists already?

I'm quite sure it has, just wish to know where.

So if anyone out there could enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

Rudy
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland
352 Posts

Profile of Rudy
Logan, very good looking and sweet. There's nothing better to do in the office but card tricks, always fun!!! Thanks for sharing the video, keep it up.

Rudy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
To start, the card change looked good. Have you tried the Leipzig stuff? Once you have a good color change, his slap aces is a fun trick.

Okay I'm puzzled, what part of that are you asking about for originality?

Yeah in general there is a problem when moving cards around. Ones hand tends to accommodate the card for fear of bending it. A major tell. Some folks have gone to rear palm (see ECT) or Tabled Palm or similar get around that problem without bending the cards. Others went to quality plastic cards which spring back nicely yet are slippery so difficult to handle with dry hands.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Jonathan,

I PM'ed you buddy.

Thanks for your kind advice.

Take care,

Logan

twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
That change does exist. Check out Troy Hooser's book, DesTROYers. It's called the "Zombie Change" and is on pg. 97 of DesTROYers.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
Looks good logan..but you hand looked relaxed ..then all of a sudden the camera went off it..and it got a tense and unnatural looking..and your convincing control could of been a little neater due to the fact you had more then one card sticking out...but very smooth change
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Please watch and tell me what you think. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL