The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » "My" Open Travellers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Erik J
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of Erik J
Alright, just saw another guy uploading his version of Open Travellers, here is my:
DeFlare_OpenTravellers

The handling is inspired by:
JC Wagner
Arnaud Chevrier
Bill Malone

Posted: Sep 5, 2005 4:52pm
------------------------------------------
Aww, 40 views, no comments Smile
This signature is approved by Erik.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
494 Posts

Profile of afknight
I liked it.. good job...
brokin6
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
276 Posts

Profile of brokin6
A little slow for my taste. Also the handling of the extra card and the aces at the beginning seemed very awkward. Maybe a little more work would benefit this effect. Although I must admit you seemed pretty comfortable handling your doubles. As I said, a little more work and this will shine. Oz
Why does coin magic make my head hurt!?!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
De Flare very nice card handling your doubles as already mention looked excellent.
the only part I did not like and this is just my opinion is that in the begining there was too much over proving......
Are you sure that was you performing and not Harwin....... lol just kidding..
Really great job.....
ps
for those who do not know Harwin He is another excellent young magician from Sweeden
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
2hot
View Profile
New user
Sydney
89 Posts

Profile of 2hot
Very very smooth handling. The only thing that I think that you should improve is the seperating of the cards on the table. The action should be more continuous with the act of laying the invisble card down
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Very nice rendition of a classic, Deflare...keep up the great work! Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
On 2005-09-06 01:39, vinsmagic wrote:
...in the begining there was too much over proving......

Couldn't agree more. Remember, you're the only one who knows you have an extra card. Also, I would get rid of the KM moves at the beginning, this move has no business in this routine. You are adding heat where there needn't be any. I know it probably servs a purpose, but there has to be a more elegant way.

One other thing, and it's really just a small point. When you perform a tent vanish, the thumb that was propping the card up should remain in position after the card has apparently been taken away. This leaves a defined area, where the card was a moment before and really adds to the illusion.

Other than that, I really liked it. I like the bluff with the Three of Clubs, is that your idea? Either way, it's a good one. Also, like others said earlier, your handling of doubles is superb which is really just further reasoning to trim some excess fat off the opening 'display' sequence.

Dave.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You have a great start there. Now comes the hard part. Reducing the moves to a minimum. Streamlining, thinking, reducing, etc. Getting it to where there are no extra movements at all. Nothing unnecessary.

Save that video, work on the routine, and then re-post it and the new routine together so we can see what changes you've made.

Good work and good luck!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Erik J
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of Erik J
Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave, that KM Move handling, and bluff with the the 3 is JC Wagners handling.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
I'll have to agree with Frank actually, a little too much moves, I prefer the version taught by Paul Harris.

Vinny, I got no idea what the deal about me overproving is,
but thanks for the compliment after.
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
The over proving in the beginning of the routine showing the aces a number of times in my opinion is not necessary , This is just an opinion of mine there is nothing wrong in doig it ...And Dve forest agrees with me as well
the godsfather
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1065 Posts

Profile of Jonas
You misunderstood my Vinny, I meant this:

Quote:
On 2005-09-06 01:39, vinsmagic wrote:
the only part I did not like and this is just my opinion is that in the begining there was too much over proving......
Are you sure that was you performing and not Harwin....... lol just kidding..
http://www.youtube.com/jonashaglund < Card flourishes and some other stuff.
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
Quote:
On 2005-09-06 12:40, DeFlare wrote:
Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave, that KM Move handling, and bluff with the the 3 is JC Wagners handling.

I see. Well, I hate to disagree with a luminary like JC Wagner but I still say the KM moves are unnecessary. I do like the Three of Clubs bluff though. Very cool indeed. Smile

Dave.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Good work, DeFlare... you're on the right track. Keep working it and then reshoot it so we can see the progress.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Ok.

First off, good work with going with a routine that has each ace traveling to the table IN ORDER(this is very important imho that there are no packet switches or changing of which cards have travelled).

However, you get major point reduction for having the Ace of Hearts touch the packet at the end.

During an open travellers they should NEVER touch for any reason.(well I do like your use of the gorden turnover to flip the 3 tabled cards but I mean face down they should never touch)

Yes the 3 of clubs is a killer bluff and probably one of the best points in this handling... your clip of the card is very nice and it really has a good economy of motion.

I agree about overproving at the beginning... you should prove but it should be incidental and not a "here let me show you them singlely" thing.

Pretty decent overall, but solve the problems and it will be much better!
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of Logan
Deflare,

I liked it. As what others said, the overproving is unnecessary.

You're handling doubles very nicely and the 3C bluff was ingenious!

Dave Forrest, your advice about the tent vanish is excellent, got me re-thinking how I do my tent vanishes! Thanks!

By the way, what was the background music?
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Erik J
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of Erik J
Thanks all for your tips, and after I watched the video again, I realized I really do overshow the aces in the beginning.

I have cheanged the handling, and I will upload a video for you guys when I have time, so you can see my progress.

Thanks again for your comments Smile

PS. Logan, it is The Servant - Cells
Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
IMHO, the worse part of the routine is where you show three backs, and turn them around and cover one of the cards with one of the aces. It looks awkward.

Other than that, you should separate the cards on the table abit differently, IMO. It should look like you just place your hand straight down, and the cards appears under your hand. PM me if you'd like a quick explanation of how this is easily done Smile

-Samuel
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
RealDeal JU
View Profile
Veteran user
New Jersey
375 Posts

Profile of RealDeal JU
Quote:
On 2005-09-08 06:55, Samuel wrote:
IMHO, the worse part of the routine is where you show three backs, and turn them around and cover one of the cards with one of the aces. It looks awkward.

I couldn't agree more. This part looks very unnatural. You can tell you're hiding something there. Also during that same part when you are flipping to the backs it too looks very forced and unnatural. Other than that, good work I enjoyed it.

Jim
"Challenge yourself to come up with your own

material, rather than buying into the idea that

you have to do the same thing that everyone

else is doing to be a good magician."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » "My" Open Travellers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL