The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Getting on TV (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

icentertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of icentertainment
Hello People,

How does one get onto TV, say performing and then being in an interview.

Like David Letterman and all that.

Granted it would be tough for an Aussie to get onto the Letterman show but the advice could help me get onto Aussie TV shows.

Thank you,

David Welzman
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
For a national show (ANY nation) you would have to be:

Quite well-known both in the magic community and in the general entertainment industry;

Seen as a bright new talent, due to go very far very fast very soon, and with a personality that was well-known as a type that complemented the TV show;

Already an AFTRA (union) member (one exception: getting onto a union production could be your ticket into the union) - or the applicable union for your area;

Be appearing regularly in a public place in a major city at the time, or have an album or book or film or network show in current release.

--------------------- [sigh] -------------

Most of us would be more successful setting our sights on local (citywide) TV.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
ricker
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
914 Posts

Profile of ricker
Local TV shows are always looking for "guests".

As an example, during magic week in Oct., all magicians should be on a local show. That means making calls NOW to get on the guest list for the show that week.

I've got plans here for the local cable show, to do something all week that week.

BTW, do something with the host, the female one. They love magic and love being in the center of a trick.

I levitated the host of our local cable show and now have a weekly spot on it.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Basically, all you have to do is think of two things: The first is extremely easy. Pick a show you would like to be on, then call the station and ask, "Who do I need to speak with about appearing on the such-and-such show?"

The second thing is more difficult. When you talk with the producer, you must be able to clearly and quickly tell them why you appearing on their show will benefit them. The harsh reality is that they have no real interest in how good of a magician you are or how much being on their show will help you. All they want is to peak the interest of their viewers. So, if you are able to give them an intriging reason their viewers will want to watch you and hear what you have to say, they will be happy to book you.

A good way to tackle this challenge is to think of what the show's host will say as a teaser before you appear. I.E. "... and when we come back _________" (fill in the blank)For example: "... and when we come back, Marjory Homemaker will teach you how to make an entire Thankgiving feast in under 30 minutes using only mini marshmallows, Jello, and chicken gravy." Now, be honest, who would switch over to a Matlock rerun and when they could witness that? Smile

Thanks,
Richard
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
RICHARD is DEAD-ON RIGHT on this one... You do NOT have to be famous in the least, you HAVE TO Have A Killer Hook and BENIFIT to the target audience of the show you hope to get on...

Oprah, David Letterman, Leno or Jerry Springer; "no message to market match", no go for show biz in TV land!

It really IS that simple.

Great Share Richard!

Ricker is right-on for local TV, but the more "benefits" you have for local TV, the better your chances are there too!

I am at your service and In HIS Service,
Deano
<><
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Getting on TV (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL