The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » The Trouble With Sponges... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I can't imagine keeping sponge balls around for years, as some of you claim to do. I always like to give the sponges away to spectators - to me they are a consumable. It's a lot more powerful if you can multiply the balls for them, and then let them keep them - "Keep them - I made them magically just for you" etc. is more like magic really would be, if it were real.

I really like the large goshman 3D sponge bunnies- they make nice giveaways to little girls, especially.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13414 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I wonder where Chad keeps his butter?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Chad Long
View Profile
V.I.P.
227 Posts

Profile of Chad Long
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 11:12, Frank Starsini wrote:
I wonder where chad keeps his butter.

I find that the boxes that sponge balls come in work great!
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
As to what to call them, well, when I produce the first one from the volunteer's elbow, I refer to it as the "Pinched NERF in your elbow," of course!

Lee "Master of Pun-fu" Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Keith Brown
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
91 Posts

Profile of Keith Brown
Jay Scott Berry, in a lecture I saw several years ago, suggested that one take a small size travel hairspray bottle, clean it, then fill it with water. That way, you could "fresh'n them up" even if no other water is available. Just passing this along.
~Keith
~Dr. Keith Brown
<BR>"The Master of Mystery"
<BR>www.KeithBrownMagic.com
<BR>
www.TheInvisibleMagicShop.com
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Quote:
On 2006-07-16 22:19, joe.bacchus wrote:
Looking for a source for other color sponge balls, 2", blue, orange, yellow, purple etc. Would be nice to find a vendor that would discount gross of mixed colors or single colors. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Joe

Laflin magic stock many different colours, they do a purple which is great for not showing the dirt etc.

Carron
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1687 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
My sponges do get a bit dirty, but nothing that a good rinse in warm water can't cure. They get washed with liquid hand soap as needed.

My sponge balls probably get beat up more from me pulling little bits out of them as I try to tear them in two.

I agree with Frank. I always start by asking people if the know what this (sponge ball) is. Usually get "clown's nose" to which I explain that if it was it would have a little split in the middle so I could stick it on my nose and look like a Bozo. As Frank said, this gets you interacting with the audience, which is good, but in my case it allows me to show the ball around while casually hiding another ball in finger palm that will eventually be split into the second ball.

Whatever my personal feelings about sponges are, I will always perform them because darn if spectators don't just love those little red sponge balls...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24111 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use to perform with sponge balls when I first started. For many years I have been using the rabbits instead. I use the 5 inch ones in Goshman's "Hare Raising Experience." They are supersoft, those last longer. And the supersoft ones can take up less space in a pocket. I wash mine in the washing machine. After a couple of washes I bring back the color by using color dye. When they had enough I give them away at a birthday party.

I always take mine in my pocket wherever I go. To me the sponges are a spectator's favorite trick. I never know who I might meet that day. So I'm always prepared.

When I bump into someone I pull the sponges out telling the person to point to one. Fifteen percent of the time the spectator asked me what they are. I say "Bunny Rabbits. Point to one." From there on everything works smooth.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
What to call sponges? Lately I've been saying they're the world's first intelligent sponges - distantly related to Sponge Bob himself. Why are they so smart? Well for one thing, they can multiply and divide. And unlike
Sponge Bob, they're, well, red. (read)
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
Quote:
On 2005-09-21 11:33, Eric Leclerc wrote:
The trouble with sponges, is explaining to the spectator what they are. What do you guys say?

Spherically shaped pieces of low density polyurathane.

I have had two different scientist tell me that on two separate occassions.
M.R.
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Nerf balls is also the common thing I tell people. As for the shape thing, if you're the type to wear tight clothes and the sponges lose shape in your pocket you might want to try not using the super soft sponges (those lose shape very easily) and putting the sponges in non pants pockets, like a jacket pocket.

Eddie
Eddie Ivan Torres
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I don't like sponge balls. Audiences, however, love them. Every time I make up my mind to stop carrying the d*** things around, someone says "show so-and-so your little red balls!"
I guess I'll keep on carrying them around (sigh)
When they get ugly and disreputable, I throw them away and get new ones.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
I love Sponge Balls as much anybody, and wonder if you can use a performing tip I've not seen elsewhere? I would claim it as my own, but as quickly as I do someone will point out that it was published in the Jinx, the Phoenix, Hugards, The Discoverie of Witchcraft...so, FWIW:

I use a red makeup sponge for a finale or a throw-away bit during a routine. This round pad is 1/4" thick and a perfect colour/texture match for the Goshman products. Ring it in during an opportune moment and pretend to "squash" the little ball flat...hey, presto! That's just what happens!

N.B.: DO NOT get all cute and cut a little mouth and some eyes into the pad...like I did, thinking it would personalise the sponge. Boy, did it. When some kid saw that little face looking back at him from the table, you'd have thought I smacked a puppy! Not a good show.

Leland
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
I had a book many years ago from which I first learned sponge ball routines. Now You See It Now You Don't by Bill Tarr and illustrated by Barry Ross.

I think it was newly published when I got it around 1976/77. Not positive on the actual name spelling or dates. But I do remember really liking this book.

Anyway, I remember it being an excellent book, but is it the best one for sponge ball routines or do you recommend another book...I don't believe I will find anything in Tarbell on sponge balls specifically...although I'm sure there are slights I can use with them.

Thanks for any advice on a good sponge ball book.

As far as keeping them clean I always had a set for use in a show and a set for practice, once the show balls got dirty I would retire them to practice balls and give away the older set.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Quote:
On 2005-10-01 23:06, Joe Russell wrote:
I store all my sponge balls in the circular file, my magic is done with common objects and until regular people start carrying spongeballs around in their pockets every where they go, I will not perform sponge magic, but that is just my oppinion.

Does this mean you don't do card magic or use half dollars in your magic?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-09-02 06:40, Chad Long wrote:
Just in case anyone reads this topic again, I thought I would post a silly idea on storing sponge balls that I've been using for years. I only do a simple four ball routine, so I keep them in one of those Tupperware containers that holds a stick of butter! They fit perfectly and it works great.

I was going to mention that, while I'm at the hardware dept. of Wal*Mart, we sell some wrenches and other tools that come in plastic boxes with lids. When the boxes were empty, the manager was throwing them away! I started saving them and the small square ones fit several sponge balls with no crushing problems whatsoever! They're thicker than the disposable Tubberware containers and free! (You might want to ask the guy at Wal*Mart if he has any being thrown away. You also might want to check the hardware departments of other local stores... I can't imagine Wal*Mart having an exclusivity on these things!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Ted Danger
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco/Utila
101 Posts

Profile of Ted Danger
I don't like carrying props. I love carrying gimmicks and gaffs however. I use napkins as spongeballs. There are many advantages, but you don't get the little bunny finish. It's a small price.
"One may say the eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility." Albert E.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1217 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I always start by producing them from a purse frame, and put one in each of the spectator's hands, saying "This is the trick with the two little red balls. Do you know why it's called the trick with the two little red balls?" Usually they say no, so I tell them, "Because it's done with two little red balls."
Or they beat me to the punch line. Either way, it gets a chuckle and we're off to a good start.
Maybe that's why nobody has ever asked me what they are. I've shown them and told them and let them squeeze them and no one has ever wondered why a magician would carry such a thing. If anything, it uisually seems to mark me as a "real" magician that I would have such things on my person, together with a tiny wand, of course.
I especially like sponges because I've routined them to work entirely out of the hands with no other working surface, so its literally a do-anywhere trick.
I also use the color-changing ball and square sponge in the routine, so I don't pack it until just before I plan to perform, if possible. If not, I find that giving the square a couple of squeezes as I produce it helps it back into shape.
Marc the Magic Man
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Quote:
On 2005-09-21 11:33, Eric Leclerc wrote:
The trouble with sponges, is explaining to the spectator what they are. What do you guys say?

Its ...a...sponge...ball.

No explaination necessary.
kammagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1304 Posts

Profile of kammagic
Hey,

Just did 2 hours under a tent in 90°f weather. I got there and had forgot to prepere my spongeballs. I didn't have any water in the car but I had some Purell hand sanitizer. I squirted a bunch in my hand then rubbed it all over the sponge balls. IT WORKED GREAT! plus it dried very fast because of the alchohol and kills all the germs too. I think I will be using this from now on.

, Jonathan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Where to put it all... » » The Trouble With Sponges... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL