The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Key-r-ect 7 keys padlock (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi all, I am trying to find information on the history and inventor of the master brand padlock and the correct title of this trick. I know it as Key-r-ect or 7 keys lock.

any accurate help would be appreciated.

Ian McColl
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I believe this effect was originally known as "Seven Keys to Baldpate," which is a reference to a mystery novel, not sure of the author (Earl Biggers?). The inventor of the trick itself may have been Ted Annemann.

Key-r-rect was a mechanical version of the same effect, and I believe it was marketed in the 1960's. Hopefully someone else can fill in some of these blanks for us. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Seth, thank you. I am told the inventor of the Master brand padlock version died in the last few years and can you tell me if it was Ted Annemann who made this version until his death.

Ian
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
Ian -- I don't believe Annemann produced Key-r-rect because he died in the 1940's, and Key-r-rect wasn't produced until the 1950's or 60's. I also think Annemann's version of this effect did not require a gaffed lock, but relied on other means.

FYI, there is a new version of this effect being marketed by Viking, called the "Hemingway Lock." It uses a very large padlock, which I assume is gaffed in some way. See http://www.vikingmagiccompany.com/?nd=full&key=91

I don't know why, but this effect always interested me. I don't perform mentalism and have never performed this trick, but was always intrigued by it. As you probably know, you really don't need a fancy gimmicked lock, you can accomplish the same thing by buying a neat-looking lock at your local hardware store along with some extra keys, and then working up the necessary switches either manually with sleight of hand or by using one of several well-known gimmicks. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The gentleman who made the Key-r-rect was Merrill Magic. I think he was from Louisana.

Keys to Bladplate is the same effect but a totally non mechanical method.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Richard, thank you, do you know the name of the inventor and when he passed away?

Ian
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Though Key-R-Rect and Hemingway Lock(a Collectors' Workshop item) are both mechanical, the methods differ. In Key-R-Rect the spectator can open the lock at the end, while Hemingway Lock requires the performer to open the lock.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
...and then there's Ken Allen's (?) Lock of Gibralter that works a tad differently and all the other Monte-type locks and locks through plastic frame variations that work on yet a different principle.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi, thanks for the slightly off topic information all given with the best intensions but this seeking of information is important to me.

I am hoping to find out before the end of the week.

Can any tell me the maker's name, the inventor of the Key-r-ect padlock trick using a Master brand padlock??

cheers

Ian
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The original instruction sheet is signed by Carl Wolf. The address is:
Merriss Magic*1462 S. Elaine Drive*Baton Rouge, LA 70815.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think http://www.stevensmagic.com still has a few sets left.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Carl Woolfe is the man.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Thank you all, just in the nick of time, I aslo got a private email to say it was Karl Wolf from Baton Rounge.

thank you all

Ian
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2005-09-09 20:32, Ian McColl wrote:
Thank you all, just in the nick of time, I aslo got a private email to say it was Karl Wolf from Baton Rounge.

thank you all

Ian

F.Y.I> It's Carl with a "C". Smile
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
G'day Julie, thanks you for that correction, Carl Wolf (Merriss magic) of Blaine drive, Baton Rouge.
Got it! by any chance do you know where I could locate his wife as I would like to phone her about Carl's invention.

regards

Ian
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
No, I don't know how to reach his wife. My only contact was a friendly note he sent me when he resumed manufacturing his lock after a long hiatus. I seem to recall George Robinson @ Viking is selling this kind of apparatus now. I don't know if he is the actual manufacturer.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Julie, thank you very much I will try the old number or write a letter to the old address on the original instructions, which I have just een sent.

thank you again

Ian
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Probably is going to be hard to reach her right now as that part of the country is in turmoil after the hurricane Katrina.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I knew Carl Wolf. He was from Baton Rouge, LA. He died several years ago. His family gave most of his magic collection to a friend of mine. He is the inventor of the "Key-r-ect". If you would like email me or pm me and I will see if I can get either his wife or one of his children to call you or email you. I would not want to give you their contact information without their permission. My address is tim@magicbytim.com

Tim
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Hemingway lock is completely different in appearance and function from the Key - R - Rect lock.

There is a similar lock being manufactured in the US now, and Stevens Magic has some of them. I'm not sure of the manufacturer. He may have purchased the rights from the estate.

This said, there are a LOT of other methods that really look better. The Master Lock used by Merriss was a cheap -looking warded lock. A pin tumbler lock would be a much better choice.

There have been a number of them that use a gravity system to do the job.

Also, before there was Key - R - Rect, there was an effect called "The Keys of Judah" which used a pin tumbler lock. The method was different from the Merriss version.

There is a great method that uses an ungimmicked lock, which really bears consideration.

Posted: Jul 8, 2006 9:03pm
I just checked on the lock that I got from Joe Stevens. It is far superior to the old Merriss model. It has a pin tumbler lock and everything. If you want one, order the Bogus Belt. Or maybe Pete has some of them left.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Key-r-ect 7 keys padlock (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL