The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Key-r-ect 7 keys padlock (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2143 Posts

Profile of magicmind
If I may...I had a friend (magic dealer) that had this trick used in his show for years...about 4 years ago, he tried to find another. In his search he found that the guy that built these had passed. My friend talked to the gentlemans wife to see about rights on making the lock, as my friend (also being an enginer) figured out how to make one. Good luck in your search!
Pay it forward
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I have no more Bogus Belts, and I was not involved in the LOCK part of it, Joe Stevens took care of that aspect and I never did get a lock from him. I used the Key-R-Ect that I had laying around here for several years... but... in the routine there is a nice handling using an ungaffed lock and keys with some subtle switching, which is easy as the gag prop gives you all kinds of misdirection.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7338 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I used to put a length of chain down a guy's jacket sleeve and lock the two ends together.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-08-25 10:53, hugmagic wrote:
I used to put a length of chain down a guy's jacket sleeve and lock the two ends together.

Richard

Richard it might even be funnier to chain 2 guys together.
Annemann named his version after Geo. M Cohan's hit Broadway play originally produced in 1913. It was a comedy-mystery, and has been produced many times since. I have seen several televised versions, including one in 1962 with the late Fred Gwynne.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
DLF
View Profile
Regular user
LA via NYC
145 Posts

Profile of DLF
The Hemingway lock is an excellent piece of apparatus.
Ok, I'll meet you at the place near the thing where we went that time.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3733 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The Hemingway Lock and the Key-R-Rect are like polar opposites in operation, however. I love both, and own both. Each has its own features, however. With one, the spectator can open the lock at the conclusion, with the other, the performer has to.

Steve
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This is completely off the subject, but in 1960, I saw Bob Torson do a routine with a lock that was similar to this, but had a pin tumbler. Bob told me it would only work with certain Corbin locks. He could control who could and could not open the lock. It has recently been reissued under various names. I don't know the originator, but it used a gravity system to make it work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mandini
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Mandini
Wow! What a lot of tooing and frowing. The story, chronologically, at least to my recollection, is that Ted Annemann originated Seven Keys to Baldpate, indeed, named after the novel by Earl Derr Biggers (the Charlie Chan creator), or, more likely, after the subsequent movies, the first in 1917, stemming from the 1913 Broadway play by George M. Cohan. It's possible that Tom Sellers' Bank Night (or, in Britain, Just Chance), as well as an earlier idea by Joseph J. Kolar, may have inspired Annemann to adapt that effect to a lock and keys. He evidently devised it to help Max Holden sell more Change Bags, specifically the smaller Spirit Bag that was manufactured by Petrie-Lewis at the time for a Sealed Message Readings switch and maybe other mental-type effects, as well. Holden must have bought a bunch in maybe a deal (possibly hoping to cash in all the residual Great Alexander wannabes who Thayer (and Alexander, for that matter) had earlier made a killing on, as did Bob Nelson later), that he evidently wanted to ratchet up sales of. Annemann's effect, which was published in March, 1931, in his one-and-only hardbound opus, The Book Without a Name, most likely helped Holden do that.

Then other versions, some using trick locks and keys were subsequently originated and some of them marketed, the Stewart Judah one, for example.

In the late '50s, I believe, or early '60s, Ken Allen Products marketed Lock of Gibraltar (neat name) by Carl Wolf, using a lock that, although reportedly sturdy, did not look quite like any lock common at that time (or since, for that matter), but with good instructions and, it appears, was used by some mentalists; and, indeed, Don Alan devised a clever routine, which, I think, was marketed separately by Ireland Magic (for 50 cents, would you believe? - roughly $8.00 in today's money, I think) as was his Chop Cup routine, then later was included in the St. Louis magic dealer, Don Lawton's Exclusive Manuscripts booklets (in Volume Four of five booklets, as I recall) and may well have been included in LOTS OF LAWTON, a compendium of the material in those "manuscripts" published by Magic Inc. around 1965. I could say for sure if I could locate my copy which has eluded me.

Sometime afterward, perhaps around the time Ken Allen sold his business to Bob Follmer (in March, 1965, according to one report), the Lock inventor, Carl Wolf, as Merriss Magic, marketed, as its one-and-only product, his Key-R-Rect (what a name - he should have stuck to the original one) using a far better lock since it was an exact replica of one of the ordinary locks prevalent at the time (Yale, I think it was) and I believe the trick mechanism was better too, from what I read (since I never owned or laid eyes on the Gibraltar original). I bought a Key-R-Rect directly from Merriss/Wolf in 1966 when I was a university student. And I know for certain that Merriss was Carl Wolf because he enclosed a separate signed letter to me, clarifying, or adding to, the instructions. At that time, his business or residence? address, was a place in Michigan, not Louisiana. Whether he actually lived there at the time, I don't know, of course. Perhaps there is a Michigan or Louisiana Forum member that might know that and even might have known Carl.

Following that, other locks were marketed - a further Judah lock, for example, marketed by - or through - Jeff Busby, the (David, presumably) Hemingway Lock and Repro 71's very clever Pentalock which overcame one limitation of Key-R-Rect: the other keys could not be tried on the lock after the effect, because, by then, any one of them would open the lock.

I hope that will help clarify the situation and perhaps there may be other Forum members who may have further details to add or to correct me on.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
What about the Keys Of Judah? Anyone know about it?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. I mentioned it earlier. It depended on inserting a key into the lock, then moving it out one notch to make it work.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-05-20 03:17, Bill Palmer wrote:
Yes. I mentioned it earlier. It depended on inserting a key into the lock, then moving it out one notch to make it work.

The technique used for CW's "Hemingway Lock" and some other models as well as "Keys of Judah."
Dick Christian
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yes/but on the Mellon Version

It's two notches and House of Enchantment was making them in the early 60s The first (I believe) to do it that way.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Mellon put out the Keys of Judah in 1954.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9488 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Thanks Bill

Al I could find was a work order for the lock company, dated in the early 60s. That must have been a second run,
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I cheated. I went to conjuring arts and did a search on it. I found the first ad for it.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Is anyone familiar with Mikame's Luc-Key?

How does it compare to the other mechanisms mentioned in this thread?

Here's a video of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCHniAGAaDc
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This works like Pent-a-Lock. Once you know that particular lock, you can spot it anywhere.

I think this also may be the method that Bob Torson's lock used. I saw Bob perform his version in 1960 at a convention in Houston. He could control who opened the lock and who didn't. It did not look contrived at all.

The first, though was definitely the Annemann version, which used an ungimmicked lock and ungimmicked keys.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ealexm
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of ealexm
Quote:
On 2010-05-18 05:47, Mandini wrote:
... Hemingway Lock and Repro 71's very clever Pentalock which overcame one limitation of Key-R-Rect: the other keys could not be tried on the lock after the effect, because, by then, any one of them would open the lock.

I hope that will help clarify the situation and perhaps there may be other Forum members who may have further details to add or to correct me on.

There is (in addition) a Schlage Lock version where the one key left opens the lock AND due to lost ball construction keying, it negates the other 5 keys. The 5 choices can be made as usual but the remaining key opens (spectator can do it) and all is inspectable.

One key can be shown (by the magician)to operate before mixing the keys. The lock is then in a condition where any of the 6 keys work, triggering the construction device to make the lock operable only by that key. Mechanical. Resetting is a pain.

This is the same PRINCIPLE used by Schlage for the Home Secure Construction Keying whereby there is a construction master useable to lock the house while under construction and workmen of the construction trades can get in, but the first time the owner uses his key, the construction master is negated and cannot be made to work anymore.

The difference for the trick is that the keying (combinating) and the plug drilling is done in an way designed to enable the effect, otherwise the Schlage padlock around the cylinder is normal. These padlocks are rekeyable by loosening a screw in the shackle toe hole when the lock is open. This secret was only known by Palmer Tilden, myself, and a few Schlage employees.

I used for my IBM entry performance, a variation with 6 keys and 6 padlocks. Six spectators each choose a key from six in a glass. Then instead of choosing a key to fit a lock, they chose a lock that they thought might fit their key. (same thing) At my signal they all turned their keys with a resounding click and no other keys operated any lock than the chosen ones. Obviously the notches in the each key differs from all the other keys.
"The universe is almost like a huge magic trick and scientists are trying to figure out how it does what it does"
Read more at: http://www.azquotes.com/author/5341-Martin_Gardner
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
Quote:
There is (in addition) a Schlage Lock version where the one key left opens the lock AND due to lost ball construction keying, it negates the other 5 keys. The 5 choices can be made as usual but the remaining key opens (spectator can do it) and all is inspectable.

This sounds interesting. Do you recall what the effect is called and where it can be bought?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24207 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Repro lock I was thinking of must not have been the Pen-Ta-Lock, because the Repro lock I have uses a system that will work both before and after the unlocking.

Tangential to the subject was a padlock that I think Schlage had, or perhaps it was Kwikset, which may be a subsidiary of Schlage, that you could key to match the locks on your house. I still have the lock, but it doesn't match my house locks any more. When the bump key videos started making their rounds, I replaced all my locks with Mul-T-Locks.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Key-r-ect 7 keys padlock (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL