The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Hours and months... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Samuel
View Profile
Special user
Norway
831 Posts

Profile of Samuel
How can one hour be longer than another hour, and one year be shorter than another year?

(those years with one extra day doesn't count in this "riddle")

-Samuel
Samuel

Magic is everywhere
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Time is

people's measures are
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Sapient
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Sapient
If yeap years don't count, can we still use leap seconds?
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Quote:
On 2005-09-10 11:28, Samuel wrote:
How can one hour be longer than another hour, and one year be shorter than another year?

-Samuel
the clocks go forward and back each year by one hour. When the clocks go back one hour ,one hour becomes 2 hours,and that's how 1 hour becomes longer than another hour.(the time is 2 am the clock goes back to 1 am) (when the clock goes forward ,at 2 am it becomes 3 am) Maybe someone else can get the year solution
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Quote:
On 2005-09-10 11:28, Samuel wrote:

-Samuel
This is a guess.when it was the year 1 BC ,after was 1 AD,there must have been a year in between the 2 dates (but what would it be called, maybe year Zero????) so I say this must be the year that is shorter.
SteveFowkes
View Profile
New user
Oxon, UK
35 Posts

Profile of SteveFowkes
Mike, there was never a year 1 BC until after the year count started, hence the trade in selling fake coins marked BC to gullible tourists. In any case, the period zero to 1BC is exactly the same as zero to 1 AD. That's if you believe in that sort of thing.
Personally, I'm an atheist - thank God!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

As for hours, the lunch hour always goes faster than a working hour.

And the years are definately shorter once you hit 30 years, they just seem to fly by.

Just my observation.

Regards,
Steve
The world is a wonderful place.
Let's make it more so.
Steve
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Thanks steve for putting me straight ,i feel bit of a fool now,at least I learnt something new.
Ok if you say there was no BC the year before AD,then AD was a fixed year so the year before must be shorter (or longer) as there was no year in place.does this make sense, or have I screwed up again?
Stephen Buxton
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Stephen Buxton
Years are defined by the length of time for the planet to rotate about the Sun. Mercury has the shortest year, Pluto (and that planet that was recently discovered) have far longer years.
If you put an infinite number of apes in front of an infinite number of computers, you get a pretty good idea of what internet chat rooms can be like
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Stephen, some calendars got modified a few times in some cultures. There are recorded years with more or less days on the calendar.

Hours... as obseved on clocks sometimes get adjusted by atomic clocks, and when that adjustment occures, I guess you could say that the minute was longer or shorter.

We are using some pretty funky things to define our system measurement these days. Cesium atom decay intervals, wavelengths of light... it gets better Smile
mike paris
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of mike paris
Steven, what about a lunar year 360 days being shorter than an earth year 365.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6423 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
You guys are making me very late for everything!!! Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Well, obviously "one year" is shorter than "another year" . . . by four letters!

That doesn't help with the hours one, though.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
In the 1700's, I believe around 1736, they adjusted the calendar and removed 13 days or something like that. So, for example, the date jumped from April 2 to April 15th as part of the adjustment.
Steve V
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Can we use the hours and years form other celestial bodies, like the ones on Mars being a bit different from the Earths'?
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Quote:
On 2005-09-15 16:13, honus wrote:
Well, obviously "one year" is shorter than "another year" . . . by four letters!

That doesn't help with the hours one, though.

The same thing crossed my mind, but like you I re-read the question and it said "one year" was LONGER than "another year", so that theory went out the window. This strikes me as one of those puzzles that has a roundabout solution, but once you know it it seems very simple. All this talk about other planets, whilst technically correct, is probably on the wrong track.

When do we get our answer?
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Could we be talking, "number of digits"? I don't think this is the cleanest answer, but could it be said that eleven o'clock is longer than, say four o'clock because '12' is longer than '4'? Same for years: '1994AD' is longer than '932AD'?

No, as I said, it doesn't seem "clean" enough. :-S Hmm... back to the drawing board.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Depending on the show or curcumstance, one hour can be much longer than another. And a dog year is shorter than a people year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Puzzle me this... » » Hours and months... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL