The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Bizarrist and the Chess player...any ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
I love Chess as much as I love Bizarre magic..having said that, any ideas you can think of involving "My grandfathers chess set" and a Bizarre effect?

I usually have something to get you all started, but of this, I'm stumped...perhaps an effect with just the pieces, not necessarily the board...

I only know of the ol' Chess trick in Corindas 13 steps...

calling on all you great thinkers...
Baba
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Hmmm...

Let's say your grandfather had a playing buddy... played with him for years... the guy had a favorite play to force checkmate... thinking out loud here...

One day your grandfather was playing with someone else and getting close to the end of a game. Suddenly a piece moved by itself, setting up the friend's move. Later that day your grandfather found out his old friend had died.

Or how about something about a pawn that made it to the last row and changed into a Queen? Think Chop Cup.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Nice...I guess "loops" would accomplish the first part...and boy do I love the Chop...feel free to pm me about doing this! thanx!
montz
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of montz
Hi Gede,

In "Trephine" there is an effect where you have a chess board with a few pieces left on the board. The spectator freely chooses one and moves it... underneath the board is a prediction revealing the spectator's move.

Not going to tip the method here... perhaps saying that the prediction was held shut with a paper clip, and a similar method can be found in Sheherazade (The Devil's Doorway effect about coincidence) will be enough?!?!

Any more help needed Gede my man, drop me a line.

Cheers,

Liam.
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
The queen had a secret lover, one of the knights. but as the knight gets killed, she was so hurt, that "blood" tears started to run down from her eyes...(u need a cheap set of chess one that you wont be sorry for ACCIDENTLY ruining it) gede, you are a m a z I n g, for some reason you get my grey matter working!! think borodin or pm me
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Laureline, the girlfriend of one of my friends wrote a very nice story/effect about a chess board. His boyfriend is a top chess player in France... and I helped her to create some very simple effect.
I can't develop the story here, plus it's her property, but the basic idea turned around a ghost story with a very old chess board, previously owned by a great chess player. A boy discovered the board and start learning to play with the ghost of the previous owner. The boy learns how to become a great chess player, a champion. But, as success comes, he leaves the plays with the ghost and the board wasn't use anymore. One day, he completely leaves the chess board.
While telling the story, you finished some kind of ghost game, with a chessmate move.
And suddenly, the mate king falls, with a loud noise...
Veryyyyyyyyyyyy creepy effect.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Montz! Great to see you, and excellent idea! I cant get the book right now, but am dying to find out more...

Pkg, that's wonderful as well...hey, check this:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=14

this is my stigmata variation...follow the link there and tell me if that stuff would do the job...

and Curator, as always you have me intrigued with the details...the variations to this seem endless...

Im trying to include something along these lines in my upcoming book, Vo du Ma gick, a project in conjunction with Mr. Skin, a fellow bizarrist here...

thanx! and keep the ideas flowing...

Baba
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Definetly! it would eliminate the hard work to "load" the Queen! and, it is possible to play a couple of moves with a ghost (well a whole game would take a long time!) but I think you will need the help of some electronics "master" if you are interested I can pm you with the idea and maybe u'll find an easier way to do it!

No really!!
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Check out "The Grand Master Gambit" in Syzygy issue 14 Volume 1 page 63. It's something which could easily be woven into a story for a great presentation...
can't remember the creators name right now but I am sure he is a great thinker and a handsome deil to boot! Smile

gambit
sinnead zenun
View Profile
Elite user
Mt. Makiling
408 Posts

Profile of sinnead zenun
Here's my take for the chess board... this only a draft and my humble idea...
of course some had been suggested before.

my grandfather used to tell me that the game of chess is a game of war... using your mind,skills and tactics to destroy your opponent. Is war a game after all? yes chess might be a game of mind but it is a symbolic representation between a war between two kingdoms.
some soldiers died and never to be found. (vanish a pawn)
some are burned at the castle tome. (vanish a bishop using a flash paper) kingdoms burned and crumble to stones. (vanish a black rook using switching for some ground black pepper or anything similar...)
widowed wife cries in their husband tombs (blood flows underneath the queen,like blood from stone)
women,children were crying, houses are burnt, bloods flow like a river...
as the skies goes dim and the night had come... relentless ghost spirits of the fallen one (the king suddenly moves using a loop or magnet)...
wanna play chess with me? Smile
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Take a look at "Board Walk Attractions: Madame Zelda" in The Wizards' Journal #5 (on my site) and you might get a few ideas for turning this into a chess playing "automaton."
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
Quote:
On 2005-09-11 04:46, sinnead zenun wrote:
Here's my take for the chess board... this only a draft and my humble idea...
of course some had been suggested before.

my grandfather used to tell me that the game of chess is a game of war... using your mind,skills and tactics to destroy your opponent. Is war a game after all? yes chess might be a game of mind but it is a symbolic representation between a war between two kingdoms.
some soldiers died and never to be found. (vanish a pawn)
some are burned at the castle tome. (vanish a bishop using a flash paper) kingdoms burned and crumble to stones. (vanish a black rook using switching for some ground black pepper or anything similar...)
widowed wife cries in their husband tombs (blood flows underneath the queen,like blood from stone)
women,children were crying, houses are burnt, bloods flow like a river...
as the skies goes dim and the night had come... relentless ghost spirits of the fallen one (the king suddenly moves using a loop or magnet)...
wanna play chess with me? Smile

hahaha wonderful!

BTW you also might be interested in reading about the 'mechanical Turk' which was a piece of chess playing automaton as mentioned in the previous post, with some interesting and devious features... there is a particularily good book on it called, strangely enough, 'The Mechanical Turk', it's by Tom Standage...
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
243 Posts

Profile of galerius
Do You know the Devil's checkmate problem ? It's a nice chess problem with a surprise...after the last move the pieces shape a cross on the chessboard. Devil screams and vanishes etc. You could arrange a routine on it, maybe.
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I was thinking about the chess automaton when I read the first post. It seems Hexagon was thinking along similar lines. Here is a weblink to some information about the Turk.

http://grg.org/Turk.htm

Now, A bizarre story could be about a traveling exhibit that featured a chess playing automaton in the 1700s. Though it was advertised as a mechanical marvel, the owner of the exhibit used the skills of a chess playing dwarf imprisoned inside, (though the above link disputes the size of the inside operator).

The dwarf was a man named Cyrus. After the show, The entrepreneur would slide a box next to the automaton and Cyrus would slip into the box. The entrepreneur, Professor Dimitri Spurious never allowed Cyrus to escape from the box. Cyrus was too valuable. Once a week, the Professor would remove Cyrus for a bath. Those brief moments, were his only opportunity to be uncaged. Nobody knew the real workings of the automaton as Professor Spurious kept this information very secret. The automaton was celebrated as an undefeated wonder of human engineering.

It came about, that Princess Augusta Sophia (1768-1840), 2nd daughter of George III heard about the chess playing automaton. The princess was interested in math and was schooled in the game of chess. Arrangements were made for the Princess to have a private audience with the automaton.

Professor Spurious was delighted with the interest of the Princess. He knew that her patronage would transfer more credibility and riches to him. He agreed to her request.
The Professor mused to himself about whether it was best for the Princess to win or to lose to the automaton. He instructed Cyrus that it would be best for the automaton to lose to Princess Augusta. Then others would pay more to try to beat the machine.

On the day of the appointment, all went well. It was a rousing chess game, still recounted in some famous books on the game. Princess Augusta lost a very dramatic game. The automaton remained undefeated. She seemed untroubled and rewarded the Professor well for the private opportunity to have played the automaton.

Upon returning to his hotel room, the Professor opened the box. Angrily, he demanded that Cyrus come out and receive the punishment for disobeying his instructions to lose.
When Cyrus refused to exit the underside of the automaton, the Professor grabbed his arm and pulled the lifeless body from the automaton.

The Professor was horrified to realize that by the body’s appearance, Cyrus had been dead for a few days.

The Professor disposed of the body and fled to a monastery, seeking salvation.

An account of Princess Augusta and the automaton was written by Lady Ada Lovelace, the first computer programmer. More info about Lady Ada can be found here at http://www.agnesscott.edu/lriddle/women/love.htm

Automatons are true. Princess Augusta is true. Lady Ada is true.
The professor and the rest of the story is spurious.

Cheers – El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
mickey.w
View Profile
Veteran user
HK
312 Posts

Profile of mickey.w
Tyr simply as the closer.....at the end of the game, the last piece is moved, calling checkmate. The board is left in silence.

2 seconds later, the king slowly collaspe itself, and so does all the other pieces....all dramatically drop to the borad surface.
weepinwil
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
3495 Posts

Profile of weepinwil
How about combining a few of the chess pieces with an ouiji board to play a spelling type game to reveal a prediction?
"Til Death us do part!" - Weepin Willie
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1885 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
This is juta fragment of an idea I'v had floating around. Some of the electronic chest games can be cranked up to a level where thay are truely unbeatable. If a person known tp have no knwlege of the game were to be put in secre contact with an unsee helper with such a equiped with such a game, he would seem to become possessed with the mantel of a grandmaster. There may a ffec in here somewhere.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-09-12 08:05, weepinwil wrote:
How about combining a few of the chess pieces with an ouiji board to play a spelling type game to reveal a prediction?

ww, that's an excellent thought ! Nearly every other post was a version of PK , but that's a unique and different perspective. Not that there's anything wrong with PK effects !!

I would suggest a version of that, but dropping the ouija board though, and use the number of squares as some sort of mathematical prediction.
You could go by the number of squares moved forward, or the number of pieces moved forward, each piece with a different assigned value..
This is a really raw idea of course, and would get pretty complex to work out, but let's say you started a game with a participant, and rigidly timed it. If at the end of that time, you could count the squares or pieces is some manner to match a numerical prediction taped underneath the chessboard..

And some more random PK ideas (these too are raw ideas) (oh what the heck, they're fun !)

* Use a chess piece as a voodoo doll. Allow the spec to stick a pin in it somewhere, and you show a sympathetic wound on your body.
* Use a chess piece like an Okito Voodoo doll - start with the recently checkmated King upright in your palm, and let him down easily, as he dies. It'd be much better if you could steal out the gimmick and then hand him out.

Here's an odd thought Ba - I mean, Gede.
Is there a way to do a reading with Chess pieces ? Maybe after several moves, a person could have a devination - with the various pieces representing various qualities, virtues or flaws. The Rook could stand for Strength and stubbornness. The Knight could stand for Courage, honor and impulsiveness, the Bishop would represent authority, purity and self-righeousness, the Pawn: innocence and naitivity, the Queen and King, um.. I dunno, you take it from there.
You get the idea ;-)
I didn't research it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there isn't already a form of "Chessmancy" or some such thing. There's seems to be a "mancy" for everything !

Here's an ever weirder thought - use the chess pieces to tell stories.
You could tell the story of Rapunzel by putting the queen up on top of the rook, then having the king or knight come to rescue her ..
In another scenario, the pieces represent a large family: the K and Q are the Father and Mother, the Pawns the children, the Bishops the servants; tell how the daughter wanted a pony (Knight) for her birthday.. I don't know what to make of the Rook though, to be honest ;-)

Sorry if that wasn't much help, I'm just a raw idea kind of guy lately. ;-p
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Sinnead, what a great routine...

Galeruis, where to find out more?

EL lamo, good stuff! I have ben researching the automaton...intriguing story...

moving the pieces with IT or whathaveyou would be tricky...perhaps in a seance enviro.

Ouija board may have potential as far as a prediction is concerned...

Mystician with your technical mind, all that math would be fine, but I havent such a mind..though I am a swell Chess player...

I think I will seek to make a prediction routine...perhaps mixing the ol' equivoque in there somewhere...having them pick the "white" or "black" squares...eliminating the one I need to..then have them "choose"{ my grandpa's "sealed Move" the one that won him the game, but cost him his life...

thanx so much everyone!!! I am so joyful to have such a resevoir of strong minds...

well, got a plane to catch...

Baba
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
Hmmmm, maybe all the white squares turn to black or vice versa (i know it's kinda high tech! but think would be worth it with THE story!)

No really!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Bizarrist and the Chess player...any ideas? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL