The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Bizarrist and the Chess player...any ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
243 Posts

Profile of galerius
Dear Gede, I didn't find that chess problem on the net, so unfortunately I can't give You a link ; however I have it on a book.
Do You know algebraic chess notation ?

POSITION of PIECES on the BOARD
White : Ke3, Be4, Nd4, pf3
Black : Ke8, Qb7, Bd3, Be7, Ne5, Ne6, Rb2, Rf6

In this problem, BLACK ( the Devil ) moves first, remember :
1) Q x e4 +, p x Q ;
2) Rf3 + , N x f3 ;
3) Re2 ++
Checkmate, but the Devil drew a cross on chessboard...Smile

If You have doubts or need further explanations send me a PM.
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
Kotah has a nice little number called "Games Most Strange" on the http://www.dragonskull.co.uk website. It's behind the "secret passage"- follow the link at the bottom of the "lectures" page, and enter the password. There's a ton of great effects there.

Jeremiah
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
Kotah has a nice little number called "Games Most Strange" on the http://www.dragonskull.co.uk website. It's behind the "secret passage"- follow the link at the bottom of the "lectures" page, and enter the password. There's a ton of great effects there.

Jeremiah
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
I guess it never occured to me to think of combining the two interest, however, there have been some very thought provoking post here. I will look into this more as I am now interested.
MM
Butler # 254
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Galerius, yes I read it plain and it would be great with a strong story behind it!!

Pkg, when you invent such a board, give me the first one! complex stuff!

Jbohn, yes, I read that and loved it...its what sparked me further, thanx!

and, definitely Freemason, with so much history behind the "game" (if I may insult it thus), and so many great people from Napolean, to Ben Franklin who worshipped the game, surely there are plenty stories abound waiting to be told about this, a great inner journey.

so far, Im experimenting with A) the paper clip under the board (thanx Liam) and B) equivoque the "chosen" pieces, and narrow it down to the final move.

thanx everyone! 'Tis why this particular forum is my home...
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6463 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
If you use a game against the devil theme then you could have one of the squares covered with a light coat of glycerin then under the appropriate piece you have the other chemical that reacts with glycerin under the piece. When that piece is set down on the covered square you will get a smoke and fire reaction... the devil has appeared.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
102 Posts

Profile of jbohn
Now THAT'S a cool idea...

Jeremiah
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I love the Devil checkmate problem...
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of galerius
Yes, Mr. Chelman, is a good one...meanwhile I found another, longer version of this problem by Charles Godfrey Gumpel, who in 1878 created also a well known chess-automaton, Mephisto. It appeared on the chessmagazine La Strategěe, accompanied by a story about an italian chess player of Renaissance, Paolo Boi, playing with a woman of startling beauty who is the devil in disguise. In this version it's the Good ( white ) drawing the sign of Cross, but I think it's funnier and ironic if it's the devil himself doing that.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Or it may be the beginning of a strange vampire story...
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of galerius
Yes, the Cross could work against a Vampire too...but Devil - as well as Death - are traditional opponents in chess...they have a special appeal Smile
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Ok, I'm done with a story, but it's in French for the moment.
Do you read French, Galerius ?
pkg
View Profile
Inner circle
The City of Ithobaal I son of Hiram I
1356 Posts

Profile of pkg
The curator! I speak fluent french! if you don't mind sharing....
Double posters should be shot!

No really!!
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
243 Posts

Profile of galerius
Yes, I read and speak French, Curator ( btw I live very close to the french border ).
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Ok, I PM you both the story.
Once in English, I'll send you too Gede.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
THANX!! cant wait. say, is your book still on track for halloween??

good to see this thread actually got a lot of my magi interested and involved...for once, nay, twice...lol
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Yep, the book is on his way
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3825 Posts

Profile of The Curator
The story in French is here: http://www.surnateum.org/french/surnateu......loup.htm
The English version will be posted later.
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
How about a blind chess game. The chess board is hidden from your view behind a screen and the spectator plays their moves, silently, and you tell them your moves. You can even tell them when they move the wrong piece, or chuckle when they make a foolish move. Somehow, you know the location of all the pieces, yours by memory and theirs by divination. The method, while not cheap, is doable, and my own. Mix it all with a nice smokey Voodoo environment, tell other stories during the game, it's all up to you. Not a typical magic effect, certainly a single miracle.
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Sounds like a bizarre Chess "piece" (pun) par excellence...

what an effect this would have...

now, after ALL these wonderful ideas, no one can ever say Chess cannot be Bizarre!

you guys are the best...my life has been fulla joy since the Café...

...in the Beginning was the WORD...and the WORD is INSPIRATION...and that's what goes on here...Creation....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Bizarrist and the Chess player...any ideas? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL