The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Leaving one out (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic_Ram
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Magic_Ram
The "card on forehead", as done by Michael Finney and probably by other magician, is for my opinion hilarious. I still remember how much I laughed when seeing it for the first time. However the last time I performed it, I had some thoughts about it. I did it in front of a group which was familiar with one another. After finishing the group continued to mark the guy that was with me. I felt uncomfortable on putting him in such a position. I guess any sucker effect is a little uncomfortable for the spectator, but this trick makes a sucker only of one guy and not from all the audience.
I will appreciate your thoughts on this subject.
Modest Homeowner
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Modest Homeowner
What it means to "mark the guy?"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I was wondering the same thing.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
I think he means "mock."

I think any routine that mocks or makes fun of a spectator, except in special circumstances (such as among a bunch of performers) is a bad idea. The sting can be be lessened by ensuring that the "victim" understands it is all in fun, but it still probably hurts somewhat. For others to continue to "rub it in" is inexcusable. I enjoy Michael Finney's performances immensely, and I would like to believe that the "victim" is in on the gag or otherwise prepared beforehand.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
No the victim is NOT in on the gag. The point is to make them feel less like an idiot, which is tough to do.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magic_Ram
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Magic_Ram
Blame my bad english. I meant ofcourse "make fun of the guy".
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
So then, how can one lessen the sting? Any suggestions?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
As funny as this routine is, I don't do it for that reason. Even when Michael Finney (arguably one of the best at it) did it on his DVD series, I felt bad for the spectator and though Michael made him look like an idiot. The spec laughed and looked to be at least pretending to enjoy it, but I don't think he really did. I know some people can pull this (and other sucker effects) off well, but it definitely takes a very likeable personality, and even then there's a risk of offending someone, or if not offending them, at least embarrassing them and turning one more person away from magic and magicians. Handle with care!
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
The above post should say "THOUGHT Michael made him look like an idiot," not "THOUGH Michael made him look like an idiot."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Leaving one out (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL