The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card college or daryls encyclopedia of card sleights (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
I have heard great amount about Card college but I don't own them..just curious..i own daryls encyclopedia of card sleights..all of them. I think there are pretty much most of the information from card college.do you think I should still get the card college??Isnt the daryl dvd more than enough??i feel its enough but still not sure.educate me please.
one eyed man is the king in the blind land
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
I can't really advise you in this matter because I do not know what the DVD series entails but I do know about the Card College series of books because I own all of them. The books are very good and are worth the investment. Books IMHO are more versatile because you don't need a DVD player to view them. If I were you I'd be satisfied with the DVDs for now( I've heard they are good). Maybe someone who owns both will provide a better answer or advice. I've made my choice...I'll stick with books anyday. Good Luck! Smile

<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
243 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
I have gone the card college route, too, adding a new volume when I have gone through the material in a given book. Sometimes, I wish that I could have a video of certain moves, to help in learning the handling, but I like the card college books and the details they provide. Since you already have the Daryl Encyclopedia, I'm not sure what more the card college could give you. You probably have more than enough to learn. I'd invest instead in a book which gives you routines and effects which will allow you to use the skills obtained from Daryl's encyclopedia. Try Vernon's Trilogy... There are many others, too. ... I burn out from too much studying of the card college, and need to have/develop routines to use some of the moves to balance things out.

Chris
lui
View Profile
Regular user
Berlin, Germany
108 Posts

Profile of lui
Well, I think it depends how helpful those DVDs are to You.
  • If You watched them and they worked good for You, You probably handle at least some basic sleights. Why not look in some sources that focus on the application of those sleights, so that You can practice them in some trick.

• If You have problems with some moves despite the DVD, you might look up that specific topic at your local magic dealer store, or any fellow magician or maybe even ask some more remote magician to send You a copy of that page. If the text helps You a lot, buy that book !

• If it don’t help you, don’t buy the book. Look for some kind of mentor our group of like minded.

If money isn’t the issue, buy the card college. In my eyes it is the fundamental work on cards, it will give Your collection some sophisticated touch and later you will rather take a short glimpse in a book than a dvd.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Both are excellent, Daryl's videos certainly show you how to do the moves with some good hints from Daryl on learning and mastering them. Some folks learn better from written media, others from visual. I have to admit to using both, plus others. I've found Daryl's excellent, Harry Lorayne's excellent, and many others for learning card moves. I've also learned a lot from Card College, Royal Road to Card magic and many other books. One of the key elements to learning is the number of different resources available to you to learn, the more you use, the better and more. A book on the table unread, a video not watched, and cards not practiced with does not a magician make.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Card College is not something like a book version of Daryl's DVD's. The differences are significant.
Daryl's DVD's are just a collection of a ton of moves. He is more of a demonstrator than a teacher.
Card College on the other hand is a very thourough, comprehensive course in the art of conjuring with cards. The books teach everything: from technique, to tricks, presentation, timing, misdirection, psychology etc.
sfx
View Profile
New user
South Africa
12 Posts

Profile of sfx
I must agree with Uli, Card College is in my opinion the best resource for learning card magic. I have both Card College and Daryls DVD's I mainly use Daryl's work to check on how a move or sleight should look.
sfx
View Profile
New user
South Africa
12 Posts

Profile of sfx
I must agree with Uli, Card College is in my opinion the best resource for learning card magic. I have both Card College and Daryls DVD's I mainly use Daryl's work to check on how a move or sleight should look.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Well, the books give you a description of the moves, while the DVDs provide a visual experience. But Card College is more than a collection of moves, it is a learning course, and at the end of each chapter you get effects to work with each teached move. I would recomment them strongly!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Steve Haffner
View Profile
Regular user
Kentucky
108 Posts

Profile of Steve Haffner
I'm also going the Card College route, but I too sometimes can't picture exactly how a move is supposed to look, even though Giobbi's descriptions are thorough. That's when I wish I had a video.

I am lucky enough that the proprietor of the local magic shop is very skilled and knowledgable with cards and is more than willing to spend time with me and help me work out any difficulties with the sleights or effects, or even offer alternate handlings.

I spend a few extra bucks to buy the books from him instead of from an online shop, but the service is well worth it!

- Steve
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
By the way, Volumes 1 & 2 of Card College are also available as Ebooks with integrated videoclips of the various moves.
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Thank you for the help..now I could somehow see the difference..yes I think both daryls dvd and card college would make a better impact..learn from the books and watch the demonstration from the dvd will give me maximum knowledge..question answered..bless you guys to put in so much of trouble and time for me..
Sleightly_Done
View Profile
New user
Orange Park, Florida
76 Posts

Profile of Sleightly_Done
I have both and would not give either of them up. They are among the very best references in my library, and I use both as constant references.
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
Card College without shadow of a doubt
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
icicular
View Profile
New user
USA
75 Posts

Profile of icicular
Card College is an excellent all-round volume for gaining knowledge and technique. It's very very good. HOWEVER>>>>> I learned SO MUCH from the first three volumes of Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights. I agree with Sleightly_Done, they are both wonderful resources to have.
A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B. - Fats Domino
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
I am a fan of Card College as well. Someone above mentioned wishing to see the moves in Card College. You can do that. Chris Wasshuber has developed just this approach with the author of Card College. You can order a CD from him which includes all the text plus video clips of all the moves. The video clips are of Giobbi showing the moves. It is a very complete and well-designed package; certainly worth a look.

http://www.lybrary.com/magic-cards-c-21_27.html

Smile

Gary
jack_is_dead
View Profile
Regular user
japan
173 Posts

Profile of jack_is_dead
Ok I have just got my card college books..they are great..everything was explained in the smallest detail..I love it and I don't regret the cost of this product..I work with both card college and daryl(if I have the time) its better than having just either one!great!
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
I have all dvds and books. I learned a lot from both, but I like Card College better because the tricks are very good, and all the moves and sleights are taught very well, and the bookssare organized and easy to follow.

It depends which when way you learn better from. The daryl series is good, but with card college you get a lot more for your money, that will last a lifetime.
Mago Gregorio
View Profile
Elite user
Paris, France
473 Posts

Profile of Mago Gregorio
Looking for serious magic ? go to Card College, no doubt.
Smile Smile Smile
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1110 Posts

Profile of Chris
If one would have to put the first 4 volumes of Card College on a DVD, one would need about 64 hours worth of DVD. No kidding. I spoke about this with Roberto Giobbi, and as you can imagine he has received countless lucrative offers to do a DVD. He rejected all these offers, because he thought it is simply impossible to put Card College on DVD. There is so much knowledge and wisdom in it, that you need the written word.

With the ebooks we have combined the best of both worlds. You get the book (actually updated by 15-20 pages per volume) plus video clips to every move. Besides a personal tutor, there is no better way of studying this material.

Daryl is a wonderful performer and a skilled card handler. But his encyclopedia is simply just not in the same class as Card College is - nothing else is, BTW. But then I may be biased.

Best,
Chris....
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Card college or daryls encyclopedia of card sleights (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL