The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How to get paid on your terms? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Let me preface this by saying I work in restaurants regularly but have never come across this. I cold sold a place tonight and they were very interested. We spoke about what I could/couldn't do, times I would work ( assuming I get the gig) and my price. The guy told me though, that they do have an entertainment budget but it would be up to corporate. Fine with me, but he wasn't sure if they would be dealing with cash, check, or getting a paycheck along with th regular employees. He said he wsn't sure because other vendors are not paid cash etc. To the question, if he comes back and says I would be getting a paycheck, what are some good ways to possibly get out of that and get the check that night. I don't need to work there, I don't have to work there, I would just like to work there as they are a better than average chain and as a bonus, he offered to feed me after every night of work on top of my price. Thanks in advance for your help.

travis
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Just tell them that you should get paid by check out of the budget(entertainment or just "cost of doing buisness").

They might say that corp needs you to get paperwork from payroll then you just have to decide how important it is to you.

"Fine with me, but he wasn't sure if they would be dealing with cash, check, or getting a paycheck along with th regular employees."

He shouldn't be "not sure" about anything.... you tell him that you will be getting paid by cash. If he is not sure they you are going to get paid by cash, only if he is sure about check or payroll will you not get paid with cash.

This is somethingh you should be telling him imho and help him out, he probably hasnt hired a magician before.
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Thanks, he did say he had never worked with a magicain before. I am not that stuck on working there that I can't not work there. I don't want a "paycheck" in the common sense. Just if not for any other reason, it's beter for me for tax purposes to claim the cash.
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sounds like one of those corporate chains places where the boss is anything but. It's almost amazing your sales pitch made it far enough up the chain that you this close to being hired.

Most places I have worked have paid cash, but many have paid by check. All have paid me the night of the gig with one exception... it was a place where I was the house magician, and on 5 nights a week. My checks came every other week, the same time the other employees got paid, although mine had no taxes withheld. In that instance, it was easier all the way around. I had plenty of daily cash from tips.

This is definitely something that you want to have answered BEFORE you start working for them. You should also have a prepared invoice/receipt for him, to be presented either at the time you are paid, or at the very least, to be signed by the manager, so that you have a signed copy, showing that you have worked, the date you worked, and the amount due, if you are to be paid at a later date. I hate to make that part sound too pessimistic, but whenever someone is evasive on payment proceedures, I see flags going up. Sometimes though, the store's policies are just not like everyone else's. I was once categorized as a cigarette machine, in order to properly put my fee into something that would make life simpler for the bookkeeper. You never know, huh?

However, even with all the precautions, sometimes things get snarled up. I just recently got paid for a job in which a school signed the contract and sent a deposit, yet failed to pay the balance in accordance with the contract terms. They were weeks late, and my liason was a socialite band booster mother who couldn't have cared less... after all, she wasn't the one who was responsible for cutting the checks. She only arranged for me to work the event.

It would be nice if you could find out who actually makes the decisions for that corporation and talk to them directly. Unfortunately, the rank and file of these kinds of places breed a flock of managers, and district managers who not only live in fear of the next person upline, they usually have aspirations of getting to that point themselves, and their egos will not allow someone to go over their heads, lest they look ineffective at their present job.

Now, pessimism aside... Daegs was right in speculating that this whole scenario may be new to the local manager. If so, make sure they understand what you will be doing for them, AND what they will be doing for you. Make sure all things are covered and mutually resolved. The last thing you want are uncertainties that create obstacles after the machine is in motion.

The best thing you have going for you Travis, is that you said you don't NEED to work there. If they won't present themselves ready to practice defined, and agreeable business proceedures, then it may be best to let someone else have those headaches. The odds are you'll get this worked out fine, though.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
If you don't need the money badly just take it the way he wants to pay it. Why not? It makes his life easier so he will remember that. It saves you the problem of having to wait if he is busy for your check, it assures that it will be there every week or 2, if he is not there one week you will still get paid. It seems like there are tons of benifits and no real downside, unless you need the money immediatly. If that is the case then being a chain you will probably have to invoice him, and worry about you own taxes.

Don't forget that however the chain pays you taxes are a must. If you let them pay you by check, they will pay 1/2 of them for you. If not they will tell the government that they gave you an income and YOU can pay all of them. That is by the way a GROSS OVERSIMPLIFICATION of tax liability, but it is something to consider anyway.

Take it their way, you won't be sorry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tpdmagic
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of tpdmagic
From my experience with agents/and restraunts I have come accross this a time or two...LOL The only thing I can really say is if you want to work there work on there terms for the money. Corprate gigs, and agents sometimes wait a month or longer to get the entertainer paid. In fact I am waiting on a nice some of money right now for a 2 month gig I had that ended a couple of weeks ago. I could be upset but why it is corprate b.s. so I just wait I know they will get me my money. So I guess it depends on how bad you really want the gig.
Good luck
tpdmagic
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Corporate restaurant chains can take a while to pay you. For instance, a restaurant I work for is a corporate chain that paid me cash up until about a month ago. The district financial guy told the manager I had to start invoicing and they would send me a check. I'm still waiting for my first check from a gig I did almost a month ago now. I put a due date on my invoice of 3 weeks from the performance date, but I didn't put a penalty on there. I'm thinking about putting 35% late fee clause on the next invoice, to give them a little more incentive to get things out on time.
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
It is highly unlikely that a chain will pay you in cash. They must be able to show the expense so they can deduct it as an expense.

You are responsible for all taxes due as you are not an employee. They will also send you a 1099 at the end of the year & you must show the income & pay your taxes when you file your income tax return.

While you will most likely be paid by check, it might be a week behind or it might be a month behind. Each chain has a different payment policy.

If you need the money each week & can't go to a bank to cash the check, why not make as part of your arangement that you will sign the check & give it back to the manager & then he will give you the cash.

I think most of us reading this know why you want cash. You are just wrong if you try & make a company break the law by paying you under the table. Your request might work when you are dealing with a single restaurant & you are dealing with the owner.

Just accept the payment terms they lay out or you may find that you limit where & who you can work for.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
In the past 20 years, I have worked for MANY chains that paid by cash. The important thing, in almost every case was an invoice or receipt. They need the paper trail to show where the money went.

The main point of this thread is not how they plan to pay, but to being sure that all terms are laid out, understood, and agreed to by ALL parties concerned BEFORE the work begins.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
JeffWampler
View Profile
Regular user
Bristol, TN
191 Posts

Profile of JeffWampler
One restaurant I worked for paid me by check. They sent my invoice to the corporate office and they sent me the check through the mail, no taxes withheld.

There was a good side and bad side to this:

The bad side was that it took a month for me to "get in the system" as the manager put it. So I was working a month before I got paid. After that, I could expect a check in my mailbox every Monday just like clockwork.

The good side was that after leaving the restaurant (due to a change in corporate policy), I was recieving checks for the month after.

I personally don't see a problem getting paid the way that fits THEIR system. Sure you're a professional and you SHOULD get paid on YOUR terms, but landing a restaurant gig means THOUSANDS of dollars in income and shows booked. And if you think about total customer value of shows booked from the restaurant...whew...the numbers are really amazing.

I just don't think I'd be rocking the boat too much in the beginning. That's just my opinion...
lowphat
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
240 Posts

Profile of lowphat
Oringinally the restaurant chain had paid me in cash. Michael is right, they just need to leave a paper trail which was basically a little slip of paper with my name, taxid number, the amount, and the reason. I guess with things now I'm just "getting into the system".
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Well Allan, being paid under the table is not the goal. I work two ther restaurants and get paid cash, I sign a form every week at both places saying I recieved the cash with the understanding I will get some sort of 1099 at the end of the year to pay said taxes. Not to get on a soap box, I am in the military and defend this great nation(17 years so far), the last thing I need is to skip out on some piddly taxes. Anyway, as I said before, I don't need to work there, I want to work there as I love magic and it gets me more spending money for my monthly date night with the wife. Seems as if the only way could be there way. I was just checking to see if anyone had dealt with this before. Thanks for all your answers.
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
Allan
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Allan
To RTClark,

First & foremost. Thank you for the being in the military. We all appreciate the sacrifices you make on our behalf.

Sorry about assuming it was about taxes. From your post it sort of looked like that was what it was about.

If they will do it your way, great. If not, do it their way & get the gig.

Good luck in both the military & the magic. Stay safe.

Allan
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Thanks, appreciate it. I guess everything can't be on our terms. Wish it could but whatever. Plus, the guy called me back a little bit ago to ask more questions and clarify price. Must be interested. It's good to have someone that interested in me that I don't have to call them back to check status.
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Like I said take it on their terms. It will work out best for you in the long run.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I'm not totally certain on this, but I believe you are on a paycheck to cover their backs. If the restaurant you want to work is a chain then they are watched by the government, and they certainly cannot give you cash or a check to cash regularly because that would go under scruntiny over the long run. They are a buisness and as such all their money must be taxed to protect themselves. Try and look from their side of the fence, I too work restaurants however I have a buisness name that I work under and I have to pay my taxed just the same as they do. It's just how it works I guess.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
A lot has been said already. It is just the reality of working restaurants. It seems that either way you will have to turn in an invoice. Keep records of this. You will also have to fill out a W-9 form so they can send out your income info at the end of the year for tax purposes.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
And if by check, etc., you can write off the cost of props, travel to job, wardrobe needs, etc. etc.

You are now going into a legit business.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
rtclark
View Profile
Veteran user
Panama City, FL
309 Posts

Profile of rtclark
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. I am playing the waiting game now. I did verify that he had never worked with a magician before so... Whatever the outcome, if he offers, I a going to accept as he (seems) very genuine.
Rtclark

"When do I get IT"
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I've always been paid cash while working restraunts, then again...they were Italian places, so...

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How to get paid on your terms? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL