The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How to get paid on your terms? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2932 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I fill out a vendor form from the restaurant I work in, and they pay me by check every other week "at the restaurant". No waiting. The form is a standard vendor expense form the has a space for my name, address, phone #. Social Security # and the service I provided. This Sunday will be my 3rd year anniversary and there has never been a problem with payment. At the end of the year they send me a W4 form.

David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
StuBeck
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of StuBeck
Unfortunately some establishments don't recognize that we are professional entertainers, providing a valuable and professional service no different than food and beverage distributors, cleaning and uniform suppliers.
Yes, our service is different (mostly to us) but to the CPA firm of Dewey, Cheatum and Howe, we are a number...(Gasp! They haven't seen your 2X lift, THEN they'd change their mind!)
Anyway, carry yourself polished and professional with the appropriate material, dress, promptness form the initial phone contact...and deliver an EXCELLENT producet and you should be able to negociate anything on your terms!

SB
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've been paid by cash or check. Either way, I sign something saying that I received the cash. Usually, I'm given a 1099 to fill out - it's such a simple form that you'd never think that it came from the IRS.

I won't be put on anyone's payroll, unless they give me an expense account, too.
Wayne M
View Profile
New user
Bucks
24 Posts

Profile of Wayne M
I get payed by cheque at the end of every month and as long as I get my invoice faxed to them on time I always get payed on time. One tip that I do evry month without fail is after about 10-15mins after you faxed the invoice just quickly call the Manager (or whoever is dealing with you cheque) just to confirm receipt. This makes sure you get paid & on time. I agree with Alan I would never go on the restaurants payroll as another employee even if I could really need the job.
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
252 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Quote:
On 2005-09-14 04:22, Dannydoyle wrote:

Don't forget that however the chain pays you taxes are a must. If you let them pay you by check, they will pay 1/2 of them for you. If not they will tell the government that they gave you an income and YOU can pay all of them. That is by the way a GROSS OVERSIMPLIFICATION of tax liability, but it is something to consider anyway.

If you are considered an independent contrator,It does not matter if they pay you with cash or check, you will be responsible for all taxes. You want to be an independent contractor not an employee. As an employee they will withold taxes, provide insurance, and workmans compensation. You will also probably be ask eventually to bus tables, wait on customers, and clean the bathroom, not do magic. You want to be independent not an employee. Suggest that they pay you from petty cash or invoice them. Petty cash is immediate, an invoice will take from 30 to 90 days to get your check.

Be independent and go for the cash.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20378 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have never once been asked to do anything but magic no matter HOW I get paid.

That is just wrong. I have taken an occasional drink to a table to speed things up, but that is another topic.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » How to get paid on your terms? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL